mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Languages -- Ancient & Modern, Human & Machine

Old 2021-03-29, 05:43   #34
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

9,629 Posts
Lightbulb a bilingual illiterate - origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
This is my favourite bilingual pun to demonstrate to friends that are bilingual. It works best out loud, not written, that is the key.
Here is an interesting bilingual joke - Now, everyone who watched MTV as a child probably thought that it was Pet Shop Boys' but I suspect that the real author is Steven Wright.
Quote:
She was a bilingual illiterate… she couldn’t read in two different languages.

Steven Wright
Quote:
Chris Lowe : Where are you from?

Neil Tennant : Yes where are you from?

Priest: I'm glad you asked me twice. You see I'm a bilingual. A bilingual illiterate - I can't read in two languages.
(In fact, in the movie from which the MTV clip is chopped , Joss Ackland says 3+ more Steven's oneliners in a row!) (!!)
To everyone doesn't know Steven - while you might have not seen him in your life, you most likely heard him: his is the voice on the radio in both Reservoir Dogs and in Pulp Fiction.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 15:43   #35
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5,147 Posts

Molly Ivins said of George W. Bush that his efforts at speaking Spanish showed he was not bilingual, but bi-ignorant. The descriptor had previously been used by others, e.g.Jim Hightower, in reference to other Texas politicians trying to learn Spanish.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 19:13   #36
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101011000110112 Posts

Quote:
This is my favourite bilingual pun to demonstrate to friends that are bilingual. It works best out loud, not written, that is the key.
Frappe frappe.
Qui est là?
Loste.
Loste qui?
Oui.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 19:22   #37
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

1103510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Well, opinions still vary. We had this argument once. Latins pronounced c as k every time, except when followed by e or i, which were pronounced "tche", and "tchi", like in "check" and "chimp". That is why the alphabet is "aa, be, tche, de" and not "aa, be, ke, de" (and you have "abecedary" or "abecedarium" in English, and not "abekedary", etc). When they wanted to avoid pronouncing it so, they inserted and "a" in between. Words like "kaizer" were written "caesar", and not "cesar", and kerberos is a borrowed word from greek, therefore irrelevant (yes, they were pronouncing it "tcherberos"), as well as place names (see how most of the world used to call for decades "Pekin", "Beijing"). The "ae" group was always pronounced like open "e" (like in english "bet"), there are many plurals of feminine words (which ended in "a") formed like that, for example "silva/silvae" (forest, forests), pronounced "silve".
You describe a later form of Latin, Vulgar Latin, from perhaps the 4th century onwards.

Essentially all scholars now believe that Classical Latin was pronounced in the time of Brutus and Julius Caesar as I have describe it.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_...nd_orthography for a comprehensive treatment. In particular

"
⟨c⟩, ⟨k⟩ [k] Always hard as k in sky, never soft as in cellar, cello, or social. ⟨k⟩ is a letter coming from Greek, but seldom used and generally replaced by c.
⟨ch⟩ [kʰ] As ch in chemistry, and aspirated; never as in challenge or change (mostly used in Greek loanwords). Transliteration of Greek ⟨χ⟩.
"

Compare English: "red" was pronounced the same as "read" not so long ago, and "enough" had an aspirated-g as still exists in modern Dutch "Van Gogh". There is absolutely no doubt that "Cerberos" was pronounced very similar to English Kerberos and Greek Κέρβερος. Many other bi-lingual examples exist, some from Latin paired with another ancient language and others from Latin and a modern language. I have already provided Caesar and Kaiser.

Pronounciation changes.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-09-14 at 19:29
Old 2021-09-14, 20:31   #38
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

278F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Pronounciation changes.
Thus "The great bowel shift".
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 20:54   #39
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2B1B16 Posts

Quote:
A cat of our acquaintance is called "Cake" by us. We have since learned that the people across the road with whom he spends most of his time call him Garfield. Cake came by for a chat and a bite to eat about an hour ago and then left.

His name is a trilingual pun. That should be a big enough clue if you know that we presently live in La Palma, a Canarian island which is part of Spain.
Old 2021-09-14, 20:55   #40
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

5×2,207 Posts

Quote:
Thus "The great bowel shift".
happens.
Old 2021-09-15, 13:29   #41
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

514710 Posts

I have long been familiar with the term "quack" meaning a medical charlatan. I had never bothered looking up the etymology.

I have now done so. And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but the Dutch word quacksalver (modern spelling kwakzalver), a Dutch word for a seller of nostrums - pills, potions, ointments etc often claimed to have secret or exotic ingredients, sure to cure what ails you. Thus arose the related US term, "snake oil salesman."

In recent times, "quack" has usually meant somebody without actual medical knowledge or training, who sells pretended treatments or "cures" for ailments.

We are currently witnessing a twist on the notion of medical quackery: Trained physicians, with current medical licenses, are spouting falsehoods about nonexistent "dangers" of preventative vaccines, and in their place offering nostrums they claim with no evidence prevent or cure COVID-19 - vitamin and mineral supplements, antibiotics, hydroxychloroquine, and ivermectin. Pay me some dough, I'll write you a scrip. In other words, doctors are turning their backs on their medical training, and on medical ethics, and are practicing quackery.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote