"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

24×5×83 Posts

You don't ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slandrum View Post
... need a low tire pressure sensor.
All those sensor and monitoring things are mostly useless IMO. Let them crap out and forget about them.

When you see the tire is not the expected shape then top it up. No need to complicate everything with electronics that mislead you with false negatives and false positives.

The same for all the "fitness" things people wear.

Also, did you know that you can be tracked by the serial numbers in the wireless sensor transmitters?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 04:16   #13
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

554610 Posts

Tire pressure sensors have dramatically reduced crashes due to tire blowout. The average (USA) driver simply doesn't check tire pressures, like ever; and a slow leak becomes an overheating tire becomes a freeway blowout.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 07:23   #14
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

709910 Posts

Most hybrids have low-tire-pressure indicators. The fuel economy display. It takes a lot of energy to heat a tire to failure. That costs more fuel per km | mile | furlong | picoparsec.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 13:14   #15
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×1,523 Posts

Two other things it might also be worth checking are oil and coolant levels.

Back to tires, though - a lot of new car models are being sold with no spare tire! It seems that eliminating the extra weight increases gas mileage slightly. And, of course, if you get a flat tire and don't have a spare, your fuel consumption decreases dramatically!

Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 13:40   #16
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

31×229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
if you get a flat tire and don't have a spare, your fuel consumption decreases dramatically!

Well, eventually. But metabolic rate may increase. Or perhaps cease.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 13:59   #17
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

264648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Two other things it might also be worth checking are oil and coolant levels.

Back to tires, though - a lot of new car models are being sold with no spare tire! It seems that eliminating the extra weight increases gas mileage slightly. And, of course, if you get a flat tire and don't have a spare, your fuel consumption decreases dramatically!

The ones without a spare generally have a canister which will fill the t{i,y}re with a quick-setting foam. The result generally has enough range to get you to somewhere for a proper fix.

My current car is of this type.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 14:47   #18
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

1111000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The ones without a spare generally have a canister which will fill the t{i,y}re with a quick-setting foam. The result generally has enough range to get you to somewhere for a proper fix.

My current car is of this type.
Not any that I've seen in the US. They just now expect you to call and get it towed.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 14:53   #19
frmky

Jul 2003
So Cal

52×101 Posts

My spare-less car in the US did not come with any tire repair equipment, but I now have a plug kit, compressor, and foam canister in the {trunk,boot}.
frmky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 14:57   #20
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

19F016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slandrum View Post
Not any that I've seen in the US. They just now expect you to call and get it towed.
Then make sure you never leave the phone coverage area for the more fun places.

Is that just another way to keep the sheeple under control? We wouldn't want them going to places where we can't monitor their activities.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 16:11   #21
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

2·5,399 Posts

The new Mini's come with "run flat's". They are good for about 80 kph and about 80 km.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 16:15   #22
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2·47·59 Posts

Lots of the cars without spares use run-flat tires, where you can drive many (like 30-50) miles at < 50mph to get to a tire-repair place. Most every BMW have these run-flats, which work primarily by having a sidewall so stiff that it remains mostly round when punctured. The downside is reduced ride quality, as the tire is so stiff it doesn't absorb small impacts well.

The fix-a-flat kits leave gunk all over the inside of the wheel; this gunk makes future tire balancing difficult, so it should be cleaned when the offending tire is replaced.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote