Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2015-12-11, 20:46   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts
Default "Honey, I think our son's autistic." "Okay, I'll buy him some crayons."

http://www.autism-society.org/what-i...nd-statistics/

Found this with a casual Google search. The study they used appears to have been done in the UK.

I consider myself a "self-diagnosed" autistic person, and also believe that autistic people have a purpose that science will slowly learn about as time goes on. Most autistic people have a very rigorous way of viewing the world, which makes us more suitable for jobs involving computers. There are even 1 or 2 companies which are specifically looking for autistic people as computer programmers.

I know at least 1 or 2 of you consider yourselves autistic, so I ask you, if you could take a pill to "cure" your autism, would you want to take the the pill? I, most certainly, would NOT want to take the pill.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-11, 20:58   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I know at least 1 or 2 of you consider yourselves autistic, so I ask you, if you could take a pill to "cure" your autism, would you want to take the the pill? I, most certainly, would NOT want to take the pill.
If it would shut up all the psychologist and family, I might take a pill. Based on reports I got to see recently, I have a disorder of written expression, and have been basically confirmed to have ASD according to one psychologist.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 02:05   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

I would not take the pill. As I said many times, I consider that our force stays in the fact that we are different. I do what you can't do, and you can do what I can't do. A pill which would make all of us the same would be a terrifying nightmare.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 02:18   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

19·499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I would not take the pill. As I said many times, I consider that our force stays in the fact that we are different. I do what you can't do, and you can do what I can't do. A pill which would make all of us the same would be a terrifying nightmare.
I would argue the same.

A friend of mine has an autistic son, who he put on "the drugs". It didn't really help, and he removed the drugs after a while.

Being different is not really a problem, so long as one is trained to deal with it.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 05:58   #5
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015610 Posts

I have wondered if I am on the HFA/Asperger part of the spectrum. I don't fit the AS part about lacking empathy. But impaired social skills, fascinations, obsessions, and sometimes flowery language fit pretty well. I have never suffered cognitive impairment, except of the self-inflicted sort.

My youngest brother was dyslexic and ADHD. He probably had better social skills, however, when he was young. He was on Ritalin, though he eventually took himself off it, with the parents' approval.

I think that the early-to-late sixties, when this was happening, were the beginnings of the vast over-medication of children we see today.

South Park did a great episode about all the kids being diagnosed as ADD. The doctor would read some long, dense novel aloud, and when the kids fell asleep, they obviously had Attention Deficit Disorder, even though parents and school officials present were also asleep.

The kids become so mellow on Ritalin that they want to go to a Phil Collins solo concert. When Chef relays this horrible news to the drug-dispensing doctor-pharmacist cabal, they are stricken with remorse and create Ritalout. When given this at the concert, this kids declare that Collins sucks balls. Collins ends up being body-surfed over the crowd, while screaming, "Put Me Down, You Bloody Bastahds,"

(There is considerably more going on, but it gets too complicated, and probably boring, to describe. If any readers are already asleep, you obviously have HDD, and need to be on Ritalin, or whatever that modern, speed-derived college student equivalent is.)

Disclosure: I take anti-depressants, but that was an adult choice in origin.

I don't like children involuntarily being chemically twisted in their formative years.

(I also got chemically twisted in my late formative years, but again, wise or not, it was my choice.)

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2015-12-12 at 06:08
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 09:12   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

25×331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I have wondered if I am on the HFA/Asperger part of the spectrum. I don't fit the AS part about lacking empathy. But impaired social skills, fascinations, obsessions, and sometimes flowery language fit pretty well. I have never suffered cognitive impairment, except of the self-inflicted sort.
I'm pretty near certain I've Asperger's though have not had a professional diagnosis. I'm sufficiently old that the condition wasn't widely recognised until well after my childhood when such diagnoses are easier to make.

I've also been taking SSRI's for many years.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 16:14   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·2,539 Posts

Quote:
If any readers are already asleep, you obviously have HDD**
** Actually, I only developed Hearing Deficit Disorder later in life.
Old 2015-12-12, 17:22   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

25×331 Posts

Quote:
** Actually, I only developed Hearing Deficit Disorder later in life.
Same here.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-13, 08:04   #9
Mark Rose

"/X\(β€˜-β€˜)/X\"
Jan 2013

29·101 Posts

Quote:
People with AS don't lack empathy -- that's a symptom of psychopathy -- but they usually lack theory of mind, or an innate understanding of what another person is thinking. This is one of the causes of impaired social skills, because without this feedback, it's much harder to pick up on social rules. It's certainly what affects me most.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-13, 08:42   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
People with AS don't lack empathy -- that's a symptom of psychopathy -- but they usually lack theory of mind, or an innate understanding of what another person is thinking. This is one of the causes of impaired social skills, because without this feedback, it's much harder to pick up on social rules. It's certainly what affects me most.
Thanks for that insight. Empathy has always been very strong in me, though I do have unfortunate lapses.
Old 2015-12-14, 06:38   #11
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

27AC16 Posts

Here is a line from the wiki on Asperger's that resonates with me for a particular reason:
Quote:
The cognitive ability of children with AS often allows them to articulate social norms in a laboratory context,[1] where they may be able to show a theoretical understanding of other people's emotions; however, they typically have difficulty acting on this knowledge in fluid, real-life situations.
The reason is, that in Junior High (now known as Middle School), my parents took me to a child psychologist (possibly psychiatrist, he was Dr S) for a while. Despite all assurances to the contrary, I suspected that anything I said would end up in a report to my parents.

I talked about my social problems rather clinically for a twelve or thirteen-year-old, and the shrink never got inside my defenses, which were hyper-vigilant by that time. In the end, I found out much later, he told my parents that he thought I could deal with whatever-it-was that was troubling me. I certainly never talked to him about the gruesome details of my everyday existence, and the threats which came from all directions: other kids, teachers, my mother.....

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2015-12-14 at 07:12