chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
EDIT: Even had a 2nd phone line installed in my house for it!
Yup.

After been yelled at by my sister for preventing her friends from calling her (escalated up to Momzie for extra serious screaming), I had a second phone line installed for my two years of University.

I'll never forget the sweet sweet sound of training tones (went from 300 baud for year one, to 2400 baud for year two)...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-09, 14:51   #981
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1101100100012 Posts

I think Ernst has been responsible in describing his prophylactic nasal rinse.

I also disapprove of wildly exaggerated fear mongering. The Forum may indeed be "reachable" by billions of people, but I don't think the actual number of visits comes anywhere close. Further, the specialized nature of many of the Forum's topics, heralded by the name "Mersenne Forum," and manifest by its link from GIMPS, would tend to raise the proportion of people visiting the site who have the critical thinking skills needed to take stated cautions seriously.

As to folks who don't take COVID-19 seriously, and don't accept the wisdom of wearing a mask in public, or decry it as "the government taking away our freedoms," I suggest they discuss it with Herman Cain. And if they continue to act recklessly, perhaps they will be doing so soon.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-08-09 at 14:51 Reason: Omit unnecessary words!
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-09, 15:35   #982
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2×32×5×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
...As to folks who don't take COVID-19 seriously, and don't accept the wisdom of wearing a mask in public, or decry it as "the government taking away our freedoms," I suggest they discuss it with Herman Cain. And if they continue to act recklessly, perhaps they will be doing so soon.
As the majority of us know, the large chain-stores have enacted mask requirements. Walmart. There are very few who do not know what this is. There is one just about a mile from where I live. 1.6 kilometers for those not accustom to the non metric distances. Everyone is wearing their masks to get in. Once inside and people get back into the aisles, things change. One in three, more or less, will pull them below their noses, below their chins, or remove them completely. As far as I can determine, store employees say nothing to these people. This needs to change. The portion of patrons not wearing masks properly defeats the purpose of anyone wearing them.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-09, 15:49   #983
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
As far as I can determine, store employees say nothing to these people. This needs to change. The portion of patrons not wearing masks properly defeats the purpose of anyone wearing them.
To share, I'm really proud with how Barbados has handled this whole thing.

We locked-down early, and while there was some complaining and whining, overall everyone did the social distancing and mask-wearing thing diligently.

If you go into a shop here, someone meets you at the door, takes your temperature, and ensures you use the hand-sanitizer at the door. ~98% of people are wearing their mask correctly (although a few seem to believe that their nose doesn't need to be covered).

We've had no community spread for months. The only cases we've seen are imports from "away"; and all of these were already in enforced self-quarantine.
Old 2020-08-09, 17:36   #984
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

861610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
To share, I'm really proud with how Barbados has handled this whole thing.
We've had no community spread for months. The only cases we've seen are imports from "away"; and all of these were already in enforced self-quarantine.
The community/island mentality at play in the best way. You are literally all in it together much more than others.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-09, 18:14   #985
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

221428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
You are literally all in it together much more than others.
Thanks for the words, but I respectfully disagree with your last sentence.

Earth's biosphere is in many ways a closed system, with lots of interconnection.

We're ***ALL*** in this together.

Sadly, it seems that some don't really care all that much about the greater good (for many, many profoundly stupid reasons).
Old 2020-08-09, 18:15   #986
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1025410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
If you go into a shop here, someone meets you at the door, takes your temperature, and ensures you use the hand-sanitizer at the door. ~98% of people are wearing their mask correctly (although a few seem to believe that their nose doesn't need to be covered).

Exactly the same happens here (La Palma) with exactly the same consequences.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 14:38   #987
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2·32·5·17 Posts

It's just plain out-of-control here in the U.S. This country really doesn't seem like a country anymore. It's more like a collection of 360-million individuals who care nothing about anyone else except themselves. The only thing they have in common is the language. Many believe wearing a mask infringes on their rights, so they don't do it. I fear it may take something really drastic to get the infection rate to drop. Maybe even martial law.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 15:17   #988
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

23×3×359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Many believe wearing a mask infringes on their rights, so they don't do it. I fear it may take something really drastic to get the infection rate to drop. Maybe even martial law.
They are the "sheeple" that they claim others are. Even the death of a noted politician from an infection gotten at a political rally (Herman Cain) doesn't seem to have an impact. The Prez is being vary forked tongued about masks.
Old 2020-08-10, 20:01   #989
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
The Prez is being vary forked tongued about masks.
Those of us in less developed nations are observing what's been done in the "Great US of A" as "evolution in action".

It's a bit like watching a train wreck in slow motion in real-time.
Old 2020-08-10, 22:21   #990
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

206508 Posts

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.

Not screaming and shouting like the others in the car that he was driving at the time.