mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2012-07-18, 05:16   #111
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

13·727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
I started a test with v1.4.2. Are the save files compatible?
Certainly not! All below 1.6 are using different checkpoint files structure.
(happened to me when switched from 1.49 to 1.61) If you are far into the test, like 5M-8M iterations for a 26M DC, then let it run, it will take less time to finish than a fresh restart with 2.03. If you are lower iteration count, then stop it, delete saved files, and restart with 2.03 (or 2.04), which will use a better FFT size and are much faster and you can rapidly recover the distance.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-07-18 at 05:17 Reason: quote
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 18:15   #112
TObject

Feb 2012

40510 Posts

I am over two-fifth into the test. I will let it finish before upgraiding. Thank you for your help.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 18:49   #113
Brain

Dec 2009
Peine, Germany

331 Posts
Unhappy Grr

That's what I really tried to avoid: old PDFs hanging out there.
Two and a half options:
a) a reliable moderator regularly deletes old versions
b) gimme admin rights
The latter I don't deserve too much.
(c) stop the GPU cheat sheet)
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 20:20   #114
TObject

Feb 2012

34·5 Posts

Here is an idea: store the PDF off-site and include a link to the PDF in the first post of this thread. Then, when a new version of the PDF is ready, put it in the same place where the old PDF was, with the same name, so that the old link always points to the latest version of the PDF.

Also, include the links posted by LaurV and Dubslow into the first post.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 04:32   #115
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

I could potentially offer such a "live-update" (live to when I see a new version) service, though many others can as well.

As for links in the first post, I'd recommend the following three links:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cudalucas/
http://mersenneforum.org/mfaktc
http://mersenneforum.org/mfakto (and perhaps also https://github.com/Bdot42/mfakto)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 14:22   #116
RichD

Sep 2008
Kansas

3,329 Posts

How about a new sticky thread titled ":Links to GPU Programs" similar to what was done in the Factoring sub-forum?

Not sure if a "Links to GPU Projects" is needed since they all seem to be self-contained within this forum.
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 01:59   #117
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

3·137 Posts

First I want to apologize for asking a question that might have a generally known answer. I swear I searched many threads looking for an answer.

I downloaded cudalucas today and was trying to work out an appropriate FFT length. I ran the bench and it seems like lower numbers have lower times - no surprise - and so I can pick out one of them that is the lowest compared to it's peers. What I don't know is the advantage of having a higher or lower number. Please advise if there are good fft ranges for exponents in whatever millions range.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 02:51   #118
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

23×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
First I want to apologize for asking a question that might have a generally known answer. I swear I searched many threads looking for an answer.

I downloaded cudalucas today and was trying to work out an appropriate FFT length. I ran the bench and it seems like lower numbers have lower times - no surprise - and so I can pick out one of them that is the lowest compared to it's peers. What I don't know is the advantage of having a higher or lower number. Please advise if there are good fft ranges for exponents in whatever millions range.
If you using the recent beta version Dubslow says let it auto select the FFT size. That worked much better than trying to find the best FFT by trial and error. (I am no expert on the product though).

Last fiddled with by swl551 on 2013-01-27 at 03:12
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 03:52   #119
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
If you using the recent beta version Dubslow says let it auto select the FFT size. That worked much better than trying to find the best FFT by trial and error. (I am no expert on the product though).
Letting the auto select pick is a good way to get into the right range.

The smaller the FFT, the faster the test goes. But, the smaller the FFT, the larger the round off error (the same type of roundoff as in Prime95). So choose the smallest FFT whose roundoff is low enough (the program should print some reasonable bounds on screen).

Edit: This also applies to Prime95, however its auto selector is built up from lots (lots) of manual testing by George to be an accurate jump table. (Among other things, the error for a given FFT in CUDALucas is much, much more varied per graphics card than the error in Prime95 for a given processor. George needs to create one table per instruction set [AVX, SSE, etc.] and the error is similar among all processors using that instruction set, whereas with CUDALucas, even a GTX 560 and GTX 580 respond quite differently to FFT lengths for the same exponent, so attempting to build a table would be rather silly. The auto selector just gets you "into the ballpark", and is "good enough", but with lots of fiddling, you might be able to get 5%, 10%, or maybe even more speed gains compared to the auto select. Most people [myself included] just don't bother though.)

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2013-01-27 at 04:11
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 04:04   #120
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

3·137 Posts

Ah ha! That's exactly what I need, thanks.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 12:10   #121
mbn451

Mar 2013

1210 Posts

Hey are there any plans for a Mac version of the GPU computing programs? I would really like to put my graphics card to work on my new iMac, but not sure about compatibility.

Thanks!
mbn451 is offline   Reply With Quote