Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > ElevenSmooth

Old 2003-11-12, 20:42   #1
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

44448 Posts
Default Icons, including favicons, for ElevenSmooth

I think I've got favicons working on the ElevenSmooth site. Favicons are the small icons that show up on the location bar, the tabs (for Netscape/Mozilla) and the bookmark files. If it doesn't show for you, you may need to flush the cache of temporary internet files - refreshing a page usually doesn't refresh the favicon.

I've also got a set of larger icons that can be associated with shortcuts on your desktop and menu. To get the icon file, save this link as "ElevenSmooth.ico" , probably in the same directory as the ecmclient program. (Don't worry if your browser displays garbage - save it anyway). If you don't yet have a shortcut for the ecmclient program, select ecmclient.exe, right click and select "Send to Desktop". Then select the shortcut icon on the desktop and right click for "properties", then click on "Change Icon" and browse to the previously saved ElevenSmooth.ico

Let me know if you have trouble getting this to work. I'm going to experiment with including the icons and a shortcut in the zip file.
Old 2003-11-13, 01:54   #2
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

44448 Posts
Default EcmClient.exe with Icons

Even cooler the freeware program Resource Hacker allowed me to add the ElevenSmooth icon directly to ecmclient.exe. You, too, can download this ElevenSmooth iconized version of ecmclient.exe. Now the ElevenSmooth icon shows up in Windows Explorer (including "My Computer" and "My Network") with the listing for ecmclient.exe, and it shows up with any shortcut made directly from this, and it shows up on the status bar when I run the program.

Do you think I should put this version in our standard download package? One argument against this is that ecmclient is a generic program useable with any ecm server, not just ElevenSmooth. I'm leaning towards doing it, but adding a section in the FAQ about where to get a version without icons and how to change the icon to one of your choosing. What do you think?
Old 2003-11-13, 02:20   #3
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22×32×5×13 Posts

While we are discussing possible customizations and their appropriateness, we could also rename ecmclient - it works fine as long as the configuration file has the same name as the executable. We can probably rename ecm.exe, although I haven't tried it. I'm not presently inclined towards those changes. Comments?
Old 2003-11-13, 12:11   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3·43·79 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by wblipp
While we are discussing possible customizations and their appropriateness, we could also rename ecmclient - it works fine as long as the configuration file has the same name as the executable. We can probably rename ecm.exe, although I haven't tried it. I'm not presently inclined towards those changes. Comments?
I would strongly recommend that you ask for and receive permission from the copyright owner (Tim Charron) before making modifications of this nature. My guess is that he would welcome bug fixes but that changing the name and/or appearance may be less popular. That's only my guess and only Tim can give the definitive answer.

Paul