mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-05-24, 16:53   #1
Unregistered

2×1,733 Posts
Default can't get Prime95 results log

I overclocked my computer and I think that I may have damaged the CPU in the process, because the computer screen goes blank after the computer runs for a while or just a little bit even, too. I can't use the shut off button on the front when this happens, too, to turn it off. The power down button usually works fine when the screen doesn't go blank. The reason that I am bringing all of this up is because I ran Prime95 and the screen goes blank before I can record the results. Is there a way that I can retrieve the log after I power down the computer and start it back up? Also, is there a way to save the log onto a file that can be displayed as a picture, like in jpeg format? I want to show the log as a picture so that I can put it on a forum without having to take a picture of it with a camera and post the camera image. Does anyone have some advice for my predicament?
Old 2011-05-24, 22:22   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The reason that I am bringing all of this up is because I ran Prime95 and the screen goes blank before I can record the results. Is there a way that I can retrieve the log after I power down the computer and start it back up?
Look in your Prime95 folder for anything ending in ".log" (or listed as a "LOG File" or something similar). That might have what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I want to show the log as a picture so that I can put it on a forum without having to take a picture of it with a camera and post the camera image. Does anyone have some advice for my predicament?
Use the print screen button, or (if you have Vista or Windows 7) the Snipping Tool.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 02:34   #3
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Go advanced, and upload the log file! (or underclock your machine, use word pad or some such and cut and paste -- we can live with just the words)

If you don't have all your file extensions showing, do show details and then edit the folder options in Windows explorer.

And get temperature monitoring software on your box; you need it and we will want to know what it is telling you.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 03:04   #4
Unregistered

2×32×181 Posts

I don't see the log file anywhere on my Prime95 folder. I told Prime95 to record data every 10 minutes. There are no test results on the server, either; therefore, I conclude that the test didn't survive long enough to post any results and thus the CPU is damaged. I have been working on the problem on a different forum as well, and we already went through the step of checking out the temps. They are always fine. I have a few temp monitoring programs that I've run several times. I think that next step is to test the computer with a different CPU and see if the problem goes away. Then I'll know by isolation that there is a faulty component. This is a good way to go, right? I do have an alternate CPU that is supported by my mobo.
Old 2011-05-26, 00:40   #5
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Sounds a reasonable way to proceed.
You won't get test results on the server, only assignments if you are crashing that soon -- my assignments take from hours to months to complete. There's also .bu and .bu2 files that are backups from the attempt at whatever.
Finally, prime.log looks like it will be made when the communications with the server happens. (Of course, if the machine dies before it is written to disk, you won't find it).
Old 2011-05-26, 20:15   #6
Unregistered

3·13·107 Posts

thx for the reply. The .bu and .bu2 files - should I be able to find those in the Prime95 folder, as well? And would you say that I should be able to get the results of the test from those files? Not sure.
Old 2011-05-27, 12:30   #7
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

The .bu and .bu2 files in the folder with the Prime95 image (unless you told it to use another folder) are P95's "Backup" files, which it uses to save its state against the inevitable (in thousands of computers trying to do 2 - 4 month, or even 1 year jobs) crashes. In Windows, this is controlled by
"Options...Preferences...
Number of Backup Files (defaults to 3)
Minutes between writing save files (defaults to 10, if you are crashing in under 10 minutes, set this to 1)

You might also want to reduce
"Iterations between screen outputs"
(this defaults to 10^5, i use 10^4 on my machines, you might want to go all the way to 1 to see if even the first iteration completes, though the system will then be slowed substantially by the printing operation ).

Look through the .txt files in the Prime95 folder for more of this, especially undoc.txt and readme.txt.