xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×32×5×113 Posts

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
As an aside, I'll still bet a glass of ale that the problem is SELinux....
Unless sealert is lying to me, or SELinux is asleep on duty, you would owe me a glass of ale had I taken up your wager earlier.

I've not fired up a network sniffer but really don't expect to see anything, given that all the processes are running on the same machine. It's possible that a network connection is being made and that bytes (sorry, octets) are going out on the wire but it seems rather implausible.

Other suggestions will be followed up tomorrow.

Again, thanks.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 20:44   #13
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×32×52×13 Posts

Quote:
So, then, I would suggest strongly that you take Chris Card's above advice, and run the client (and possibly the server) under strace.

If you can understand the output, it will tell you *exactly* where the client runs into problems.

(Although, if I might add, it might help you if you have a working solution under the same OS environment (but a different DB target), against which you can meta "diff" the results.)
Apparently you are assuming that I'm running into the problem on my hardware or hardware that I have access to. This is a problem that Paul is having on his hardware with my software. I don't have access to his box. I believe that Paul is trying to solve this on his own, but because he is stumped is hoping that someone has a similar setup (PostgreSQL + Linux + ODBC) with another application who could help him.

BTW, I consider your overall tone to be condescending (although not of the RDS type). You first suggested that someone pay you money to solve the problem (either because we are lazy or not smart enough to solve the problem). You then questioned my experience (more than once) when you clearly have no familiarity with me or the software I write.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 22:23   #14
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100011101101112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
BTW, I consider your overall tone to be condescending (although not of the RDS type). You first suggested that someone pay you money to solve the problem (either because we are lazy or not smart enough to solve the problem). You then questioned my experience (more than once) when you clearly have no familiarity with me or the software I write.
Please show me where I suggested someone pay me money to solve the problem.

Yes, I questioned your experience in this particular environment (more than once).

I don't care how much you know about the software you have written; what I *know* is you can't get it working in this particular environment.

Resonating with RDS... Deal with it.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 22:57   #15
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

16DA16 Posts

Quote:
Please show me where I suggested someone pay me money to solve the problem.
Here (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Would you like me to implement a working solution for you, or would you like me to spend a great deal of time (and your money) debugging your preferred solution.
Quote:
Yes, I questioned your experience in this particular environment (more than once).

I don't care how much you know about the software you have written; what I *know* is you can't get it working in this particular environment.
I am not the one having difficulties, Paul is. You imply that I couldn't solve this had I access to his server or that I would post here for advice if I couldn't solve the problem. There is *zero* evidence for that. The only evidence is that I cannot solve the problem with the information that I have from Paul and that Paul (not me) decided to come here for help.

Would it be fair of me to take such an offensive tone towards you if you wrote software that you could get working on Linux and only to have someone on Windows or Mac fail to get it to run (presuming it compiles and links cleanly)? I don't think so, but that is exactly what you have done.
Old 2011-08-03, 23:28   #16
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

41·223 Posts

@rogue...

Amusingly, you misquoted (and misunderstand) me...

Here is my language from 03 Aug 11 13:02 where I give some advise to you (please note the quotation marks):

"So this is where you have to tell your client 'your preferred solution (PostgreSQL) isn't working. But this one (MySQL) is. Would you like me to implement a working solution for you, or would you like me to spend a great deal of time (and your money) debugging your preferred solution.'"

Just to be VERY explicit, I was trying to give you advice; I was not seeking a client; I have enough clients....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 00:20   #17
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
the ODBC mechanism isn't working.
As an ex-captain of ECBC, I know quite a bit about OUBC.

Don't suppose this is very helpful though.

Old Devils' Boat Club?

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 07:18   #18
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

100111101110102 Posts

Quote:
@rogue...

Amusingly, you misquoted (and misunderstand) me...

Here is my language from 03 Aug 11 13:02 where I give some advise to you (please note the quotation marks):

"So this is where you have to tell your client 'your preferred solution (PostgreSQL) isn't working. But this one (MySQL) is. Would you like me to implement a working solution for you, or would you like me to spend a great deal of time (and your money) debugging your preferred solution.'"

Just to be VERY explicit, I was trying to give you advice; I was not seeking a client; I have enough clients....
Ok, everybody settle down.

I'm the one who is having problems, I'm the one who prefers PostgreSQL and I'm the one who chose to ask the question of a wider audience. Rogue has been very helpful but I didn't want him to be over-pestered with my questions so I decided to see whether others could help out too. I apologise if I inadvertently gave the impression that I was doubting his competence.

It's still relatively early here so no further work has been done since my previous post but I'll be trying again later, including following up some of yesterday's suggestions.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 08:52   #19
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Ok, everybody settle down.

Paul
Sorry, Paul.
I'll lighten up a little

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 10:55   #20
Chris Card

Aug 2004

3×43 Posts

Quote:
The exception is that the "isql" tester program works perfectly. None of iodbctest, iodbctestw and ecmserver make a successful connection. Non-ODBC connections using psql work perfectly.
On Fedora isql comes from the unixODBC package, whereas iodbctest and iodbctestw come from a different package, libiodbc, so it's not too surprising that isql works and iodbtest doesn't; the config and drivers they expect are almost certainly different.

Which odbc library is ecmserver built against?

Chris

Last fiddled with by Chris Card on 2011-08-04 at 10:55
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 13:07   #21
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

16DA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
On Fedora isql comes from the unixODBC package, whereas iodbctest and iodbctestw come from a different package, libiodbc, so it's not too surprising that isql works and iodbtest doesn't; the config and drivers they expect are almost certainly different.

Which odbc library is ecmserver built against?

Chris
iodbc
Old 2011-08-04, 13:52   #22
Chris Card

Aug 2004

3·43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
iodbc
Is unixODBC package installed too?

That's where /usr/bin/isql comes from according to

yum provides "*/isql"

unixODBC-2.2.14-12.fc14.x86_64 : A complete ODBC driver manager for Linux
Repo : fedora
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/bin/isql

It could be that /etc/odbc.ini and /etc/odbcinst.ini are unixODBC version instead of libiodbc.

Chris
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote