Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-10-15, 20:17   #12
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

16608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Forgive my obtuseness, but I can't understand why (1) this need for witness and "solving the case" has only arisen four years after the fact. Here in the USA there is a thing called a "statute of limitations." It is a time limit beyond which a case cannot be brought.

In criminal cases, it's three years for most felonies, less for misdemeanors. An accident causing injury (and/or leaving the scene of the accident) would probably fall under this limit.

In civil cases (lawsuits) for accidental injuries, it's also generally three years, unless the victim was a minor, in which case the clock doesn't start ticking until they're 18 or 21.

(2) It is not clear to me how you know you need to send emails to that many people, or how you think you know who to send them to.
In the USA you at least also has a very clear law when it comes to "obstruction of due and justice".

The witnesses has been needed for long time, but due to obstruction of justice from the lawyers of the insurance company insuring the bus company, there is this need to send these many mails. Every attempt first to get the accident recognized as a case at the insurance company took almost 2 years and since then the fight has been to get access to those being on the bus. All attempts to find witnesses in any easy way has been rejected by the court system on behalf of the insurance company and its lawyers.

It took the insurance company and the busdriver almost 2 years to file a report on the incident. The justice system in Denmark is more broken than in the USA and make no mistake, if the ****hole judges would just start asking questions to the right people in regards to what we have numerous of times attempted to aquire access to, such that we could find those people being on the bus that day at that time - this need for sending e-mails to almost 39,000 recipients wouldn't be nescessary.

At number 2, google is our friend. We therefor know the amount of e-mails to send out. Those on the mail list is those companies up to 0.7 miles from the busstop, going back 3 stops - those e-mails found to be connected to those companies are those who are going to recieve an e-mail pleading for their help, such that this case can stand a chance to be ruled objectively and just. So far injustice has been the only thing showing its grimm face.

Take care.
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 20:19   #13
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
blat is easy to use in a script such as a batch file.
Handy for emailed notifications such as your GIMPS gpu application has run out of work or terminated for some other reason.
Anything you can refer to with a link?
Old 2020-10-15, 20:29   #14
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

213548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Anything you can refer to with a link?
blat . net
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 21:47   #15
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·3·11·59 Posts

Quote:
...but due to obstruction of justice from the lawyers of the insurance company insuring the bus company, there is this need to send these many mails. Every attempt first to get the accident recognized as a case at the insurance company took almost 2 years and since then the fight has been to get access to those being on the bus. All attempts to find witnesses in any easy way has been rejected by the court system on behalf of the insurance company and its lawyers.
Ah, an insurance company trying to weasel out of paying a claim. I've heard of some bad cases here in the USA, but this one sounds it's got them all beat. The cases I've heard of have involved some creative interpretation of policy clauses, or of the notion of "contributory negligence" to disallow a claim. (I heard of a claim involving a street tree owned by the municipality, and known to be hazardous, falling. The claim to pay for replacing the gutters it tore off a house on its way down was accepted, but the claim for the car that got mashed was denied, because the car was parked facing the wrong way.) Obstructing the legal process, though -- that's a new one on me.

Quote:
It took the insurance company and the busdriver almost 2 years to file a report on the incident. The justice system in Denmark is more broken than in the USA and make no mistake, if the ****hole judges would just start asking questions to the right people in regards to what we have numerous of times attempted to aquire access to
Don't worry about "more broken." The Powers that Be here in the US are (IMO) working feverishly to remedy the situation.

Here in the US, if there's a motor vehicle accident, it has to be reported promptly. In a municipality, it would normally be reported to the police. If the accident was due to a traffic violation, the responsible party would be issued a ticket. A few years ago, I was a passenger in a car that got hit by another driver who was running a red light. The insurance company wouldn't agree to pay the claim until the police report came through and showed the other driver was completely at fault.

I infer from your situation that the bus driver wasn't ticketed in the accident. Or maybe the accident was an other-than-traffic accident. If there was an ambulance or other emergency response, that might help.

This may be old-fashioned, and perhaps your situation does not allow it, but sometimes calls for witnesses are made through fliers, posters, or ads in publications. And, nowadays, through social media.

Good luck.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 07:04   #16
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
blat . net
Thanks, it sure also seems interesting. A few things to read up upon, in regards to syntax and serversettings.
Old 2020-10-16, 07:10   #17
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

7×292 Posts
Default Spammers are not welcomed

Sending 40000 unsolicited emails to people should automatically alert you to a problem. It doesn't matter how well intentioned either.

Any "good" email service won't allow it. They can get themselves blocked. Any "bad" email service will allow it and are probably already blocked in nearly all places. So either way your message effectiveness will be very poor.

Instead, put advertisements somewhere appropriate.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 07:15   #18
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Ah, an insurance company trying to weasel out of paying a claim. I've heard of some bad cases here in the USA, but this one sounds it's got them all beat. The cases I've heard of have involved some creative interpretation of policy clauses, or of the notion of "contributory negligence" to disallow a claim. (I heard of a claim involving a street tree owned by the municipality, and known to be hazardous, falling. The claim to pay for replacing the gutters it tore off a house on its way down was accepted, but the claim for the car that got mashed was denied, because the car was parked facing the wrong way.) Obstructing the legal process, though -- that's a new one on me.

Don't worry about "more broken." The Powers that Be here in the US are (IMO) working feverishly to remedy the situation.

Here in the US, if there's a motor vehicle accident, it has to be reported promptly. In a municipality, it would normally be reported to the police. If the accident was due to a traffic violation, the responsible party would be issued a ticket. A few years ago, I was a passenger in a car that got hit by another driver who was running a red light. The insurance company wouldn't agree to pay the claim until the police report came through and showed the other driver was completely at fault.

I infer from your situation that the bus driver wasn't ticketed in the accident. Or maybe the accident was an other-than-traffic accident. If there was an ambulance or other emergency response, that might help.

This may be old-fashioned, and perhaps your situation does not allow it, but sometimes calls for witnesses are made through fliers, posters, or ads in publications. And, nowadays, through social media.

Good luck.
Thanks. I sure also hope for luck. Unfortunantly there were no police or ambulance personel involved in the aftermath of my sisters accident. The only thing we are stuck with is a driver who neglegted his duty to file a report (and now no longer seems to be sure what actually happened) and the insurance company and its lawyers.

We are going to do a second campaign on social medias again, in groups especially directed at finding witnesses and lost persons. We are also in this weekend going to put up fliers on the entire busroute. Posters and ads have we not yet came to think about, but I sure like the idea

One of the main problems with the danish court system is that it still bases its rulings on the fact of the past, that we have a wellfare community that will ensure the life of those being victim of crime or accidents or getting sick. That was mostly true 15-20 years ago - no more unfortunantly. It is clear to me, with your reply, that we are up against some very cruel enemies, enemies that uses methods not even seen in the USA. In most cases the danish courtsystem may in fact be better than in the USA, but not in this type of cases and unfortunantly compensation for victims found to be legit for compensation are also very lacking, compared to those cases heard of from the USA.

Thanks for your feedback. May you have a very nice day and stay safe and healthy
Old 2020-10-16, 16:16   #19
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

32·181 Posts

Quote:
Those on the mail list is those companies up to 0.7 miles from the busstop, going back 3 stops - those e-mails found to be connected to those companies are those who are going to recieve an e-mail pleading for their help, such that this case can stand a chance to be ruled objectively and just.
Why not contact the companies and ask them to relay your plight ?
Quote:
compensation for victims found to be legit for compensation are also very lacking, compared to those cases heard of from the USA.
There must be a middle way between the preposterous compensations sometimes decided in the USA with their "no cure - no pay" layers present at each possible cause for compensation and something that could even be seen as collusion to avoid any compensation as shown in your case.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-17, 08:00   #20
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Why not contact the companies and ask them to relay your plight ?
There must be a middle way between the preposterous compensations sometimes decided in the USA with their "no cure - no pay" layers present at each possible cause for compensation and something that could even be seen as collusion to avoid any compensation as shown in your case.

Jacob
We are contacting the companies directly and asking them to relay our mail. We have to send to almost 40,000 individual companies. We seem to try to use hotmail, even though there is a limit how many new accounts one may open up each day, we can actually by tomorrow have up to 32 accounts wich should all be able to send at least 600 and hopefully up to 1000 e-mails from each e-mail... it is not the most optimal but it sure will work and give us the possibility of actually knowing wether something went wrong or everything was send.

Sure, a place in between what we have in Denmark and what they have in the USA would make sense. In the USA you can be superrich for something that most danes would not even consider eligible for compensation/insurance claim - however in Denmark, when you have serious accidents that disable you and cribles your ability to work and have full income, the compensation does not match your loss and to some extent you as victim are sentenced to powerty.

As I say, if we could just have the best of Denmark and the best of USA all over the entire world, heaven would in fact be a place on Earth

Thanks for your input and have a nice day