mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2013-11-16, 20:24   #56
literka

Mar 2010

26·3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
His name is Anand Nair and if you will fail to mention his contribution, your page will be a forgery.

I need agreement from Axn, not from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Even this is no longer true. You didn't even have a proof until Anand Nair corrected you.
So, the result now is Anand's result? I thought it was my result for life. Oh no, I will start to cry very soon.
literka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 22:41   #57
jyb

Aug 2005
Seattle, WA

2×3×283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by literka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyb View Post
Now, now. While everyone seems to agree that literka's manipulations don't have much value....
Where is this information from?
Indeed, perhaps I abused the word "everyone". You, at least, are exempt from this group. Otherwise I will cite as evidence that several people have stated or implied that this work is without value, and so far nobody has presented a contrary opinion.

Still, to give you the benefit of the doubt, can you explain what value this work does have? I.e. what is interesting about your work? Not the result, clearly, since I think everyone was quite convinced that 59649589127497217 is a factor of F7; so it must be the method. What makes your method worth studying? What is there to learn from it?

Note that I am not asking these questions in a judgmental, rhetorical way (i.e. to imply that the answer is "nothing"). I am genuinely curious as to what value you think this adds to mathematics.
jyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 23:23   #58
literka

Mar 2010

26×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyb View Post
Indeed, perhaps I abused the word "everyone". You, at least, are exempt from this group. Otherwise I will cite as evidence that several people have stated or implied that this work is without value, and so far nobody has presented a contrary opinion.

Still, to give you the benefit of the doubt, can you explain what value this work does have? I.e. what is interesting about your work? Not the result, clearly, since I think everyone was quite convinced that 59649589127497217 is a factor of F7; so it must be the method. What makes your method worth studying? What is there to learn from it?

Note that I am not asking these questions in a judgmental, rhetorical way (i.e. to imply that the answer is "nothing"). I am genuinely curious as to what value you think this adds to mathematics.

You asked me a philosophical question. That is why I will not answer it. There were always such questions i.e. when Four Colors Th. was proved there were such questions, the same about Bieberbach Th, and even Fermat's Th. These are hard questions to answer, especially to people, who don't know mathematics or to the people like you, who are convinced that something is worthless.
Anyway, don't ask me such questions, because I am not a philosopher. I don't mind if you have your own opinion, and even I will appreciate it.
Old 2013-11-16, 23:58   #59
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
You asked me a philosophical question. That is why I will not answer it.
The question was simple, direct, and can be properly asked about
any mathematical argument. It is NOT "philosophical"

You, in turn replied in typical crank fashion by evasion and refusal to
answer.

I think the reason why you refuse to answer is that you know that
your "argument" has no value and are afraid to admit it.

Every time you open your mouth you come across like an ignorant
and arrogant ass. Ignorance and arrogance is quite a combination.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 00:04   #60
literka

Mar 2010

3008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
The question was simple, direct, and can be properly asked about
any mathematical argument. It is NOT "philosophical"

You, in turn replied in typical crank fashion by evasion and refusal to
answer.

I think the reason why you refuse to answer is that you know that
your "argument" has no value and are afraid to admit it.

Every time you open your mouth you come across like an ignorant
and arrogant ass. Ignorance and arrogance is quite a combination.

Stop provoking me. Because of you I am in "Misc.". If you think that a supermod will have a reason to intervene, then I will answer - Not this time my dear.
Old 2013-11-17, 00:18   #61
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×52×127 Posts

Quote:
Stop provoking me. Because of you I am in "Misc.". If you think that a supermod will have a reason to intervene, then I will answer - Not this time my dear.
Just to be very clear, the "supermods" always enjoy a good, fair and honest fight.

Usually this is just a verbal debate about ideas, but sometimes it involves atoms moving at high speed....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 00:25   #62
literka

Mar 2010

26×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Just to be very clear, the "supermods" always enjoy a good, fair and honest fight.

Usually this is just a verbal debate about ideas, but sometimes it involves atoms moving at high speed....

Is this really a fair debate, when one person calls another a crank? I did not use such a word, but I was moved to "Misc.". I don't mind, but I don't want any trouble.
Old 2013-11-17, 00:30   #63
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3·52·127 Posts

Quote:
Is this really a fair debate, when one person calls another a crank? I did not use such a word, but I was moved to "Misc.". I don't mind, but I don't want any trouble.
Learn how to debate, grasshopper...

State what (and only what) you are comfortable defending.

You don't need to bat at every ball. Read: Choose your battles.
Old 2013-11-17, 00:43   #64
literka

Mar 2010

26·3 Posts

Quote:
Learn how to debate, grasshopper...

State what (and only what) you are comfortable defending.

You don't need to bat at every ball. Read: Choose your battles.

Thanks for your lesson. I don't want to defend anything. I just don't want to be called crank or grasshopper.
Old 2013-11-17, 00:55   #65
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

224658 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your lesson. I don't want to defend anything. I just don't want to be called crank or grasshopper.
Be comfortable being called anything.
Old 2013-11-17, 00:58   #66
literka

Mar 2010

26×3 Posts

Quote:
Be comfortable being called anything.

OK. I will. Only that I will not answer to any abusive post.