Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2022-09-12, 00:01   #1
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

994210 Posts
Default Google maps is not catching mice

I drove today over a perfectly finished road that Google maps not only doesn't know exists but the satellite layer shows totally nothing. 3-6 months ago, a development project called Merge 56 already created a perfectly usable road that "also doesn't exist - but at least has some ghost drawings (see it above green line).

I wonder if they had some cuts in the data collection departments. The satellite imagery is dated "2022" but it doesn't look like even Jan 2022: there was a full-blown planing and landscaping going on for a year before that. Now there are several dozen nearly finished homes ready to be sold. One the photos? Tumbleweeds and a few hiking paths.

MapQuest also doesn't have these new roads. Maybe Apple maps?

Weirdly, Bing Maps have it. And Waze has it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google_maps_Sep2022_as_is.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	997.8 KB
ID:	27304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Google_maps_Sep2022_in_reality.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	983.7 KB
ID:	27305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Various_map_providers.png
Views:	27
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	27306  
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-12, 00:23   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·3,301 Posts

I'm not sure why you would expect Google to be accurate about these things.

If there are no businesses out there sending money to Google to advertise themselves on the map then Google won't care.

All one needs to remember is that Google is an advertising company, nothing more. If you want accurate maps then go to the local land registry office, or whatever equivalent exists in the local area.

I still see online maps tell me I can turn left into a one way street, against the traffic. The map says it is a two way street, but more than 10 years ago it was changed into a one way.

I've had maps tell me I can cross a non-existent bridge over a river.

I've had maps show me a through way street that long ago was blocked off to make way for train tracks.

I've had maps tell me I can ride alongside a motorway on the cycle lane that was eliminated many years ago.

I've had maps show me I can turn right into a road that is an overpass. Am I expected to magically jump up 10 metres?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-12, 08:55   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

2·5,059 Posts

A GPS device we used to have years ago came with Open Street Map maps. At the time, some places in our area were wrong, and we found out that we can edit them ourselves, draw the right streets, etc, and wonder! our edits were reflected into the official map after few days.

We fell in love with it, hehe, guess why? We felt like a very important person. We did few other edits in our area, too, in the last 10 or 15 years. Generally, small corrections, like new bridges or streets which were connected on the map but nor in reality, or viceversa. Sometimes you have a cross, but you can't pass from a street to the other, unless you can fly 6 meters high.

We used the OS maps ever since, even after our GPS device was long dead. Some navigators you can install on Android (from gugu-play) like for example the one from MapFactor, use these maps too, and we really like them, first of all because they are free, second, they are very actual - people edit them locally, they are not relying on the gugu-car passing the area, or the satellite, etc, - I don't know what algorithm is used to select which edits go into the map and which not (probably a majority criteria, or multiple similar edits?), but it works. And last but not least, the maps show private areas (houses and house-numbers, other buildings) which are not visible on gugu maps - where the gugu car can't go (which here is most of the moobans in our area - that is "neighborhood", or "village", or "residential area" in Thai, moo=cluster, ban=house - have guarded gates and you can not go inside easy, unless you live there or visit somebody, and gugu-car never goes in), so if the car can't go, there is no street view, and only some streets drawn from the satellite photos. But you can't see details, or house numbers. On OS maps, you can. Most of it, I mean. Because, of course, OS still relies on local people to input the data in their neighborhood, and not everybody is a map editor.

Moreover, some mountain bikers and/or EUC riders have GPS tracking devices and they send the data to OS, so the maps also show tracks and small streets where gugu never went (if there is possible, to find a place where gugu never went, haha, those guys went everywhere and they know everything, inside and outside of you!).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-09-13 at 03:07
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-12, 12:49   #4
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×3×499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I drove today over a perfectly finished road that Google maps not only doesn't know exists but the satellite layer shows totally nothing.
<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
<snip>
I still see online maps tell me I can turn left into a one way street, against the traffic.
<snip>
I've had maps tell me I can cross a non-existent bridge over a river.

I've had maps show me a through way street that long ago was blocked off to make way for train tracks.
<snip>
I've had maps show me I can turn right into a road that is an overpass.
<snip>
A cartoonist's legacy lives on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pugsleys_signs.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	27307  
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-12, 13:07   #5
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3·2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
A cartoonist's legacy lives on!
Among the joys of real estate ownership is replacing stolen or vandalized signage.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-12, 18:32   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2·34·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I drove today over a perfectly finished road that Google maps not only doesn't know exists but the satellite layer shows totally nothing. 3-6 months ago, a development project called Merge 56 already created a perfectly usable road that "also doesn't exist - but at least has some ghost drawings (see it above green line).

I wonder if they had some cuts in the data collection departments. The satellite imagery is dated "2022" but it doesn't look like even Jan 2022: there was a full-blown planing and landscaping going on for a year before that. Now there are several dozen nearly finished homes ready to be sold. One the photos? Tumbleweeds and a few hiking paths.

MapQuest also doesn't have these new roads. Maybe Apple maps?

Weirdly, Bing Maps have it. And Waze has it.
Happens.

Try looking at the maps of roads (only one, actually) which cross the lava flows on La Palma.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote