mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2011-09-08, 02:06   #1
aymanmikhail

Aug 2011
nowhere

22×3 Posts
Default Creation Museum

I recently discovered that there is a Creation Museum a few miles from where I live. I'm waiting till I'm strong enough to control the level of my indignation before visiting it for the first time. I dread facing the pleasant museum curator who so firmly believes in what he is doing.
aymanmikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 02:20   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

I've actually been there myself; I would say that, regardless of what position you're coming from, they do a pretty good job of articulating their position and why they believe what they believe. I found that their presentation of their viewpoint is, on the whole, on par with that given of the opposite view by a well-respected museum of more "mainstream" focus.

If you're interested in the topic of origins, being as geographically close as you are I would definitely recommend checking it out--to "know your enemy", as it were. The museum is put on by an organization of creationist scientists from various fields, who speak there on a regular basis; from what I recall when I was there, they usually have "question and answer" sections at the end of most presentations, so if you are so inclined, you should be able to find ample opportunity to engage in a public discussion of the science involved.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 02:22   #3
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,181 Posts

Posted to reddit long ago...
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 03:30   #4
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts
Default Next door to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanmikhail View Post
I recently discovered that there is a Creation Museum a few miles from where I live.
Middle of Nowhere

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 05:32   #5
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

The last time I looked at "Creation Science", where they claimed that rocks fresh from Mount St Helens were being dated by scientists at a million years, what they didn't tell you was that that was the first notch on a billion year timescale for the method involved.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure....do your error analysis, figure out the quantities involved and the results of small measurement errors.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 12:55   #6
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

836110 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/noahs-ark-ky-a...093543701.html

Quote:
He said it has not yet been determined how many live animals will be in the boat during visiting hours, but the majority will be stuffed or animatronic. At their count, Noah had anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 on board.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 06:26   #7
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

293D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
Jason,

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. My thoughts exactly. Thanks for posting!

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 05:14   #8
aymanmikhail

Aug 2011
nowhere

22·3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
Thanks, Jason!

I went, I saw.. so ridiculous, it's not worth wasting any amount of energy on it. The end.
aymanmikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 07:15   #9
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

That reddit guy sounds like a piece of work, and not a good piece of work. Read the first 20-30 lines and quit reading. There was no reasoning in his argument, he was simply being insulting. To be honest, people like him are the precise reason it will be impossible to pry me away from Christianity.

Think about it, if this guy is a good representation of being right, then why does the human race deserve to exist at all? Christianity teaches that everyone is exactly as important as anyone else, from the richest person to the most ineffectual beggar you can find. Obviously, not everyone deserves to have a lot of power, but who would you rather have to deal with, the reddit jackass or someone who believes that EVERYONE deserves respect?

That's the precise reason I'm a Christian, because if Darwinism is true there's no reason to give a damn about anything. If I'm given a choice of 99.9 certainty that the world has no meaning and .1% certainty that life has infinite meaning(I think the percentage is about a 1000 times higher, but I'm trying to make a point) it seems the obvious choice to choose the .1% choice.

People wonder how Christians can be so crazy, and we wonder the exact same thing about you guys.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 14:43   #10
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

40358 Posts

I think creationists can get carried away. Trying to force data to fit their (sometimes incorrect) understanding of the Bible.
But I see evolutionists regularly doing something similar. Desperately trying to explain something in evolutionary terms when there is no need at all.

I believe that iiii

ooh mi keybrd iz brkn.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 16:57   #11
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3·1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
That's the precise reason I'm a Christian, because if Darwinism is true there's no reason to give a damn about anything.
In 15-20 years, you won't believe you used to think that.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote