mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2018-03-12, 14:02   #1
ckdo

Dec 2007
Cleves, Germany

2·5·53 Posts
Default Upgrading a cat. 0 box

I have parts in the mail to upgrade one of my PrimeNet boxes. In PrimeNet's eyes, I will be retiring a box and introducing a new one.

While I have done so numerous times before, this will be the first time under the "new assignment rules", so I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry.

At the time of the upgrade, the box will be processing four cat-0 DCs with up to four more assigned, but unstarted thus far.

Questions:

- Will the "new" box be able to finish the "old" boxes' assignments (started and/or unstarted)?

- Should I start the unstarted assignments while they are still on the "old" box in order to prevent auto-de-reservation while the "new" boxes' speed hasn't settled?

- Is it necessary (or recommended) to get the new box established with PrimeNet (i.e. achieve "trusted client version" status) before copying the assignments over?

- Is there any other trickery necessary/recommended? (I do not want to take the FixedHardwareUID route this time.)

I am aware that the "new" box will probably no longer receive cat-0 / cat-1 assignments for a while. That's fine with me. My concern is solely with losing work and/or assignments...

P.S.: I have a second cat-0 box running that could finish the assignments, but that one would get close to the deadline. I'd really prefer to finish the assignments on my "new" box.
ckdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-12, 14:14   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×3×1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdo View Post
- Will the "new" box be able to finish the "old" boxes' assignments (started and/or unstarted)?
Yes.

Quote:
- Should I start the unstarted assignments while they are still on the "old" box in order to prevent auto-de-reservation while the "new" boxes' speed hasn't settled?
Not necessary.

Quote:
- Is it necessary (or recommended) to get the new box established with PrimeNet (i.e. achieve "trusted client version" status) before copying the assignments over?
No, just copy the directory and optionally change the computer name.

Quote:
- Is there any other trickery necessary/recommended? (I do not want to take the FixedHardwareUID route this time.)
You might be able to merge CPUs and preserve your cat 0 status. I've never tried that as I like to keep the CPUs separate for historical reasons.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-12, 14:48   #3
ckdo

Dec 2007
Cleves, Germany

2·5·53 Posts

Gee, quick service today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
just copy the directory and optionally change the computer name.
Since I'm going from four cores to six and from 16GB to 32GB, there's going to be some messing with the config files here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I like to keep the CPUs separate for historical reasons.
So do I. Like I said, not a problem losing cat-0 status for a while.

Thanks, George!
ckdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-12, 15:24   #4
axn

Jun 2003

23×3×199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdo View Post
not a problem losing cat-0 status for a while.
You will be able to gain your cat 0 status (assuming you lose it) faster if you run multithreaded.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote