mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2011-11-06, 03:03   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default New Stephen King book out soon

Am I the only one excited about this Tuesday finally getting here? I'd already pre-bought his book near the end of September. Time travel AND Stephen King. Only a few things(corporeal things anyway) better than that.

Any theories or guesses how Stephen King could turn time travel into horror? Just assuming it's going to be horror, he might be branching out into alternative history, wouldn't suprise me in the least.

My own theory is that there are either time-based beasties that take an interest in him, similar to the gargoyle-type things that showed up in Dr Who when whats-her-name went back in time and saved her dad from getting hit by a car. Damn women, always meddling ;)

My favorite theory(just came up with it) is that he stops the original shooter(I suck with names) and ends up being the mysterious second shooter that conspiracy theorists like to jaw about.

Ideas, opinions, flames, dirty pictures of your mom?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 03:38   #2
cmd

"(^r'ยฐ:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

3E816 Posts

all mothers were small for their mothers ...
but not "all" had ... luck

Last fiddled with by cmd on 2011-11-06 at 03:47 Reason: btw S_Re only knew of a sp!||?
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 15:29   #3
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Lots of ways to do time travel as horror, many of them already in the literature....such as going through the same encounter with yourself 3 times, murduring (or not) your ancestors, Ray Bradbury's famous butterfly killer, etc. Suppose I told you my grandfather was Jesse James? Or J. Edgar Hoover? Or Adolf Hitler? Mommar Khaddafi? Osama Bin Laden? Or one of those bankers, say Geithner?

Not sure I'd admit to something as lowbrow as Stephen King here, though....do read his biographical information and see if you can see Bob Silverman as a possible outcome with a slight variation. Enjoy!
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 02:45   #4
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

110000010112 Posts

I'm not a fan of horror, but on Tuesday another book is being released: the 8-years in making, end to the Eragon trilogy (now, quadrilogy). It is about stinking time.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 22:02   #5
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

Better than a hurried, and ultimately unreadable, DUNE sequel....
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 03:22   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

26EB16 Posts

Now, if it came to the discussion, I think that everybody should read The Hunger Games (trilogy)... The best anticipation book I have read in the last 15 years. I've heard they want to make a movie from it. What a pity, every time a good book appears, they destroy it by putting it in a movie... This book would never make a good movie, because what is brilliant in the book is not the action, but the description (of the nature, things around, feeling, especially feelings) and this you can never show on the screen.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 09:23   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
This book would never make a good movie, because what is brilliant in the book is not the action, but the description (of the nature, things around, feeling, especially feelings) and this you can never show on the screen.
2001 - A Space Odyssey ?

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 09:39   #8
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
time-based beasties that take an interest in him
Been done already. Cf. Langoliers.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 15:53   #9
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Been done already. Cf. Langoliers.
lol, true, and that's even the same author. My bad.
Old 2011-11-10, 12:56   #10
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Any theories or guesses how Stephen King could turn time travel into horror? Just assuming it's going to be horror, he might be branching out into alternative history, wouldn't suprise me in the least.
My first thought on reading this paragraph - and before I read the following - was "Doctor Who".

Quote:
My own theory is that there are either time-based beasties that take an interest in him, similar to the gargoyle-type things that showed up in Dr Who when whats-her-name...
Rose Tyler

Quote:
...went back in time and saved her dad from getting hit by a car. Damn women, always meddling ;)
Other DW stories with a horror theme include "Tooth and Claw", "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit", "Blink" and "Vampires of Venice", from the revived series, and the classic "The Daemons", and "The Talons of Wen Chiang".
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 06:04   #11
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Just finished the book, and it was awesome. Only thing that got me, and it's not really a slight against the author, but... I use the term "little by little," but Mr. King always said "little by slowly." Don't know if that's an East Coast thing or what, but it bugged the hell out of me.