mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-27, 15:36   #1
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted
 
Mini-Geek's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts
Default optimal B1

Which is more efficient: running ECM with a few large B1 increments, (e.g. run some curves at B1=11e3, then more at 5e4, then ...) or incrementing B1 by some optimized amount for each curve? What gives the best optimization for how quickly the minimum expected factor size can grow?
Granular B1 increments are certainly more convenient for communicating and calculating work done (it's certainly easier to say, "I've run 2000 curves at B1=11e6" and to calculate the level from that than if it was incremented), but are they more efficient?
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 15:58   #2
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Which is more efficient: running ECM with a few large B1 increments, (e.g. run some curves at B1=11e3, then more at 5e4, then ...) or incrementing B1 by some optimized amount for each curve? What gives the best optimization for how quickly the minimum expected factor size can grow?
Granular B1 increments are certainly more convenient for communicating and calculating work done (it's certainly easier to say, "I've run 2000 curves at B1=11e6" and to calculate the level from that than if it was incremented), but are they more efficient?
Read my joint paper with Sam Wagstaff: A Practical Analysis of ECM.

It answers these kinds of questions (and more).
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 17:04   #3
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted
 
Mini-Geek's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Read my joint paper with Sam Wagstaff: A Practical Analysis of ECM.

It answers these kinds of questions (and more).
Is the paper available for free anywhere? (preferably as a PDF)
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 18:26   #4
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Is the paper available for free anywhere? (preferably as a PDF)
I don't know whether this is free:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3769506

You can get a copy from the AMS website, but as they own the
copyright, it costs $$$.....
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 12:19   #5
Walter Nissen
 
Walter Nissen's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Terra

2×3×13 Posts
Default key paper from 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Is the paper available for free anywhere? (preferably as a PDF)
A practical analysis of the elliptic curve factoring algorithm
Robert D. Silverman; Samuel S. Wagstaff
Math. Comp. 61 (1993), 445-462
in .pdf is available free from :
http://www.ams.org/journals/mcom/199...993-1122078-7/
Walter Nissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Optimal LL configuration aurashift Hardware 11 2015-09-22 14:09
Calculating optimal P-1 memory Uncwilly Lounge 5 2013-05-15 23:29
Optimal ECM bounds henryzz GMP-ECM 14 2011-06-09 17:04
optimal parameters for GMP-ECM , -oe+ , -I Walter Nissen GMP-ECM 16 2007-03-20 19:35
Optimal ECM Escalation? wblipp ElevenSmooth 16 2004-08-13 19:01

All times are UTC. The time now is 11:53.

Tue Sep 22 11:53:32 UTC 2020 up 12 days, 9:04, 0 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.17, 1.20

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.