mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Analysis & Analytic Number Theory

Old 2017-05-22, 15:11   #1
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

38410 Posts
Default Differentiation/integration in Real Analysis I course

I came across this article about a student who realized he was unable to graduate university days before the ceremony due to an inability to transfer a Real Analysis I course from another university, as his own school did not offer it in the spring. The dispute came as the course allegedly did not cover differentiation and integration, which were required for it to be credited towards his degree.

I'm curious if it is common for the first semester analysis courses not to cover differentiation and integration. This seems a bit odd to me, but I'm sure some others on this forum have more extensive experience.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...151174747.html
clowns789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 15:52   #2
thyw

Feb 2016
! North_America

2·37 Posts

Disclaimer: I have no idea of the US university system, rules, fields...
Afaik (in my country) there could be subjects not held in the spring or the autumn semester, not a problem. And sometimes you fail for the first or even the second time. So the graduation is delayed soo much. Especially if you have subjects with conditions like "finish Analysis I".
Quote:
UNT informed Brown that teaching those concepts “would not be a problem,” according to the lawsuit, but by the end of the semester, they hadn’t been covered.
Brown also named UNT in the lawsuit, which seeks to have the class accepted.
It's clearly UNT's fault and his as he didn't it realize earlier.
I don't know about tcu or unt specialization, since they promote sport but doesn't seem to be a subject centered university (e.g. IT or medical) one can assume that math is not that high pripority or standard. (e.g. in art university math won't be taught at high levels since they not need it that mauch in contrast to engineering unitversity)

Last fiddled with by thyw on 2017-05-22 at 15:59
thyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 18:39   #3
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100000111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowns789 View Post
I came across this article about a student who realized he was unable to graduate university days before the ceremony due to an inability to transfer a Real Analysis I course from another university, as his own school did not offer it in the spring. The dispute came as the course allegedly did not cover differentiation and integration, which were required for it to be credited towards his degree.

I'm curious if it is common for the first semester analysis courses not to cover differentiation and integration. This seems a bit odd to me, but I'm sure some others on this forum have more extensive experience.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...151174747.html
Definitely a very strange situation.

I did have an analysis course which, I think but might be recalling incorrectly, failed to cover it in the first semester, instead focusing on things like sequences, limits, and continuity, with such diversions as the central limit theorem and other ancillary stuff. I think differentiation and integration was covered in the second semester of the year long course.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 22:47   #4
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

5×13×23 Posts

I'm not commenting on the specific court case, of course, but the syllabus at UNT for their Real Analysis I course is a little unusual:
http://www.math.unt.edu/~allaart/Syllabi/syll3000.pdf
https://facultyinfo.unt.edu/mirror/md0230/schteach/3000-002_Syllabus_Spring_2017-1.pdf

One of the lecturers even writes:
Quote:
A better title for this course might be “how to think like a mathematician.”
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-23, 18:48   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5,743 Posts

I studied differentiation as part of my first real analysis module in the UK.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote