I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

1000000111012 Posts
Default KVM Switches

From the "New Build" thread:
Quote:
Oh, and you might like the dual-screen setup you get with your GPU. Add $200 for a nice extra monitor. $50 for a KVM switch if you want to run multiple machines from one monitor.
My experience with a KVM switch was that because of the extra VGA cable, the monitor wasn't detected and Windows wouldn't offer me the correct screen resolution. (Manually configurable on one PC's graphics card settings but not the other.) Also the picture would be 'fuzzy'.

Has anyone else had these problems?
Just with analogue monitors/connections?
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 12:43   #2
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

My experience iwth a KVM switch is limited to a network with Win98, Win2K (as primaries) and WinXP SP3 as a secondary monitor. The monitors are recent flat panels. The oldest box there runs a Nohau 8051 in-circuit emulator when I need it, and Windoze networking to get the debug images.

I haven't had image quality problems, but Windows XP was way too ready to fool with video settings when it found the secondary monitor (on the far side of a GTX210 GPU) wasn't there. I eventually gave up and went back to single screen, and get an ersatz second screen when debugging by turning back to the XP box with the source code.

I do have two keyboards on this setup.

I have not gotten my money's worth out of the second KVM switch I bought, on account of running out of energy for the basement network after getting the Phenom II x6 box working. The phenom II x6 box has its lid open and still waiting for me to figure out how to install an aux fan.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 15:50   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

28·41 Posts

I've two solutions. A KVM switch for the servers I don't use very often; it's there primarily for rebooting, etc. Interactive use is generally over the network anyway.

The two machines in frequent interactive use are plugged into the two DVI sockets on the back of the same monitor so they each get full quality graphics but, of course, it means I've two keyboards and two mice on my desktop.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 16:09   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

135528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
... I've two keyboards and two mice on my desktop.
One set for each hand, of course. And if you had two monitors then that would be perfect, one for each eye. The question being why are we humans so severely limited with our lack of abundant external manipulatable control operating protrusions?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 16:31   #5
chris2be8

Sep 2009

7B516 Posts

My experience with Linux is that I had to have each system as the current system while I boot it. Once it had detected the monitor and chosen screen settings etc I could switch to another system to boot it.

Not a big issue if they normally run all the time.

Chris K
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 18:45   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

290016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
One set for each hand, of course. And if you had two monitors then that would be perfect, one for each eye. The question being why are we humans so severely limited with our lack of abundant external manipulatable control operating protrusions?
Actually, I used have two monitors, one per system, until a cat ran berserk after a bird it had brought in. When I got home one evening I found feathers, blood and sundry other pieces of dismantled poultry (or possibly game, I'm not too sure of the official classification of blackbirds) and a monitor that had been knocked over such that its screen hit a sharp and hard corner on the way down.

The house contents insurance paid for a new monitor but I've not yet got enough round tuits for it to be installed properly.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 00:56   #7
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

11B216 Posts
Default Hmmm ... best investment for me for GIMPS

I got a 4-port KVM.

3 PCs on XP; 1 on Vista
1 old style (not flat) monitor
1 keyboard
1 mouse
= 1 very uncluttered desk

0 problems + 0 issues
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 06:40   #8
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
My experience with a KVM switch was that because of the extra VGA cable, the monitor wasn't detected and Windows wouldn't offer me the correct screen resolution. (Manually configurable on one PC's graphics card settings but not the other.) Also the picture would be 'fuzzy'.

Has anyone else had these problems?
Just with analogue monitors/connections?
I haven't seen the original thread, but can you hook up one PC via VGA and another via DVI or HDMI? I have two computers connected directly to the same LCD monitor, one by VGA and the other through the video card's DVI Out. Both gave great displays automatically.

My father has a KVM switch on two of his computers, and the arrangement is balky at best.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 13:04   #9
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

Balky or bulky? My desk is more than a bit clunky, with the 3 machines on top.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 16:58   #10
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32×103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
Balky or bulky? My desk is more than a bit clunky, with the 3 machines on top.
Bulky too, but definitely balky -- he needs to turn things on in a definite order (which I've never learned), or else one of the PCs won't display anything. Even so, IIRC if you start switching from one to the other PC sometimes the display just stops working for no apparent reason.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 23:09   #11
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

10001101100102 Posts
Default Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I got a 4-port KVM.

3 PCs on XP; 1 on Vista
1 old style (not flat) monitor
1 keyboard
1 mouse
= 1 very uncluttered desk

0 problems + 0 issues
A few weeks after I submitted this one of my three PCs (the one running Vista)on the KVM stopped talking to the keyboard. Control Panel says it is working fine and the driver is up to date but I cannot type with it. The Keyboard works just fine with the other 2 PCs though.

I will be updating the non-keyboard-working PC to W-7 soon and see what happens then.

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2011-10-23 at 23:09
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote