mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2020-02-16, 03:34   #4654
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2·3·131 Posts
Default Colab sessions not getting work

My COLAB sessions are not getting new work.

The last number I factored was 102995749, and then the session exited. I tried creating a new notebook but it still did not fetch work. I had just changed to "Depth first".

I changed back to GPU72 Decides and it successfully fetched work again.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-16, 04:19   #4655
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·43·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I had just changed to "Depth first". I changed back to GPU72 Decides and it successfully fetched work again.
Stick a fork in me; I'm done!

Sorry... SPE... I was trying to retarget to 102M, but forgot to change the low value. DWIM!!!

This should be working again; thanks for attempting Depth. Heading to bed now; will confirm sanity in the morning (of my code, not me. I'm definitely certifiable...).
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-16, 14:09   #4656
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2·3·131 Posts

All is well...thanks for quick fix.

I like the way the results submission process for Colab works using the GPU72_TF computer name. This separates out the work on my PrimeNet CPU report so I can see how much is coming from Colab.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-18, 00:14   #4657
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

53628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
The automatic submission of completed work by Colab Instances is now (almost completely) working.
For those who's Primenet Username (not Display Name) I already knew, I've activated this.
I notice that the returned results are queued in GPU72 for a minute or so, which is fine, but the text shown below says:
Quote:
Copy and paste the above results lines (only those in the green cell) into the Primenet Manual Results page.
Or, better yet, please email us with your Primenet USERNAME (but NOT your PASSWORD), and the results will be submitted automatically.
Perhaps it would be better to show that only for users for whom automatic submission is not enabled, and for those for whom it is to display something like "the above result(s) will be sent to Primenet automatically within a minute or so".
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 17:50   #4658
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×43×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Perhaps it would be better to show that only for users for whom automatic submission is not enabled, and for those for whom it is to display something like "the above result(s) will be sent to Primenet automatically within a minute or so".
Thanks... I often forget about the humans...

So, it appears that Colab is definitely viable again! A massive thanks to Google for all the compute. I have to assume they understand, and are tolerant of, what we're up to.

Because of this, I have invested the time in getting the GPU_TF Notebook to also run CPU jobs in parallel. This is close to being ready for production -- will be running initially with some beta testers (beyond just me).

Although, to be honest, there's not a whole lotta power there. Only a single (hyperthreaded) core of a Xeon @ 2.30GHz. 12G of RAM, though, so good for (slowish) P-1'ing. And a pity to just let it sit there idle.

In preparation for taking this "live", I have enabled the GUI function for CPU Worktype selection at the Instance List and Edit pages. Note that by default every instance is set to "Let GPU72 Decide" -- I haven't actually figured out what makes sense yet. Perhaps some ECM'ing?

But, importantly, anyone who doesn't want a CPU job to be run in parallel, please choose the "Disabled" option. Then the CPU is left for whatever you might want to do with it.

Pointing out of SPE's appreciated. As are thoughts and suggestions.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 18:01   #4659
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1DB916 Posts

Quote:
Because of this, I have invested the time in getting the GPU_TF Notebook to also run CPU jobs in parallel. This is close to being ready for production -- will be running initially with some beta testers (beyond just me).
me me me pick me
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 19:58   #4660
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

2×3×467 Posts

Quote:
I have invested the time in getting the GPU_TF Notebook to also run CPU jobs in parallel.
Thanks for doing this, I was hoping you would.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote