mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2014-04-28, 19:21   #1
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

110101111112 Posts
Default Of PSU's and GPU's

I don't know how much people around here know about Power Supplies. Perhaps I will be surprised.

Whenever I am actually using my PC for relatively easy display tasks, I switch the instance of mfaktc on my display GPU to medium. This works great for internet videos, movies, and the lighter end of video games.

What I've noticed is that switching from fast to medium does reduce the throughput (from 1700 M/s to 1600 M/s, roughly, in my case). There is a further reduction when I actually start playing a video or something, which makes sense.

However, if I am not using the freed up GPU power for anything (i.e. I am idling on the desktop while mfaktc Medium is running), then my power supply fan goes ballistic. For example, if I play a round of League of Legends with mfaktc on Medium, everything is fine until the round ends and the PSU starts to rev up again. Once I get into another game, the fan quiets down.

Corsair makes a big deal out of their power supplies' fans running at different speeds depending on the load, but I'm sure that's nothing new. Either way, I'm a bit confused as to why the PSU fan revs up so high it's louder than the ten other fans combined.

It only does this when the GPU load isn't maxed out. This either confuses the PSU into believing it is drawing a LOT more power than it actually is, or the PSU is actually getting a lot hotter, but I've checked and found no indication of this.

It's an easy enough issue to just avoid, but it's got me curious. As far as I know, it has always behaved this way. I just never made the link until greed pushed me to running Medium as much as I could instead of turning it off completely.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 19:28   #2
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

17×127 Posts

Mfaktc probably uses more power than most games. It may be because when the game round "ends" it stops using the GPU and mfaktc kicks in more. (imo)

EDIT: Or just get a Kill-A-Watt

Last fiddled with by kracker on 2014-04-28 at 19:32
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 20:40   #3
TheJudger

"Oliver"
Mar 2005
Germany

33·41 Posts

Depends on your GPU, mfaktc is "close to a power virus" on GF100/GF110 (e.g. GTX 470/480/570/580/590) but on newer GPUs (e.g. Kepler based GPUs) it is far, far away from being a power virus.
I have access to some Tesla which support power monitoring:
GF100/GF110 based: power consumption close to TDP while running mfaktc
GK110 based: power consumption ~50% of TDP while running mfaktc
OK, consumer cards based on Kepler have a boost clock thus it will be more than 50% but I *guess* running mfaktc is well below typically games in terms of power consumption on Kepler cards.

Oliver
TheJudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 21:18   #4
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

172710 Posts

I would have to imagine mfaktc uses more power in fast mode than in slow, right?

I've set my power limit to 140% on that particular card. Furmark maxes it out but mfaktc gets to about 70% under the overvolt and overclock.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 22:01   #5
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
I would have to imagine mfaktc uses more power in fast mode than in slow, right?
Sure. However, it's entirely possible that game+mfaktc uses less power than just mfaktc. Maybe the fan slows down when you start playing the game, but you notice when it speeds back up when you stop?
To imagine some numbers for the power your GPU is drawing (with the PSU spinning its fan to account for the power requirements):
Playing LoL + mfaktc medium = 70 W
mfaktc medium = 95 W
mfaktc high = 100 W
Mini-Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 22:38   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100011101001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
EDIT: Or just get a Kill-A-Watt
And/or a good amp meter, which can read the current quite accurately "out-of-circuit". Or even just a UPS with a USB data-tap.

Seriously... Empirical measurements go a LONG way in figuring out "that's strange" situations....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 22:21   #7
pdazzl

Apr 2014

1678 Posts

My cheap 700w (and about four years old) actually exploded on me, sparks and all (was running mfakct on one gpu and started spinning up a second gpu). Everything survived fortunately, got a Corsair AX860 and handles the load great, been using it 2 months now. It's quiet but then spins up the fans when the load gets heavier. The modular sleeved cables on it are nice too.

Last fiddled with by pdazzl on 2014-05-09 at 22:53
pdazzl is offline   Reply With Quote