Old 2012-06-27, 13:54   #1
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

587910 Posts
Default Please respect my options and choices about email notifications

I received an email ostensibly from a member here via this forum software (something about asking for my postal address). But I have turned off all options in the "messaging and notification" page and thus have chosen not to receive email from anyone for any reason. This was my choice to have done this. And thus if I miss out some free stuff then so be it, but please respect my choice not to be emailed.

I would have attached an image to show my options settings of all choices disabled but now it seems the forum software has been "upgraded" and requires JS running to attach a simple image. Attachments are stone-age technology and should not need any JS. [/rant]
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 19:34   #2
Mathew

Nov 2009

2×173 Posts

retina,

Here is your post from the last time a mod tried to contact you through PM/email. I would imagine nothing has changed from this snapshot.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 21:36   #3
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10111011100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I received an email ostensibly from a member here via this forum software (something about asking for my postal address). But I have turned off all options in the "messaging and notification" page and thus have chosen not to receive email from anyone for any reason. This was my choice to have done this. And thus if I miss out some free stuff then so be it, but please respect my choice not to be emailed.

I would have attached an image to show my options settings of all choices disabled but now it seems the forum software has been "upgraded" and requires JS running to attach a simple image. Attachments are stone-age technology and should not need any JS. [/rant]
I presume that moderators are not restricted by user settings WRT PMs.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 21:50   #4
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I presume that moderators are not restricted by user settings WRT PMs.
Nope, if you follow Matthew's link or look in the CP, you can see that there's a separate option to enable PMs from moderators (and contacts) only. Not only is that disabled, but his entire PM system is disabled. Emails (even from administrators) is also disabled.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 22:44   #5
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

600310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Nope, if you follow Matthew's link or look in the CP, you can see that there's a separate option to enable PMs from moderators (and contacts) only. Not only is that disabled, but his entire PM system is disabled. Emails (even from administrators) is also disabled.
Just because the option is there doesn't mean that someone with "god" authority can't PM them. There are legitimate reasons for moderators to want to contact someone via PM, although I suspect that retina doesn't qualify for any of them.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 22:57   #6
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

27×61 Posts

Long story short:

We made the mistake of dumping the user list, with email addresses, and didn't consider that some people might have the "do not contact" flag set.

This is all related to "Strange Private Messages?", AKA Operation Jerboa, which is obviously the product of a deliberately byzantine bureaucracy.

So, the buck stops with us, no matter who sent the email, and for that we apologize.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 23:47   #7
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We made the mistake of dumping the user list, with email addresses, and didn't consider that some people might have the "do not contact" flag set.
So that would explain why the email started with "Dear valued Mersenneforum.org member" rather than "Dear retina".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
... we apologize.
You are so very humble. Thank you.

Now it is time for my apology. One of my minions had been messing about with my trouser browser settings and had managed to turn off all <noscript> elements. So now with the settings corrected the attachment thingy is working again. So for the unnecessary rant about JS above I apologise.
Old 2012-06-27, 23:51   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
Here is your post from the last time a mod tried to contact you through PM/email. I would imagine nothing has changed from this snapshot.
Thanks for finding that. I had forgotten I'd put it there. Yes, the settings are the same. But now it seems moot since we learned that the DB had been dumped so such settings had no effect.
Old 2012-06-28, 00:46   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×4,441 Posts

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 02:03   #10
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
That is quoting Paul fairly accurately.
Personally I wouldn't trust a gerbil (or two) as far as I can spit.

D
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote