mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Other Mathematical Topics

Old 2021-04-23, 21:56   #1
mart_r

Dec 2008
you know...around...

12178 Posts
Default A prime number "game of life": can floor(y*p#) always be prime?

An old pet project of mine, revamped.

If it's in any way possible I would like to turn this into a fully-fledged arXiv paper, so any suggestion on how to proceed with the work in the attachment is highly appreciated.

"In this paper, the author discusses the existence of a real number y such that q = \(\lfloor\)p#*y\(\rfloor\) is a prime number for every p \(\geq\) 2."

You may berate me for any technical or formal errors or glitches, obsolete or false statements, inappropriate verbiage or lack thereof, or for opening a new thread (in my defense: this time with a fitting title, and gravedigging is considered rude just as well) - but remember that beraten in German means to discuss or give advice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Project_p#Y.pdf (314.7 KB, 43 views)
mart_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-24, 20:40   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

24F716 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_r View Post
...but remember that beraten in German means to discuss or give advice.
But the ensuing discussion can also be a gift.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-24, 21:59   #3
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22×13×113 Posts

It would be nice to see a version of table 7 with primes removed if their branch has terminated in a future iteration(numbers should be monotone increasing in this case).

It is a shame that the branching rate seems to increase as the numbers get larger.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-25, 09:42   #4
mart_r

Dec 2008
you know...around...

5×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
It would be nice to see a version of table 7 with primes removed if their branch has terminated in a future iteration(numbers should be monotone increasing in this case).

It is a shame that the branching rate seems to increase as the numbers get larger.
I've already had an idea that leads into this direction. A version of the table including the monotonely increasing number of surviving primes shouldn't pose much of a problem to me.

It would definitely be more of a discovery if there was a unique solution for a surviving branch.
Old 2021-04-25, 17:14   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

247448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
The humour is going from bath to sausage.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-14, 16:30   #6
mart_r

Dec 2008
you know...around...

5×131 Posts
Default Wuthering heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Here's an updated version of Table 7, currently at level 1723. (Preliminary, as you can tell n* is backtracked from the currently calculated stage, not stage 294 as mentioned in the PDF.)
I let one laptop crunch the numbers en passant, and plan to reach level 1931 by mid June. I wouldn't go that far if it wasn't just to fill the rightmost columns.
Plus I'd also like to find a prime with ten descendants (cf. page 18 of PDF in OP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The humour is going from bath to sausage.
I believe I spider...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Table_7.pdf (55.5 KB, 17 views)