Old 2020-10-23, 23:36   #452
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1BF616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTutors View Post
I noticed this isn't listed in the bugs list yet. It's not obvious from the picture, but the letters in 30.3 are actually smaller than is legible. Is there any plans to fix this?
I wouldn't know how.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 23:56   #453
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

1001000011102 Posts

I'm guessing this isn't intentional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
On some Windows 10 machines, Prime95 now shows a different font in the windows after I upgraded to the latest version. Is this to be expected?
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 00:35   #454
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

3×563 Posts

Quote:
I noticed this isn't listed in the bugs list yet. It's not obvious from the picture, but the letters in 30.3 are actually smaller than is legible. Is there any plans to fix this?
i noticed this when I was updated to Windows 10 v2004. I set the default screen magnification to 125%. Doing so made the text larger. I have two older Windows 7 machines with lower resolution monitors. 30.3 looks alright on them. Just because you can run a really high resolution does not mean you must. Lower it until things are easy to read.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 01:32   #455
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

3·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I wouldn't know how.
I wouldn't either, but I was running 29.8v6 until a few days ago and the text size on that one was fine, with no changes to the computer in between the upgrade. Was there something you changed between that session and this one? Some size measurement difference? em/rem/px?
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 01:57   #456
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×7×11×29 Posts

Quote:
Kinda offtopic, some years ago we developed a PC interface for a product we designed for a Belgian customer and somewhere in the middle of the developing cycle (which took over one year, and had a lot of loops and ping-pongs) turned out he had a 4k laptop, and the app screen, which was about 1000x600 in size (to be displayable on 768 lines of most laptop's screens which were 1366x768 at the time, without overlapping the windoze taskbar, and was still looking more than reasonable on 1920x1080 monitors we use at work), was extremely small and unreadable on his monitor. The biggest letters looked like small fleas, and the smallest looked like pixels

The application was in Java (not our choice!), it wasn't designed to be scaled, the window was fixed-size, with lots of icons (bitmap style), and it turned out that scalable fonts are out of question in Java, being "close to impossible" to implement. Java doesn't offer a full TTF handling, as true-type fonts are somehow "unsecure" due to pointers and executable code involved to handle the drawing process. Which we didn't know at the time. (you can google "scalable fonts in Java").

We ended up adding a new config parameter that offered 3 possible resolutions, "small", "medium" and "large" to accommodate all monitors, and of course, we had to re-map all fonts and re-design (re-paint) all the icons and bitmaps not once, but twice, for the two new resolutions. Which was a pain in the butt, and it took another half year.

So, sometimes simple tasks are not so simple..

But maybe that would be a solution for P95 interface too, to avoid a scalable interface.

OTOH, in msvc, implementing scalable fonts is not so difficult... Charles Petzold has a couple of examples in his bible book.

Edit: I may put my nose into it in the future, I intended to do it in the past, as the issue with windows arrangement still bothers me... but the RL(TM) stuff didn't allow me, yet...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-10-24 at 04:05
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 03:35   #457
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

3×167 Posts

Not quoting LaurV for size but based on his post, if this is not a problem for all upgrades to 30.3 on 4k computers, a solution as easy as a menu option like "double the font size" can do it. I would bet there is a minor change in there somewhere that is causing the weird font difference. I have a lot of programs that have random things the wrong size, but not everything. Sometimes it's menu options, sometimes it's icons, sometimes text. Makes me suspect that sizes are defined differently in different situations within the program.
Old 2020-10-24, 07:44   #458
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11011111101102 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't either, but I was running 29.8v6 until a few days ago and the text size on that one was fine, with no changes to the computer in between the upgrade. Was there something you changed between that session and this one? Some size measurement difference? em/rem/px?
The source code did not change. 29.6 was built with MSVC 2005. 30.3 was built with Visual Studio 2019.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 17:34   #459
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

3·563 Posts

When I got up this morning, I found that my Xeon system had rebooted itself. I was running Prime95 v30.3 using four workers on large stage-one ECM's. Having some I/T experience, I went to the event logs. One item in the system log was listed as "Critical Error." The associated message said "the previous restart was unexpected." There was nothing in the application log. Also, nothing in Prime95's log with debug set to one.

So, I am trying to recreate this with 30.3, same configuration, and four workers, but not on the same machine. This one is an i5. Both machines run Windows 7 Pro x64, SP1 and have the same amount of RAM. If the i5 reboots itself, then I would lean towards it being a software problem. If it does not, then I would suspect a hardware problem.

In the interim, I restarted Prime95 on the Xeon with only two workers. I am trying to keep GMP-ECM fed which is also running on the Xeon, but was not running when the restart happened. So far, so good. All I can do now is wait and see what happens, or does not happen.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-26, 02:06   #460
ckdo

Dec 2007
Cleves, Germany

2·5·53 Posts

I upgraded Prime95 from 29.3 to 30.3b6 on a machine I do not regularly monitor on October 7th.

Ever since, whenever I took a look at the machine I found Prime95 was no longer running, leaving behind a bunch of ".write" files, indicating a crash when writing its state to disk. 29.3 always ran fine on that machine.

By pure chance I witnessed one of those "crashes" today.

It turns out that Bitdefender Total Security (which also received an update recently) is actually killing Prime95 because the latter is "encrypting my files", namely all the ".txt" files it happens to use.

A message along these lines is displayed on screen, but will close automatically after a while, leaving you puzzled unless you look into Bitdefender's event log.

I added Prime95 to Bitdefender's ransomware detection exception list. Prepare for the same to happen to more users...

While I'm here, I found the following in "prime.log":

Code:
[Wed Oct  7 18:38:50 2020 - ver 30.3]
CURL library error: Failed to connect to v5.mersenne.org port 80: Bad access
[Wed Oct 14 15:10:25 2020 - ver 30.3]
CURL library error: Failed to connect to www.mersenne.org port 80: Bad access
That's also new with 30.3. There's only these two instances so far.
ckdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-26, 03:06   #461
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

3·167 Posts

Quote:
The source code did not change. 29.6 was built with MSVC 2005. 30.3 was built with Visual Studio 2019.
Is the following link (about DPIUNAWARE) the solution? If you would like to try it on my computer I don't mind testing it out.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...s?view=vs-2019
Old 2020-10-26, 11:45   #462
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

24·23 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't know how.
GetScaleFactorForMonitor and increase the font size accordingly?
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote