Old 2017-03-06, 07:55   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100000101100102 Posts
Default Extension request

I would like to request an extension for M79417337
The value shown there (0.90% done) is from initial P95 dialog with the server, and it is wrong, the exponent was reserved for a Titan and it is done about 96%, but the Titan crashed (yes, the same freaking mosfet burned). I will see how I can move it to some other card and finish it in the following weeks (I think it was Cat4 when reserved?)
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-06, 17:07   #2
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

3·5·7·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I would like to request an extension for M79417337
The value shown there (0.90% done) is from initial P95 dialog with the server, and it is wrong, the exponent was reserved for a Titan and it is done about 96%, but the Titan crashed (yes, the same freaking mosfet burned). I will see how I can move it to some other card and finish it in the following weeks (I think it was Cat4 when reserved?)
It doesn't seem like it's in any danger of expiring anytime soon. You should be safe. If you see it starting to countdown to expiration and need something done, just holler:

https://www.mersenne.org/assignments/?exp_lo=79417337
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-06, 20:04   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

6,737 Posts

Does the manual extensions web page not work?

https://www.mersenne.org/manual_extension/
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 02:59   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100000101100102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Does the manual extensions web page not work?
never tried it! Also, didn't know about the page given by Madpoo, where the days to expiration are shown. I wend by the "90 days feeling", there were about 90 days since reservation. The reason for delay is the fact that I was out of the country for a while. In fact, I expected to see it expired when I returned home (the card crushed just before I left weeks ago). But because it was not, I started this thread.

Edit: Just tried it now, and the assignment is gone. What the hack is going on? It seems that my hunch with the 90 days was right...
Edit2: Anyhow I will finish the run when the hardware becomes available (maybe a week or so).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2017-03-07 at 03:10
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 15:35   #5
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23·3·72 Posts

Manual extention on a P-1 assignment worked for me, the expiration date was extented by 60 days.

Even if the exponent gets assigned in the meantime, you can still hand in the assignment and it should count as a (quick) Double-Check.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 17:10   #6
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

1100101101112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
never tried it! Also, didn't know about the page given by Madpoo, where the days to expiration are shown. I wend by the "90 days feeling", there were about 90 days since reservation. The reason for delay is the fact that I was out of the country for a while. In fact, I expected to see it expired when I returned home (the card crushed just before I left weeks ago). But because it was not, I started this thread.

Edit: Just tried it now, and the assignment is gone. What the hack is going on? It seems that my hunch with the 90 days was right...
Edit2: Anyhow I will finish the run when the hardware becomes available (maybe a week or so).
The days-to-expire on the assignment specific page is something I added in. It's entirely possible I missed some clause in the official expiration rules... it may be the one about work that hasn't even started yet (it has to have some progress in the first 90 days).

I'll look into that.
Old 2017-03-10, 22:06   #7
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

325510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
The days-to-expire on the assignment specific page is something I added in. It's entirely possible I missed some clause in the official expiration rules... it may be the one about work that hasn't even started yet (it has to have some progress in the first 90 days).

I'll look into that.
Hmmm, I checked it out and it should have been showing an expiration countdown for that assignment.

It was originally category 4, and if it's less than 90 days old and hasn't started yet, you have 90 - <age of assignment> days before expiration.

Once you even do a little bit of work (could be P-1 if it needs, or just the LL stage) then you're out of that and you have (in the case of first time cat 4) 360 days to complete. Or sooner, if that exponent moves midway into cat 1, but generally speaking I don't think cat 4 becomes mid-cat 1 in a one-year timeframe.

I'm not sure why it didn't show an expiration countdown though... had it started at all? I don't remember if it had. If it did and it still expired at 90 days, then my definition of "started" and George's may be slightly off. I'm just looking at whether it's started any stage of work yet even if the percent done is 0.0%.

I could look at the actual expiration job that runs nightly... I keep meaning to, but I thought I could work from the text on the assignment rule page and suss it out, but the devil is in the details... George may only consider it "started" if it moves past 0% done.
Old 2017-03-10, 22:27   #8
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

325510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Hmmm, I checked it out and it should have been showing an expiration countdown for that assignment.
Oh, there is one other expiration possibility that I don't know if I'd noticed before. It's kind of hidden in the top of the assignment rules page and I probably just skimmed over it:
Quote:
Since PrimeNet began, the server has recycled exponents where the client computer is 60 days past due in updating the server.
So even if you had started working on it, if that system hasn't checked in for 60 days it would expire. That's for both DC and first-time, all categories. What's not mentioned on the rules page is that it actually takes into consideration the client's self-reported "next update" time. It has to have also been over 10 days past when the client said it would check in next.

Unless you've really fiddled with the Prime95 settings, you're probably not going to have a regular client fall into that, but I suppose there could be people who set their client to only check in once every 2+ months?

Anyway, that edge case (non responsive client) could be why I didn't pick it up. I think I did have people tell me about that other expiration case, but it's hard to use that as a countdown value since other factors are involved.

Maybe if the other expiration rules are showing "null" for expires-in, it could consider this other scenario but only if there's like < 10 days left of that 60-day window?

For example, it wouldn't make sense to have it show "60 days to expire" for nearly every assignment that checks in daily... it would confuse people who think they have 360 days for their cat 4.
Old 2019-04-11, 12:08   #9
ssybesma

"Steve Sybesma"
May 2012
Brighton, CO USA

3·23 Posts

Hello Madpoo,

I have an Intel Compute Stick running Peppermint that's currently working on M90723221. It's had a few days of interrupted progress (I took it down for a while to do some other things with it), however I intend to leave it up uninterrupted 24 hours a day until it completes. It currently says 535 days to go, however that number is dropping much faster than the actual number of days going by and I expect it will drop much further. Right now the completed percentage is 2.27% for three days.

My question is why 60-day extensions keep getting reset back to the pre-extended number of days left to go. That feature doesn't seem to work at all unless there's something I don't know. Even my other two exponents have that happen to them when I try to extend.

Let me know if this is not an actual working feature or if I have to do something to one of the files to make the number of days to go stay put.

Thanks!

Steve

Last fiddled with by ssybesma on 2019-04-11 at 12:09
ssybesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 00:13   #10
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CB716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
Hello Madpoo,

I have an Intel Compute Stick running Peppermint that's currently working on M90723221. It's had a few days of interrupted progress (I took it down for a while to do some other things with it), however I intend to leave it up uninterrupted 24 hours a day until it completes. It currently says 535 days to go, however that number is dropping much faster than the actual number of days going by and I expect it will drop much further. Right now the completed percentage is 2.27% for three days.

My question is why 60-day extensions keep getting reset back to the pre-extended number of days left to go. That feature doesn't seem to work at all unless there's something I don't know. Even my other two exponents have that happen to them when I try to extend.

Let me know if this is not an actual working feature or if I have to do something to one of the files to make the number of days to go stay put.

Thanks!

Steve
Good questions... I haven't used the manual extension feature in quite some time (have I ever used it? not sure).

Something to note is that the estimated expiration that shows up on the website doesn't take into account the "manual extension" information that happens. I just looked and I see that assignment has been set to "manually extended" in the database. I need to see how the daily task that expires assignments takes that into account and adjust my code that estimates the expiration accordingly.

In short, I think you're okay.