Old 2020-06-23, 15:24   #287
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,313 Posts

Quote:
Something is going on:
Well, it's still unusual, and still unexplained, at least in the sources I have seen. I guess the world hasn't ended, yet.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9580701.html

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-06-23 at 15:27 Reason: link
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-23, 21:17   #288
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2CA516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
OMFG
Saints Presarve Us! (seriously. this is super scary)
UH, where was the "we are living in a police state!" hueing and crying when similar, except even more brutal, methods were deployed on Occupy Wall Street protests under the previous administration? And that wasn't just various local PDs doing thuggish things on their own - that was a nationwide multi-city crackdown coordinated at the highest levels of government at the behest of the TBTF banks:
Quote:
It was more sophisticated than we had imagined: new documents show that the violent crackdown on Occupy last fall – so mystifying at the time – was not just coordinated at the level of the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, and local police. The crackdown, which involved, as you may recall, violent arrests, group disruption, canister missiles to the skulls of protesters, people held in handcuffs so tight they were injured, people held in bondage till they were forced to wet or soil themselves –was coordinated with the big banks themselves.

The Partnership for Civil Justice Fund, in a groundbreaking scoop that should once more shame major US media outlets (why are nonprofits now some of the only entities in America left breaking major civil liberties news?), filed this request. The document – reproduced here in an easily searchable format – shows a terrifying network of coordinated DHS, FBI, police, regional fusion center, and private-sector activity so completely merged into one another that the monstrous whole is, in fact, one entity: in some cases, bearing a single name, the Domestic Security Alliance Council. And it reveals this merged entity to have one centrally planned, locally executed mission. The documents, in short, show the cops and DHS working for and with banks to target, arrest, and politically disable peaceful American citizens.
Jeebus, are gnat-like memories a common symptom of our social-media-addicted culture? Of course none of this excuses the current admin's own thuggery, but the double standard is just so blatant.

Similar applies to the "what if both Trump and Biden claim victory?" pearl-clutching: anyone remember the MSM dogpiling on Trump in 2016 with "will you accept the results if you lose, Mr. Trump?" gotcha-questions. Notice how no one in the MSM bothered to ask the Anotinted One, The Most Qualified Candidate Ever, HRH HRC, the same question? And what did we see following HRH's shock defeat? First the Dems organized a "faithless elector" scheme to try to undermine the expected results of the Electoral College voting. (And before you trot out the "but the EC is undemocratic" stuff, note that the Dems have been fully onboard with it because despite their party's aspirational name, they are no more small-d democratic than the Rs ... and they made no serious attempt to change the existing system even after Bush's blatant 2000 election theft ... and in the months leading up to Nov 2016 the MSM pundits were gleefully explaining "how Trump has no plausible path to victory in the Electoral College" - in other words, both sides knew the rules of the game going in, and neither side tried to change them since, well, forever.) Then, when that backfired - the only elector that 'flipped' actually cost HRC an EC vote - we had the last 3+ *years* of a nonstop "Putin helped his puppet Trump steal the election" Red Scare 2.0, which persists in liberal/MSM circles and continues to mutate and get re-trotted-out even though it has by now been debunked on every front.

So, please, enough of the "Trump is a unique evil" and "things were just peachy before January 2017" delusion. Trump mainly brings a unique-in-recent-memory boorish, thuggish honesty to the nature of the massively corrupt, ultra-violent Imperium he is currently titular head of. The past half-century has shown that the so-called liberal class is perfectly OK with living under a thuggish kleptocracy so long as the latter maintains the proper decorum. In other words, they just want better PR, not fundamental change. Hence Biden's greased-skids ascent.

Oh, returning to the original question: If there really is a contested election, I'm sure our hero-warriors in the Intelligence Community will tell us who really won. \s

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-06-23 at 21:21
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-24, 02:56   #289
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

31·137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
This article details the results of the lawsuit.
That article misrepresents germane facts about the Wisconsin experience.
1) Dem mayors made inadequate preparations for polls. Some even refused assistanc offers. All of Milwaukee had 5 polling places. Democrat Tom Barrett has been mayor there for a long time.
2) Dem(ented) governor Tony Evers was correctly rebuffed by the legislature, a federal court, US Supreme Court, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court in various attempts to alter, delay, or cancel the election in April 2020. For several weeks he seemed to think that because he was governor he could order the election law to be ignored. With less than 20 hours before the polls were to open, he illegally (by his own admission!) tried to illegally block the election. Legislators immediately filed an emergency case directly to the Wisconsin Supreme Court. The court ruled quickly, in favor of upholding existing law. The election went ahead on the schedule the statute required, despite the repeated efforts of the governor. Seventy percent of recorded votes were absentee filed early. Most polling places were calm and lightly attended. That was not the case in cities where Dems in local power staged crises of their own creation for political purposes.
3) After a great deal of effort over a period of weeks, 52 Wisconsin voters were identified as having voted in person and also as having tested positive for COVID19. (Out of a state population of 5.8 MILLION.) NONE of which were traceable to voting in person. The source of infection for them was not determinable. They may well have been infected before they went to the polls on election day..
4) The precautions I observed at my polling place when voting in person, went to extremes I have not observed anywhere else before or since. They certainly were far superior to what has been allowed in the streets for hours on end, regularly during recent protests since George Floyd's death.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...eme-court.html
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...on/2954626001/ "Evers made his move four days after he said he had no legal authority to change the election."
Evers' order would have left numerous local positions vacant for months. The terms end on dates specified in statute.
If he had been successful in delaying it for months, it is likely he would have delayed it further. Wisconsin is still rather substantially locked down today. It would have disenfranchised people including me who intended to vote on election day per statute.
Oddly, Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Kelly, who did not participate in that court's 4-2 decision, because he was a candidate in the election, had won the primary with a majority against two liberal challengers, but lost in the bizarre mostly absentee general election with processing of ballots extending for a week after election day.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-06-24 at 03:25
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-24, 03:42   #290
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

10000100101112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Something is going on:
Good. Too many people have already been ruined, hurt or killed already, in protests and anarchy in many jurisdictions around the country. We can't just surrender the nation to these criminals running wild in the streets among the decent ones.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-06-24 at 03:44
Old 2020-06-24, 04:14   #291
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3×29×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Good. Too many people have already been ruined, hurt or killed
Entirely too many blacks have been killed.
There were protests back in the 1770s lives were lost then too.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-24, 05:03   #292
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

4,243 Posts

Quote:
We can't just surrender the nation to these criminals running wild in the streets among the decent ones.
You mean the police, right? I hope you mean the police.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-24, 06:42   #293
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

31·137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
You mean the police, right? I hope you mean the police.
I mean, without regard to skin tone or gender or age or clothing or whatever people base their preconceptions on, whenever it's unjustified by self defense, all over the nation. Here are some photos of the dead: https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/05/1...e-floyd-death/

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-06-24 at 06:47
Old 2020-06-24, 07:55   #294
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

102278 Posts

Wisconsin legislator attacked. https://wkow.com/2020/06/23/proteste...state-capitol/ https://www.foxnews.com/us/protester...capitol-report

I've taken hundreds of photos myself, during a protest there years ago.
I gave people time to react by putting their signs in front of their faces before snapping it, if they did not want their faces photographed. No one laid a finger on me. Daytime, different issue, lots of teachers then, no injuries, no damage, up to 100,000 there, media from across the nation.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-06-24 at 07:55
Old 2020-06-24, 12:53   #295
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·33·31 Posts

I have a sketchy recollection of an encampment called "Resurrection City" being dismantled after (IIRC) the "Poor Peoples' March" in DC, but I think the evacuation was done in an orderly and peaceful manner.

I have seen movies of the destruction of the encampment of the "Bonus Marchers" during the Hoover Administration, carried out by one Douglas MacArthur. If my understanding is correct, he had been ordered not to destroy the encampment, but did it anyway.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-24, 15:36   #296
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

31·137 Posts

Quote:
No one laid a finger on me.
That is how to do it. At one point I laid my sunglasses on a traffic barrier while taking photos. Got distracted, went about a block before I realized it, returned to get them 20 minutes later and they hadn't been touched by any of the many thousands of protesters who had marched by in that time.

This is not how to do it: attacking supporters past and present, and destroying symbols of ideals to live up to. https://www.theblaze.com/news/violen...-state-senator Tim Carpenter, Democrat, progressive, senior, gay. Hospitalized after collapsing on the street. It takes a long time to recover even incompletely from that level of concussion.
Hans Christian Heg was an immigrant. Helped free the slaves and died trying. Decapitated statue tossed in Lake Monona.
Old 2020-06-24, 16:25   #297
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

133428 Posts

Quote:
That is how to do it. At one point I laid my sunglasses on a traffic barrier while taking photos. Got distracted, went about a block before I realized it, returned to get them 20 minutes later and they hadn't been touched by any of the many thousands of protesters who had marched by in that time.

This is not how to do it: attacking supporters past and present, and destroying symbols of ideals to live up to. https://www.theblaze.com/news/violen...-state-senator Tim Carpenter, Democrat, progressive, senior, gay. Hospitalized after collapsing on the street. It takes a long time to recover even incompletely from that level of concussion.
Hans Christian Heg was an immigrant. Helped free the slaves and died trying. Decapitated statue tossed in Lake Monona.
Would love to know the thinking behind the idiots who tore down the statue. Still lacking information on what happened to Carpenter. Was he attacked by a single person? Was he attacked by a mod? Hoping that there is camera footage of the people who did this.

Unfortunately the Republicans will view this as a way to throw all of the protesters under the bus.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote