Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-19, 22:57   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default carbon nonotube condom

Someone on my Runescape game has the name STEEL CONDOM(all caps is what he spelled it as, please don't accuse me of "yelling"). Steel condoms are obviously stupid because the guy wouldn't be able to feel anything, but it would also almost 100% protect both people from transferring anything unwanted to each other.

So, that got me thinking to the problem condom makers have, namely that people want the seemingly paradoxical combination of thinness and durability in a condom. I know that we probably don't have the technology necessary to make a carbon nanotube condom that's also thin enough to allow feeling, but I'm going to channel my inner Kurzweil and say that we'll probably either have carbon nanotube condoms or something better in the next 20-30 years.

What do you guys think?
Old 2011-03-20, 00:46   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000101100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Someone on my Runescape game has the name STEEL CONDOM(all caps is what he spelled it as, please don't accuse me of "yelling"). Steel condoms are obviously stupid because the guy wouldn't be able to feel anything, but it would also almost 100% protect both people from transferring anything unwanted to each other.

So, that got me thinking to the problem condom makers have, namely that people want the seemingly paradoxical combination of thinness and durability in a condom. I know that we probably don't have the technology necessary to make a carbon nanotube condom that's also thin enough to allow feeling, but I'm going to channel my inner Kurzweil and say that we'll probably either have carbon nanotube condoms or something better in the next 20-30 years.

What do you guys think?
I say nono as in the title of the thread, even if we do get there I don't care for it I don't plan on marriage in my foreseeable life span.
Old 2011-03-20, 02:17   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I say nono as in the title of the thread.
Shit, I didn't see that til now.
Old 2011-03-20, 03:13   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186116 Posts

Wow, just the invention we've all been waiting for...

Seriously, though...surely there are better uses of the R&D time and money that would be sunk into such a thing? I mean, it's not like there's really any major deficiency with the existing "state of the art" technology--as far as I know, it works just fine.

Yeesh, why did I even post in this thread...
Old 2011-03-20, 04:02   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Wow, just the invention we've all been waiting for...

Seriously, though...surely there are better uses of the R&D time and money that would be sunk into such a thing? I mean, it's not like there's really any major deficiency with the existing "state of the art" technology--as far as I know, it works just fine.

Yeesh, why did I even post in this thread...
Think about it. We have a pill that can cure polio. That's awesome. But when people refer to something called "The pill," as in,"My sister's on the pill," guess what "the pill" does? It prevents pregnancy. Think of how much R&D went into preventing pregnancy when people could simply choose to not have sex. So if someone comes up with a condom that will never break and still offers the feeling of the best Latex condom out there, how much is that worth to the average horny couple?
Old 2011-03-20, 04:05   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141418 Posts

Quote:
Think about it. We have a pill that can cure polio. That's awesome. But when people refer to something called "The pill," as in,"My sister's on the pill," guess what "the pill" does? It prevents pregnancy. Think of how much R&D went into preventing pregnancy when people could simply choose to not have sex. So if someone comes up with a condom that will never break and still offers the feeling of the best Latex condom out there, how much is that worth to the average horny couple?
Well, it's not like the latex ones have a particularly high fail rate*. Certainly not high enough to warrant something as overkill as carbon nanotubes...

*Not speaking from any experience here, but surely if the fail rate was high then people would not rely on them so widely.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2011-03-20 at 04:06
Old 2011-03-20, 12:28   #7
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20B116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Well, it's not like the latex ones have a particularly high fail rate*. Certainly not high enough to warrant something as overkill as carbon nanotubes...

*Not speaking from any experience here, but surely if the fail rate was high then people would not rely on them so widely.
15% according to http://www.epigee.org/guide/condomfaq.html for all types together.
Old 2011-03-21, 10:00   #8
axn

Jun 2003

112558 Posts

Quote:
Think about it. We have a pill that can cure polio. That's awesome.
No, we don't. Maybe you were thinking of some other disease?
Old 2011-03-21, 10:42   #9
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
No, we don't. Maybe you were thinking of some other disease?
This thread is second in a search for such an idea so I'll never know.
Old 2020-07-16, 15:26   #10
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·32·263 Posts

Steel condom? She'll complain a one night stand and he gave her the rust.
Carbon nonotube condom? Somebody's very concerned about breakage, to use nine layers. (actually that would be nonatube)
Breakage can be a big deal. The increased sensation after breakage occurs can be just the thing to send one over the edge. Saved by the calendar.
Closed Thread