mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Wikis > mersennewiki

Old 2005-09-20, 02:36   #12
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1D2E16 Posts

How can we tell how much content we have? The forum tells us how many threads and messages we have but the wiki is different... How do we know if we are making sufficient progress? The wiki has grown so big that I can't keep track of all the changes, or am I looking at it wrong?

It appears like we are doing very well but I will be honest and admit that all I have time to look at is the change log... I am equating activity in the change log as "good progress"...

Overall, how do you all view the progress so far? Is there anything that needs to be taken care of that is critical?

Also, do we need to worry about a different skin/theme for the wiki, or is the default one okay? I think it would be cool to have the2^p-1logo replace the flower logo...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-20, 07:51   #13
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

38810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
How can we tell how much content we have? The forum tells us how many threads and messages we have but the wiki is different... How do we know if we are making sufficient progress? The wiki has grown so big that I can't keep track of all the changes, or am I looking at it wrong?
If you click Special Pages (under the search box) there is a page called statistics. It’s a bit of a shooting at ducks in a gallery exercise if you ask me because I can’t see how 57 real pages can generate 1065 total pages.
I would prefer not to judge the wiki by how fat it is (how many pages it has) but by the quality of the content, and the number of people who view it. Not being a mathematician the areas where I can contribute are limited, but I have been very impressed by the quality of the other stuff going in and am proud to be associated with it, even though only tangentially.
Our most popular page (other than the main page) has been viewed 379 times, which is about 18 times a day since it went up. This is not a very big number, but I suspect that as both the breadth of what the wiki has to say expands and as the word gets around we will get more visitors.
Changing the logo is a good idea.
What does worry me is that there are still only a very small number of contributors. OmbooHankvald and PrimeMonster are doing wonderful things, and several other people have made some very nice contributions, but it does not seem to have caught the imagination of many Gimpsters. I thought it was supposed to be a collaborative project, and it would be nice if out of 20,000 or so Gimpsters more than eight of them could make a contribution to the wiki.

Some people are not comfortable writing prose, some will feel that they are not sufficiently expert in something to write a whole page. But neither of those are bars to making a contribution. Every one of us knows something. Just pick a subject that has some interest for you and write a few words on it. Even if all you say is what makes it interesting for you. Then someone else will come along and expand on what you have written and in the same way that a simple question in the forum can become a whole thread of great interest, your few simple words will grow into a fine article. To me, that is what wiki is about. When we say Everyone can contribute, Everyone includes you.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-20, 12:25   #14
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

I, myself am very bad at mathematics (but find it interesting nonetheless) so most of my contributions are adding the "technical stuff", the help section, the community portal, the sandbox and all that stuff.

I'll leave the math to the people who actually know something
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-21, 06:03   #15
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

170148 Posts

There needs to be a clear separation between GIMPS and non-GIMPS stuff.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2005-09-21 at 06:06
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-25, 05:33   #16
delta_t

Nov 2002
Anchorage, AK

1011001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Need to link to the PrimeNet archive...
http://tuatara.sdsu.edu/primenet/
Done. GIMPS_PrimeNet_Reports

Last fiddled with by delta_t on 2005-09-25 at 05:39
delta_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-08, 16:07   #17
alpertron

Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

24448 Posts

I added more technical stuff to Elliptic Curve Method trying to keep it as simple as possible.
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-28, 08:17   #18
axn

Jun 2003

2·3·757 Posts

On the top left corner:
Quote:
Set $wgLogo to the URL path to your own logo image.
Can somebody change this?

Last fiddled with by axn on 2005-10-28 at 08:18
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-28, 09:05   #19
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

axn1. Yes, but we need a logo. If you (or anyone else) is an artist please try to make one!
Old 2005-10-28, 10:36   #20
axn

Jun 2003

2×3×757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmbooHankvald
axn1. Yes, but we need a logo. If you (or anyone else) is an artist please try to make one!
I am not an artist
But, how about an enlarged version of the project's logo (2^p-1 icon in red). Or how about this one -- straight from mersenne.org!

Last fiddled with by axn on 2005-10-28 at 10:40
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-28, 11:32   #21
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

12116 Posts

Sounds good to me. However, I think that (as the current logo indicates) the redirect must be made in a system file and therefore I guess that only Xyzzy is capable of changing it.
Old 2005-10-30, 01:47   #22
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·32·5·83 Posts

Picture added... It looks okay but could be better... It has to be 135px by 135px... If anyone has a better picture let me know...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote