mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-01, 01:37   #89
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

11110101111112 Posts
Default

With "Eco Mode" enabled our PassMark score dropped only 2.4%!

https://www.techarp.com/computer/ryzen-eco-mode-guide/
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/testin...-for-70-power/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eco.png
Views:	32
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	23233  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-01, 01:41   #90
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

17×463 Posts
Default

Here is what Ryzen Master looks like with the CPU in default (stock) mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ryzen-master.png
Views:	47
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	23234  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf (3.79 MB, 20 views)
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 23:27   #91
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

172778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Too bad the manufacturer won't replace it.
They have agreed to replace it. Unfortunately, they are unable to test the wiring before they send it. (We asked them to test it first.) We dunno why they don't have a continuity tester.



Quote:
Thank you for getting back with us. As soon as our team is able to process your replacement request a USPS tracking will be sent to you via email. Please note we do not have the equipment needed to test said wire/switch.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 23:35   #92
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

13·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We dunno why they don't have a continuity tester.

They probably wouldn't know how to use one anyway.
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-13, 21:07   #93
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

17×463 Posts
Default

The case manufacturer contacted us a few days ago and offered to send us this new part which eliminates the switch entirely. (Maybe this plate is a cheaper solution for them than making new switches?) It isn't in stock yet, though.

They have asked their engineers to review this thread for the technical reasons why the switch is broken. However, we have moved on from the case and now it sits in our study empty.

We cannot return it because all of the tedious support emails with the manufacturer took longer than the return period.

We cannot sell the case because we would just be pawning off an unsafe case onto somebody else. Plus the shipping for it would be outrageous.

Even if it gets fixed we have no interest in it anymore. All of this hassle has us convinced the case is cursed. (We have had other smaller problems with it.)

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-13, 21:14   #94
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

22F16 Posts
Default

What an amazing saga. The cord is easily fixed, if a splice in the middle of it isn't objectional.

I will certainly take it off your hands, I can put it to use and glad to pay the postage cost.
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 04:23   #95
phillipsjk
 
Nov 2019

5·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
They probably wouldn't know how to use [a continuity tester] anyway.
You say that because it is dead simple to build one if you know how they work.
You need:
  • battery
  • light source that will run off battery
  • wire.
To test circuit in question for continuity, run a wire to the circuit under test from battery, then run from circuit under test to light, to wire, to battery.
phillipsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 13:50   #96
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

13·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsjk View Post
You say that because it is dead simple to build one if you know how they work.
You need:
  • battery
  • light source that will run off battery
  • wire.
To test circuit in question for continuity, run a wire to the circuit under test from battery, then run from circuit under test to light, to wire, to battery.
Don't tell me that, tell the engineers who made that computer case how to make one. Then explain to them why it matters which wire you connect to which side of the AC line.
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 19:44   #97
Uncle Lumpy
 
Mar 2017

A16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
I looked at Be Quiet cases, along with many other brands, Fractal, Coolermaster, ThermalTake etc. Sadly none of them give you many HDD slots these days.

I would have really loved a case that had proper anti-vibration mounts for 10+ drives, but that seems to be a thing of the past.
The Antec Performance Series P101 Silent case has 8 hard drive bays (don't believe they are anti-vibration, though). Using the DVD bay gives you nine drive locations. Plus it has a place to hang 2 2.5" drives on the "cable side" of the case. Not bad for a big "mid-tower" case.

Lumpy
Uncle Lumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 19:51   #98
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

17·463 Posts
Default

We now have a Fractal Designs "Define 7 Dark" case.

It comes with six vibration-isolating 3.5" HD trays.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 06:30   #99
phillipsjk
 
Nov 2019

1018 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
Don't tell me that, tell the engineers who made that computer case how to make one. Then explain to them why it matters which wire you connect to which side of the AC line.

I thought I was doing that:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
They have asked their engineers to review this thread for the technical reasons why the switch is broken. However, we have moved on from the case and now it sits in our study empty.

I think the reason AC polarity is important in North America was mentioned by others. But to summarize: The "neutral" wire is not guaranteed to be the only path to ground (double insulation/transformer isolation CAN guarantee that). If that path to ground includes your user, you may end up with an either dead or unhappy customer. So any power switches must always disconnect the "hot" wire.

Last fiddled with by phillipsjk on 2020-10-16 at 06:32 Reason: Link to second quoted posted added.
phillipsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 02:15.

Sun Dec 6 02:15:07 UTC 2020 up 2 days, 22:26, 0 users, load averages: 1.90, 1.92, 2.23

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.