Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-03-07, 16:30   #1
Fred

"Ron"
Jan 2016
Fitchburg, MA

11000012 Posts
Default ANONYMOUS

I understand that individuals (in their account settings) can leave their Public Name blank, and appear as ANONYMOUS in the "Top X Reports". My question is if those who run Prime95, but didn't enter an associated "account" username when installing it, also appear on the reports as "ANONYMOUS"?

For example, I noticed "ANONYMOUS" in position 2 of the top LL producers report (http://www.mersenne.org/report_top_500_ll/). Is this an individual who just wishes to remain anonymous, but clearly has a stable of resources dedicated to the project? Or is it a cumulative tally of everyone who installed Prime95 but didn't associate the install with an account?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-07, 16:43   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

27AC16 Posts

That is a collective result.

Consider, that this "person" would have a stable of computers which rivals the ~1000 run by Curtis Cooper. It is hard to imagine that someone who is that dedicated to the project would remain entirely unknown. (It is also demonstrable by those who have the means that these contributions come from many users.)
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-07, 16:59   #3
Fred

"Ron"
Jan 2016
Fitchburg, MA

97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
That is a collective result.

Consider, that this "person" would have a stable of computers which rivals the ~1000 run by Curtis Cooper. It is hard to imagine that someone who is that dedicated to the project would remain entirely unknown. (It is also demonstrable by those who have the means that these contributions come from many users.)
So what about position 15 on the same report? Would that then be a dedicated anonymous individual?

Last fiddled with by Fred on 2016-03-07 at 17:01
Old 2016-03-07, 17:34   #4
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
So what about position 15 on the same report? Would that then be a dedicated anonymous individual?
You got me on that one. Others will know.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-07, 17:42   #5
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

93C16 Posts

I'm guessing the first "ANONYMOUS" profile is the collective designation for unregistered users while the others are users that have chosen to hide their display name.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-07, 23:18   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

There are those who are registered but have decided against a public display name, and those who haven't registered at all. The former each still have their own entries (which is listed as "ANONYMOUS") on the various leaderboards; the latter are all aggregated under the same entry at the top (also listed as "ANONYMOUS"). Thus the biggest ANONYMOUS entry is the sum of all the unregistered users and their collective throughput, while all other ANONYMOUS entries are for registered individuals without a display name.

Basically your final phrase in the OP is correct. (Excellent guesswork!)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 00:10   #7
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×5×7×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
There are those who are registered but have decided against a public display name, and those who haven't registered at all. The former each still have their own entries (which is listed as "ANONYMOUS") on the various leaderboards; the latter are all aggregated under the same entry at the top (also listed as "ANONYMOUS"). Thus the biggest ANONYMOUS entry is the sum of all the unregistered users and their collective throughput, while all other ANONYMOUS entries are for registered individuals without a display name.

Basically your final phrase in the OP is correct. (Excellent guesswork!)
I was looking at something related to the multiple meanings of "Anonymous" for the username just this morning (relating to failed attempts to self-verify work).

It occurred to me that a better way to list these "registered but no public name given" users would be to use "Private" instead of "Anonymous". After all, from the server perspective we can track their contributions since they do have a unique user id, so they're not really anonymous in that way.

As for the actual "Anonymous" collective, yeah, they're all lumped into one big pile of users, although if they're connecting via Prime95 there is a CPU guid in the local.txt file, and contributions from a specific machine can be tracked. So... full disclosure there.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 01:50   #8
Fred

"Ron"
Jan 2016
Fitchburg, MA

97 Posts

Thanks for verifying. It would be nice to see the individuals listed as Private Vs Anonymous, just for clarity sake.

I have to confess, watching my position climb on the list has become a new obsession. Although contributing as much as curtis will never be possible, top 5 on the LL list is do-able in 1 a year or so. Understanding that #2 (anonymous) isn't an actual person gives me strange solace.
Old 2016-03-08, 08:00   #9
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

2×7×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
I was looking at something related to the multiple meanings of "Anonymous" for the username just this morning (relating to failed attempts to self-verify work).

It occurred to me that a better way to list these "registered but no public name given" users would be to use "Private" instead of "Anonymous". After all, from the server perspective we can track their contributions since they do have a unique user id, so they're not really anonymous in that way.
Or change the unregistered users so they show lumped under "Unregistered", and leave the registered but anonymous users as anonymous. :)

Last fiddled with by 0PolarBearsHere on 2016-03-08 at 08:00
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 13:50   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23·7·167 Posts

Be vewy vewy qwiet. We're hunting pwimes!
Click image for larger version

Name:	anonymous.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	14020
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote