mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-08-10, 12:32   #298
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23×32×107 Posts

We have an electric lawn mower that works great. It is quiet, has no vibration, requires very little maintenance and weighs very little. It came with one battery and we bought an additional one since it can hold two.

https://www.echocordless.com/products/lawn-mower/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 15:12   #299
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100001101011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Speaking of fuel, and crappy documentation, the documentation for my mower says you can use up to E10 gasohol. Not me. Heck, the people who sell mowers, weed whackers etc. will tell you that using ethanol-free gas helps avoid lots of maintenance problems
Stihl, which makes such things, offers "Motomix" premix. I've seen Motomix offered at six dollars a quart. And God knows how long it sits on the shelf before purchase.
I have been using this Stihl battery powered string trimmer for over a year. It is the real deal. Upgraded the head to the more industrial model. Have been using some braided style line. Battery run time is great and it is fast charging. When it was bought it was their top end for battery powered. They now have an even stronger one. Most of the stuff I use it on is much heavier than grass. The bump head will allow twin 6m of segments of line to be loaded. Only complaint I have with it is the battery catches on it tend to be difficult to click to remove the battery for charging.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 21:25   #300
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We have an electric lawn mower that works great. It is quiet, has no vibration, requires very little maintenance and weighs very little. It came with one battery and we bought an additional one since it can hold two.

https://www.echocordless.com/products/lawn-mower/
Nice - now all you need to go completely green (well, except for lubricating oil and all the ptro-products associated with the manufacture of the mower and accessory equipment) is a solar charger for thos batteries. I note the rated watt-hours are almost exactly the same as those of the little solar-chargeable power station I bought last Fall in the wake of a 3-day pre-emptive outage by PG&E. I can fully charge that using a 60W compact foldable panel in a single day of sitting on the wide ledge outside my south-facing living room panoramic window. There would of course be some loss attendant to first charging that and then hooking your mower's charger into the 100V output plug.

The standard 18V compact solar panel I bought along with the above can also be used to charge outher battery setups, e.g. a larger one based on standard car-style lead-acid batteries. It would simply need multiple days of charge time.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 22:26   #301
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
e.g. a larger one based on standard car-style lead-acid batteries. It would simply need multiple days of charge time.
Only an idiot would use Lead-acid nowadays for electron storage (unless constrained within a Carbon Consuming Car).

Why, sincerely, do you keep bringing up stupid ideas?

Do you have a political agenda?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 22:35   #302
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·5·431 Posts

Lead acid is good for storing charge for weeks on end.
How long can you expect to 85% of charge to remain once pulled off the charger?

Lead acid is still much cheaper in the 1000Ah range.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 22:42   #303
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Only an idiot would use Lead-acid nowadays for electron storage (unless constrained within a Carbon Consuming Car).

Why, sincerely, do you keep bringing up stupid ideas?

Do you have a political agenda?
Insanely bored at work again? Off your meds? I any event, keep it up with the baseless flameposts you've been running for the better part of a week and I will be happy to help restore your focus.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 22:45   #304
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Lead acid is still much cheaper in the 1000Ah range.
We've already talked about this.

Much like Intel's team once said: "Real men have fabs". (And now Intel can't keep up in fab.)

Nowadays serious people have advanced battery tech for distributed "smart-grid" (or maybe something primitive or larger scale, like molten salts, or pumping water up hills).

Move fast. Break stuff. See what works, and what doesn't.
Old 2020-08-10, 22:46   #305
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
... and I will be happy to help restore your focus.
Bring it on.
Old 2020-08-10, 23:27   #306
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100100011000102 Posts

Quote:
Bring it on.
People like ewmayer claim to be powerful. And threaten and shout down.

We snicker in their general direction.

Few have read the seminal thinkers.

Nicolo Machiavelli.

Tzu Sun.

Et al.

The sad truth is those skilled in the Political Space are far more powerful than those who understand how the Universe actually works.

We manage the situation, as best we can.
Old 2020-08-11, 00:02   #307
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

7778 Posts

Quote:
I just replaced the batteries in my UPS's with lead acid. AFAIK that was my only option.
Since lithium batteries have different charge characteristics I would have had to replace my aging but perfectly functioning UPS's in order to avoid the lead acid batteries, isn't that right? The batteries were 12V 12Ah and 12V 7Ah.

The old ones went directly to the local recycling company.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 00:57   #308
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
I just replaced the batteries in my UPS's with lead acid. AFAIK that was my only option.
I stand corrected.

Strong people are comfortable with correction.

Tall people are top-heavy...