Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×7×293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
There have been sightings reported in the SE US, in swamps, I think.
And if I am not mistaken some calls or such have been heard. Yes, in the SE USA swamplands/bayous.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 20:46   #90
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×3,301 Posts

I continue to hope that this OMG bird has managed to hide away somewhere. Habitat loss is their main enemy.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 23:37   #91
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

33·112 Posts

Quote:
I continue to hope that this OMG bird has managed to hide away somewhere. Habitat loss is their main enemy.
The credibility of some of the "sightings" or "hearings" reports is doubtful. I think one of the recordings, allegedly of the Ivory Bill's "double knock" drumming, turned out to be gunfire.

According to my dad's Birds of America, copyright 1938, the precipitous decline of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker was due to habitat loss. The book described it as a "creature of the deep woods." It was already thought likely extinct then, but the last confirmed US sighting was in 1944. I suppose it's possible there are a few holdouts.

It seems that there was another variety of Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Cuba. It was last seen in 1986.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-03, 14:05   #92
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

33·112 Posts

I finally decided to look up LiMu Emu. I guess I can stop wondering how anyone could get an emu to tolerate having a pair of sunglasses perched on its beak, let alone putting them there without being maimed...

Is that a real emu in Liberty Mutual commercials?
Question: Is the emu in that insurance commercial real or CGI?

Answer: The "LiMu Emu," featured in ads for Liberty Mutual Insurance, has been a big hit for the company, which has gotten requests for emu-themed merchandise and has plans for more emu commercials later this summer. As for how the emu appears in the ads, here's the word from Jenna Lebel, vice president, brand and integrated marketing for the company: "LiMu Emu is a mix of a real bird and CGI. Live emus were used during the initial shoot on set. The final images of the emu in the commercials are a blend of footage captured from the live emus and our digitally created emu. Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (Liberty Mutual's advertising agency of record) collaborated with The Mill LA, a creative technology and visual effects studio, to bring LiMu Emu to life. For the commercials, the team created a digital model based on the live emu, which was used to supplement the footage."
Old 2020-04-04, 15:54   #93
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

33·112 Posts

There's a bird in the area I haven't seen -- at least not a good enough look to tell, but I may have heard it. There's a Red-shouldered Hawk around -- I have reports from two people who saw it; one saw it with a snake in its beak. I may have heard it; I herd a hawk call the other say, and remember it not sounding like the Red-tail Hawk, which is quite common.

I also have reliable reports of the return of an individual bird I saw last year, a piebald robin.
Old 2020-04-07, 00:53   #94
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

33×112 Posts

I saw the piebald robin twice today, close enough to get a good look. The white feathers are mainly on its back and the top of its tail.
Old 2020-04-07, 19:25   #95
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×3,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I saw the piebald robin twice today, close enough to get a good look. The white feathers are mainly on its back and the top of its tail.
Here's one to go with your piebald robin: a gynandromorph cardinal. It is half male and half female, split down the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	half-male-female.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	21993  
Old 2020-04-08, 00:54   #96
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1100110000112 Posts

Quote:
Here's one to go with your piebald robin: a gynandromorph cardinal. It is half male and half female, split down the middle.
This Charles Addams cartoon comes to mind.
Old 2020-04-08, 14:47   #97
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
ROFL! Thanks!
Old 2020-04-09, 15:15   #98
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

33×112 Posts

I saw a Grosbeak the other day. Almost certainly Mrs. Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Apparently the first sighting locally this spring.
Old 2020-04-09, 16:18   #99
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100110101011112 Posts

[Glad to see the title restored.]
My Dad was a lifelong bird watcher. In his final year (90+) I was caring for him at his Houston area home. That spring, grosbeaks showed up at the feeder. He was transfixed. He had never seen them before and repeatedly said, "I can't take my eyes off them." Given his history I was stunned to hear this. It was a moment of joy for us both that he had such a treat in difficult times.