Old 2021-11-02, 20:10   #23
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

26·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If canning is an option, green tomato relish is one possibility. For such a large amount, the only alternative to canning that comes to mind is freezing (requires some prepping). A few could be used for fried green tomatoes and/or green tomato pie.
Compost and more sun surely helped the vegetables grow.

Good luck next year!
Gave all my canning supplies away this year. So glad I did not plant the usual 3 tomato plants! Maybe some salsa or spaghetti sauce. (Try making spaghetti with double tomatoes and double spices sometime.) Refrigerate half the pails to stagger the ripening.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 19:14   #24
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,383 Posts

Quote:
This year's pepper harvest is over. This morning, my outdoor thermometer was reading around 27 degrees F (-2.8 C).
Tbanks for the reminder. I really must dig up the chilli plants and bring them indoors for the winter.

Not long finished eating my signature dish: peperoncino (a blend of 5 varieties), aglio, olio & spaghetti and am now enjoying the afterburn.

Not sure whether I have posted the recipe here. Probably.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 21:22   #25
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

6E316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
You said we could ask you for it 11 years ago, but that was in the "What is offensive language?" thread, so nobody dared...
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...&postcount=130
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 21:30   #26
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

1,907 Posts

Quote:
Tbanks for the reminder. I really must dig up the chilli plants and bring them indoors for the winter.

Not long finished eating my signature dish: peperoncino (a blend of 5 varieties), aglio, olio & spaghetti and am now enjoying the afterburn.

At least share the 5 varieties of chili.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 21:33   #27
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,917 Posts

Quote:
I hope they do well!

Quote:

Not posted AFAICT.

Mentioned in the OP to the Recipes thread, also in this post, in which you correctly recollected having posted your Chilli con coction recipe.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 10:09   #28
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
At least share the 5 varieties of chili.
It varies from dish to dish. Last night had a Scotch bonnet, a Jalapeรฑo, two Thai finger chillies, two orange and one yellow fruit of unknown type but the plants are compact and the fruits similar in shape and heat to Jalapeรฑos, though only half the length; they are generally grown for decorative rather than culinary purposes.

Recipe to follow.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-11-09 at 10:09
Old 2021-11-09, 18:16   #29
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

101100011101112 Posts

Quote:
I hope they do well!

Not posted AFAICT.

Mentioned in the OP to the Recipes thread, also in this post, in which you correctly recollected having posted your Chilli con coction recipe.
Ok, here you go.

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...9&postcount=38
Old 2022-03-09, 14:14   #30
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,917 Posts

Spring is almost here. Mr. Sun has been climbing higher in the sky. We have been gaining daylight at both ends. We've already had a couple of warm days. Spring cleanup of the gardens is pretty much done. Daylight Saving time begins Sunday. Spring ahead. Lose an hour of sleep.

Last year I acquired some tulips and planted them in my front garden. Their first leaves have poked up. Two of them got eaten down to the ground by rabbits. I put an enclosure around the tulips.

My other bulb plants are more or less toxic, and the rabbits generally leave them alone. But sometimes they snip off a bunch of leaves - nice clean cuts at about a 45 degree angle - and leave the leaves lying on the ground.

I have found a new home for some of the Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) I am going to have to remove from my front garden. The soil in my front yard is rich and loose. I call it "PJB soil," meaning "Plant 'em and jump back!" Common Milkweed spreads by underground runners (which I did not know when I got it), and what started as single specimen is now threatening to take over my whole front yard! I have dug some of it out and transplanted it to my back yard. (A length of rootstock broke off while I was doing that. I buried it. It sent shoots up at both ends!) The heavy clay soil in my back yard keeps the spreading in check. I also gave some away last year. Recently I met a man living nearby who wants some. Whatever of it remains in my front yard, I will have to poison.

The guy who wants the milkweed mentioned that he had a packet of potato seeds, but he didn't know what kind. I told him to send me a picture of the packet. It was in Russian! I was able to translate enough of the words to learn that they are Empress potatoes, an early-ripening variety developed in Russia. There is plenty of information online about them. Apparently you have to plant them from seed, and the germination and seedling development are rather iffy.

I'm not much of a vegetable gardener, though I do grow chile peppers. I have been acquiring and growing native plants, plus some closely-related flowers. My Prairie Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis) is well-established and up. Its red flowers in late April and May will be a bonanza for the hummingbirds.

I had an idea about the "verge" - the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street. The lawn there is really crappy. The previous owner's idea of lawn care was scalping it every couple of weeks or so. Trying to make it look like a lawn has been a struggle. Starting around this time of year, it seems like my lawn has a "weed of the week" club. Just as I clear it of or two species, new ones show up. And then, I read this post, which has a link to a video of a Ukrainian woman telling Russian soldiers to put sunflower seeds in their pockets, so they will grow when they all "lie down." I thought, "Why sunflowers?" So I looked it up, and, lo and behold, the sunflower is the national flower of Ukraine. Ukraine has accounted for 18% of the world's sunflower seed oil. So this year, I plan to put some sunflowers in the verge.

But planting will have to wait. Old Man Winter isn't going away just yet. We're due for a couple of nights with lows in the teens F (around -10 C). Some early flowers are already blooming (Common snowdrops, Galanthus nivalis). I'll try to scrounge up some dead leaves to protect them and some of my early green shoots from the worst of the cold. And frosts the second week of May are not uncommon.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-09, 17:31   #31
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,383 Posts

Quote:
Spring is almost here.
Bought your stocks of poisons yet?
Old 2022-03-09, 23:29   #32
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×52×211 Posts

Quote:
Bought your stocks of poisons yet?
Pre- or post-emergent? Selective and/or systemic?

chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-10, 14:50   #33
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1138310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Pre- or post-emergent? Selective and/or systemic?

I was thinking more along the lines of strychnine and cyanide.