mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Wikis > mersennewiki

Old 2005-09-04, 11:50   #12
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

Thank you very much Numbers
It's nice to know that there are actually people who use my guides. That'll definately make me keep improving them!
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 12:14   #13
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

Your site is quite nice with the screenshots and all... we could link to it from the Wiki.

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 14:02   #14
marc

Jun 2004
UK

139 Posts

Just ask Xyzzy to install mediawiki on the server that runs this forum. The whole point of a wiki is no one person has to compile anything. We all just write the best things we can come up with and add/remove bits until it makes sense and sounds good.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-05, 18:31   #15
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa
I more intended it as a place where info discussed on the forum can be filed in an organised manner. The forum contains an impressive wealth of info on all kinds of topics by now, but the info is hard to find - the threads often change topic before the really interesting stuff starts.
Quote:
A place to keep info worth keeping, in a well-origanised manner. The Wiki could contain cut-and-paste copies of good self-contained postings, the summaries of threads, info on one topic that is scattered across threads, etc.
Sort of a beefy reference section with FAQ?

If so, then how about renaming/retitling this thing from "Mersennewiki" to "MersenneForumReferenceWiki" or "MersenneForumReferenceFAQWiki" and changing the URL to http://www.mersenneforum.org/mersenneforumreferencewiki/ or http://www.mersenneforum.org/mersenneforumreferenceFAQwiki/ ?

This would also help keep folks from thinking that it was just another place for casual discussion.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2005-09-05 at 18:35
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-05, 20:24   #16
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·5·373 Posts

I've actually registered mersennewiki.org for it... It will take me a while to get all the DNS stuff figured out...

I'd like to keep it somewhat separate from the forum... If all we needed was a forum FAQ we could use the FAQ facility built in to the forum software...

At a later date, as we see how it pans out, we can rename it or move it or whatever...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-05, 21:05   #17
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22×97 Posts

Xyzzy,
I think he was just pulling your leg.

Excellent effort and once again I am stunned by how quickly you got this sorted. It was only yesterday that Alex suggested it and already there is a page up. Brilliant!
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-05, 21:36   #18
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

Fantastic job, Xyzzy! No 24 hours, and the page is up and running.

How should the Wiki be organised? Similar structure as the forum, i.e. sections for Software, Hardware, Maths, Projects?

One possibility:

Software could get info relating to the various programs, Prime95, prp, OpenPFGW, NewPGen, msieve, GMP-ECM, etc. with info what the programs do, where to get and how to use them, etc.

Maths: i.e. anything about the algorithms used, analysis of the algorithms such as LL, P+-1, ECM. FSI (frequently suggested improvements) and why they don't work, etc.

Projects: GIMPS, SoB, ElevenSmooth, Cunningham, oddperfect.org etc.etc.etc (there's lots of them). What they do, what the goal is, what software they use, ...

and the sections get with subsections/pages filled with info distilled from the forum (or other sources).

Throw in your ideas, everyone!

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-06, 08:00   #19
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22·97 Posts

I don’t think that the idea is to consciously organise it into sections, but to allow it to evolve of its own free will. Since the reader can only view one page at a time, does it matter whether there even is a math “section”, for example, as long there is a page for whatever the reader wants to know.
Someone might start a page on say, factoring. After they have explained what a factor is, why they are important or interesting and several ways of finding them, they might decide that one or more of these ways of finding them deserves a page of its own. So they just take the section out and make a page on say ECM. Link this to the factoring page, and vice versa and hey presto, your few notes on what a factor is have grown into a “factoring section”. Do it this way and you don’t have to write the whole wiki in one day, it just evolves.
All we need to make sure of is that two or more people don’t start pages with the same name, that we employ some simple page naming conventions (with regard to proper names and short words and numbers in names etc). and that we agree to collaborate, which means that if someone has written something that you think could be improved or is just wrong you don’t just go in and delete it, but work together on improving it. Wiki is not just about the information it contains, but how it got there, and watching it grow and evolve is almost like nurturing a small child, and can be equally as fulfilling if approached in the right way.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-06, 13:49   #20
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·5·373 Posts

I'm having trouble moving it to the new location... Rest assured this has my full attention at the moment...

Once I get all this new server stuff fixed, I promise not to touch anything!

Old 2005-09-06, 21:22   #21
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·5·373 Posts

http://www.mersennewiki.org/

It took me a long time to get the same TeX rendering engine we use on the forum here to work with the wiki...

I apologize for the outage earlier today... The new server ended up not working, and I didn't find out until it was dead in the water...

The good news is I was able to backup everything and move it all to a new server in a matter of hours...

The bad news is we are back at the old place, although I had to create a new account...

We never really had that much trouble with the old place but getting simple things done is hard because they don't give us much control...
Old 2005-09-07, 06:36   #22
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

Two things:

1) I hope the math things aren't going to be too advanced, I believe the wiki should be easily understandable even by people who aren't that good at English (e.g. "what means composite/smooth?")

2) Be careful, since the SoB wiki is suffering from spam. You may want to equip some loyal primers (me for example )with the ability to ban users...?
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote