Old 2020-10-24, 02:30   #23
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·23·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Statue of Liberty was my first idea when I looked at that part of the pin.
Same here. Especially that the image on ebay linked in the first post is ten times more clear and it can be enlarged if you hover the mouse on it or zoom.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 03:20   #24
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

7×857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I just can't decipher it. What for you? It is apparently from the Thule-Gesellschaft.
I don't agree with that. The Thule Society is tied to the Nazis and the other items on the pin are contrary to what the Nazis believed in. Also the center image doesn't look close enough to their symbol. Considering the detail in the other items on the pin, I have to believe that the center item is a fairly accurate representation of something.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 03:46   #25
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

26×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I don't agree with that. The Thule Society is tied to the Nazis and the other items on the pin are contrary to what the Nazis believed in. Also the center image doesn't look close enough to their symbol. Considering the detail in the other items on the pin, I have to believe that the center item is a fairly accurate representation of something.
You know Monrovia (Czech Republic), was occupied in World War II, so who knows.The Thule Society, founded in August 1918, existed before the Nazis and was a political secret society that probably emerged from Freemasonry, which you can see in the symbolism..Another symbol that I recognize is contained in the logo of the Aum Shinrikyo sect, followers of the Aleph (Japanese) cult.
I don't really care either
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp_aunshinrikyo_logo_flag.gif
Views:	48
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	23610  
moebius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 04:13   #26
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

7008 Posts

As you said a Jarowik, protective symbol of the harvest and the cattle.Swastika as a protective symbol for set and order. Suasti the symbol of movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sakrale-symbole.png
Views:	50
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	23614  

Last fiddled with by moebius on 2020-10-24 at 04:18
moebius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-25, 17:15   #27
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

52×151 Posts

The ebay item is indeed very similar in design to your pin. That item is (claimed to be) silver

I'm not sure what the "Mystery pin" is made of. It looks like it might be plated base metal, which would indicate mass production. But that might just be a trick of the light.

The style of the two pins appears to be almost identical. The central object is different (a lyre v. a yarovik), but the surrounding things are the same -- lamp, lightning bolt, balance scales, R on shield, Lady Liberty. The shape of the pin also looks pretty similar. So the basic style may once have been common for award pins. Perhaps the center was variable to allow for different kinds of awards. The ebay item has a lyre in the middle, and was a music-related award.

I'm not sure why the center of your pin is (or appears to be) a yarovik. Its signifying the protection of the harvest indicates a possible connection to agriculture or farming. Anyone in the family ever go to ag school? Or, perhaps, belong to 4-H, FFA, or some such organization?
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-02, 19:06   #28
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

7×857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The ebay item is indeed very similar in design to your pin. That item is (claimed to be) silver

I'm not sure what the "Mystery pin" is made of. It looks like it might be plated base metal, which would indicate mass production. But that might just be a trick of the light.

The style of the two pins appears to be almost identical. The central object is different (a lyre v. a yarovik), but the surrounding things are the same -- lamp, lightning bolt, balance scales, R on shield, Lady Liberty. The shape of the pin also looks pretty similar. So the basic style may once have been common for award pins. Perhaps the center was variable to allow for different kinds of awards. The ebay item has a lyre in the middle, and was a music-related award.

I'm not sure why the center of your pin is (or appears to be) a yarovik. Its signifying the protection of the harvest indicates a possible connection to agriculture or farming. Anyone in the family ever go to ag school? Or, perhaps, belong to 4-H, FFA, or some such organization?
I have considered 4-H as a possibility, but cannot find anything similar in the 4-H symbols I've seen online. I do not know if she grew up on a farm. I'm not convinced that the e-bay description is correct. It would be nice if the seller posted details on its provenance, but it seems to be a person who resells jewelry.

The symbol also is similar to a svaor. See https://www.pinterest.com/pin/543387511290925687/, but that seems further off the beaten path.

Knowing the age of the pin would be helpful as we could more easily place who it came from.
Old 2020-11-02, 22:04   #29
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

52×151 Posts

Quote:
Knowing the age of the pin would be helpful as we could more easily place who it came from.
It likely is less-old than the Statue of Liberty.

Perhaps a jeweler, museum curator, etc might be willing to look at it and give you an idea of how old it might be or what it might have been for, without charging you for an appraisal. (If it's mass produced, a reputable jeweler would tell you that, and say it isn't worth appraising anyway.)

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-11-02 at 22:05 Reason: gixfin posty
Old 2020-11-03, 00:04   #30
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

7×857 Posts

Quote:
It likely is less-old than the Statue of Liberty.

Perhaps a jeweler, museum curator, etc might be willing to look at it and give you an idea of how old it might be or what it might have been for, without charging you for an appraisal. (If it's mass produced, a reputable jeweler would tell you that, and say it isn't worth appraising anyway.)
A jeweler was consulted, but not much help.
Old 2020-11-04, 12:28   #31
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1110101111112 Posts

Quote:
A jeweler was consulted, but not much help.
My immediate reaction was, "Find a better jeweler." Or museum person, or someone in the memorabilia business, or a collector, or...
Old 2020-11-09, 14:19   #32
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

131568 Posts

Quote:
My immediate reaction was, "Find a better jeweller." Or museum person, or someone in the memorabilia business, or a collector, or...
I would have thought that consulting jewellers on this sort of thing could be a little hit and miss. A negative from one doesn't mean too much unless it matches their speciality or something like that.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote