Old 2020-04-11, 19:41   #584
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100110110001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
By way of followup to the ibuprofen-related discussion ack on page 19 of the thread:

Coronavirus Research Done Too Fast Is Testing Publishing Safeguards, Bad Science Is Getting Through | naked capitalism
Very happy to see the pushback on ACE-I since I've been taking one for well over 20 years, and my BP is well regulated.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 00:41   #585
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100110110001012 Posts
Angry Trump is playing a disgusting political game with our lives

-By The Denver Post Editorial Board

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/55042.htm
Quote:
President Donald Trump is treating life-saving medical equipment as emoluments he can dole out as favors to loyalists. It’s the worst imaginable form of corruption — playing political games with lives. For the good of this nation during what should be a time of unity, he must stop.

In just the latest example of his gross display, the president tweeted on Wednesday:

Will be immediately sending 100 Ventilators to Colorado at the request of Senator Gardner! https://t.co/Nj4EPxfZl6
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 8, 2020

Trump had only days before prevented Colorado Gov. Jared Polis from securing 500 ventilators from a private company, instead, taking the ventilators for the federal government. Polis sent a formal letter pleading for medical equipment, but the president took the time to make clear he was responding to a request from Gardner. We are left to believe that if Colorado didn’t have a Republican senator in office, our state would not be getting these 100 ventilators. How many ventilators would we be getting if we had a Republican governor and a second Republican senator? Would that indicate we had more Republican lives in our state worth saving for Trump and resources would start flowing? Should Utah be concerned that Sen. Mitt Romney voted to remove the president from office?

This behavior comes, of course, weeks after Trump informed states they would have to compete against one another in the procurement of medical supplies at a time of global shortages due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-12 at 00:43
Old 2020-04-12, 01:08   #586
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

34×41 Posts
Default Re: Trump is playing a disgusting political game with our lives

Anyone who expected anything different from Il Duce has their head stuck in the sand, or somewhere else the sun don't shine.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 02:47   #587
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

52·397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Anyone who expected anything different from Il Duce has their head stuck in the sand, or somewhere else the sun don't shine.
No sh!t!

It still bears mentioning, if only as a futile gesture.
Old 2020-04-12, 03:50   #588
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100110110001012 Posts

Trump is visited by three ghosts.

Early in the night, the ghost of FDR appears. When Trump asks him how he can make America great again, FDR replies: "Think only of the people, do not make laws based on hatred, bigotry, or with the thought of lining your own pockets."
Trump's face sours and he yells, "Fake news!"

A few hours later Trump is awakened by George Washington's ghost. Trump again asks, "How can I make America great again?" Washington says, "I would suggest that you never tell a lie."

This infuriates Trump.

At around 3:00 a.m. he is visited by the ghost of
Abraham Lincoln. Trump again asks how he can make America great again.

Lincoln replies, "Go to the theater."
Old 2020-04-12, 05:06   #589
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

11×13×41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Trump is visited by three ghosts.

Early in the night, the ghost of FDR appears. When Trump asks him how he can make America great again, FDR replies: "Think only of the people, do not make laws based on hatred, bigotry, or with the thought of lining your own pockets."
Trump's face sours and he yells, "Fake news!"
FDR preaching against bigotry, that's rich.

Last fiddled with by CRGreathouse on 2020-04-12 at 05:06
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 14:10   #590
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7·601 Posts

Boris Johnson released from the hospital; expected to convalesce for a week. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52262012
His fiancee is expecting to give birth in two months and has been self isolating with symptoms but has not been tested.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 15:06   #591
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

18B16 Posts

Easter greetings from the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg: An excerpt from Brahms' Sinfonie Nr. 1
https://www.ndr.de/kultur/musik/Ein-...stern1236.html
Just watch the video.

Last fiddled with by Till on 2020-04-12 at 15:07
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 15:50   #592
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

52·397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
Easter greetings from the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg: An excerpt from Brahms' Sinfonie Nr. 1
Just watch the video.
Amazing! I have seen remote ensembles of half a dozen, but an entire orchestra is a stunning accomplishment.
Old 2020-04-12, 15:55   #593
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

72×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
Just watch the video.
Brilliant!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 15:56   #594
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

34·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
FDR preaching against bigotry, that's rich.
Thanks in no small part to official policy approved by FDR, the good ol' USA didn't have a stellar record in taking in refugees trying to flee the Holocaust, either.

In addition, some prominent US citizens were viewed with gratitude by the Nazis. Charles Lindbergh, Henry Ford, GM Exec James Mooney, and IBM funder Thomas J. Watson were all awarded the Order of the Eagle for their "service to the Reich."

Henry Ford even got an "honorable mention" in Mein Kampf, thanks to his publication, The Dearborn Independent. Ford has an additional distinction WRT the Reich. It is a standard, and by now perhaps trite cliche for cartoonists to portray tyrants as having a portrait of Hitler hanging in their offices. But one may ask, whose portrait adorned the wall of Adolph Hitler's office? Why, Henry Ford's! I heard this quite a few years ago, on a PBS program about the depression. An American correspondent was in Berlin in 1932 to interview the up-and-coming head of the Nazi Party. When he went to his office, he was surprised to see copies of The Dearborn Independent, both in English and in German translation, and a portrait of Henry Ford on the wall...

In a desperate attempt to bring things "back on topic," my visiting ghost would suggest that Il Duce could improve America by volunteering Mike Pence, and himself, as human guinea pigs for all the COVID-19 remedies being suggested. Starting with the one suggested by the Church of Bleach.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote