Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-06-02, 12:09   #958
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×7×421 Posts

5 people dead at Tulsa medical building, in the 233rd mass shooting of 2022
Quote:
Tulsa police confirmed that a shooter killed four people at Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa, Okla., on Wednesday.

"Four innocents and one shooter" are dead, Jonathan Brooks of the Tulsa police department said at a news conference on Wednesday.

Police have not yet identified the shooter and said that he died following a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The shooter had a rifle and a handgun on him, Brooks said.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-02, 13:05   #959
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

26·3·5 Posts

Quote:
And it makes it easier for the gunperson to escape the scene quickly and not be caught inside.
I know this is sarcasm, but most school attackers are trying to kill themselves along with as many others as they can. This is different for non-school attacks.

School attackers have used knives (China several years ago), dynamite (Sterling MI nearly 100 years ago), handguns, rifles, shotguns, and other weapons capable of killing rapidly. The common denominator is a person disaffected with society. This is usually a loner who is bullied and excluded from school social cliques.

What about non-school attacks? Dylan Roof with the church shooting, the recent attack in NY, and others with racial motives usually come from radicalized young men. Loughner was arguably politically motivated.

The connection with mental illness is very high e.g. Sandy Hook.

There will be a ton of political wrangling. I think the U.S. will settle on new laws to raise the age to purchase guns to 21. Will this be enough? No. Will boosting mental health training help? Yes, but defunding mental health programs has been the modus operandi for the last 10+ years.

I grew up with guns. My first gun was a 410 shotgun when I was 10 and a 22 Ruger rifle at 14 followed by a S&W Model 10 .38 caliber pistol at 16. My father stressed gun safety to an extreme. This included keeping the gun unloaded inside the house, keeping the safety on, never pointing it at anyone, etc. He also taught a very strong dose of never killing a human being with a gun unless it is absolutely necessary. When I was in school in the 1960's and 1970's, it was common for guns to be in vehicles on campus. Most boys carried pocket knives, including me. What has changed?
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 12:03   #960
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·7·421 Posts

US Rep. Billy Long (R-MO) is blaming mass shootings on abortion. He says, “When I was growing up in Springfield, you had one or two murders a year. Now we have two, three, four a week in Springfield, Missouri.

“So something has happened to our society. I go back to abortion, when we decided it was OK to murder kids in their mothers’ wombs. Life has no value to a lot of these folks.”

He's pulling his murder "statistics" out of somewhere the sun don't shine.

(Incidentally, in the book Freakonomics the authors argue that Roe v. Wade resulted in a precipitous drop in crime statistics beginning in the late 1980's.)

Mr. Long is now running for the US Senate.

Is he related to Jabba the Hutt? You be the judge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	billy_long.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	26963  
Old 2022-06-03, 13:51   #961
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×3×1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
US Rep. Billy Long (R-MO) is blaming mass shootings on abortion. He says, “When I was growing up in Springfield, you had one or two murders a year. Now we have two, three, four a week in Springfield, Missouri.

So all those other countries that freely allow abortions must have crime stats in the stratosphere. I want to see his statistical analysis and how he conducted the study. He did do that, right?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 14:07   #962
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×13×409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I want to see his statistical analysis and how he conducted the study. He did do that, right?
He is just doubling down on whipping up his base. I am surprised that he didn't say it was a result of a commie plot to keep 'mericans from filling jobs so that immigrants can take them away. Cause the jobs of the dead ain't going to fill themselves.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-04, 03:34   #963
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·7·421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post

So all those other countries that freely allow abortions must have crime stats in the stratosphere. I want to see his statistical analysis and how he conducted the study. He did do that, right?
Like an R would be concerned with things like facts and truth. Such naivety, so cute...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
<snip>
He's pulling his murder "statistics" out of somewhere the sun don't shine.
<snip>
Old 2022-06-04, 12:40   #964
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·7·421 Posts

US Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) has another theory of what causes mass shootings: Single mothers. And a "decline in moral values."

Given the fact that his party has become a personality cult, embracing lies and punishing those who stand up for truth, he might have a point.

Mr. Brooks, like Mr. Long in Missouri, is running for the US Senate.
Old 2022-06-05, 23:42   #965
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

204458 Posts

This is kinda long but we think it is worth your time:

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-06, 08:14   #966
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

3·5·23·29 Posts

This is a must to see... (And for whoever is not following Trevor Noah, he has few more, on the same subject)

LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-06, 12:16   #967
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·3·1,093 Posts

There are so many "incidents" that is isn't even worth it to write an article for each. So to save time they just report them in bulk.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...g-dead-wounded

We need to use the vector multiply-add units to total up the dead and injured, those old scalar units won't be able to keep up.

I'm beginning to see the reason for the "more guns" solution being peddled each time. Soon everyone will be killed, and therefore problem solved.

Please leave the infrastructure undamaged, then other more civilised people can move in and make better use of it. Thanks.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2022-06-06 at 22:05
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-06, 22:01   #968
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24·661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
This is kinda long but we think it is worth your time:
I am so far 2:17 into it. I keep breaking into tears and having to pause.

Seriously. 8-(
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote