mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2021-06-28, 02:22   #1
birtwistlecaleb

Jun 2021

23×7 Posts
Default What are relative primes?

When i got to Stage 2 of P-1 factoring it said that it was processing relative primes. (480) What does that mean?
birtwistlecaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 09:36   #2
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birtwistlecaleb View Post
When i got to Stage 2 of P-1 factoring it said that it was processing relative primes. (480) What does that mean?
Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no factors in common, i.e. their greatest common divisor is 1.
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 09:50   #3
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

33208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birtwistlecaleb View Post
It means that before asking multiple questions, you should read a bit. For instance the part about The Math under the "More Information/Help" menu on the Primenet server. It is always a good thing also to browse the previous posts on a forum before starting asking questions (or even posting I would add.) Most of the time the answers are already there and it trains you on how the forum lives and where to find what. If, after doing some research (wikipedia and search engines can be helpful !), you can't find or understand something it might be the time to ask.

Jacob

Last fiddled with by S485122 on 2021-06-28 at 09:52 Reason: just to say it is a pity that those lazy questions do get answers :-(
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 12:25   #4
PhilF

"6800 descendent"
Feb 2005
Colorado

3·227 Posts

The answer given in post #2 was much more helpful to me (and probably the OP) than the answer given in post #3. Not to mention a lot shorter.

There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. People around here have gotten really sensitive lately. My point is that it really is OK to answer questions. Many readers like myself can benefit from it.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 15:28   #5
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×32×7×23 Posts

"just to say it is a pity that those lazy questions do get answers :-("
AMEN!

Over time, patterns emerge, of some new participants making an earnest effort to learn, and others appearing to be helpless or just lazy or feigning it. That is how a lazy/whatever poster exhausts the initial goodwill and patience shown by default. It's especially irritating when the answer is easily found in the reference info, to which pointers have been placed in many threads, or by forum search or even general web search with a well chosen keyword or two, or by use of a dictionary, and they've previously repeatedly been told to use those tools, and still they persist in not doing so, instead originating new threads with repeats of already-answered questions. Anyone posting on the forum is presumed able to read and think. Do that search and reading and thought first. Say so when posting a question. In a suitable EXISTING thread.
Very occasionally, such questions draw attention to a gap or ambiguity in the reference info, which gets addressed.
The questions serve sometimes as feedback on what is not obvious. There is a conflict between making the reference info comprehensive, and too inflated and bulky due to repetition of material available elsewhere including online dictionaries, wikipedia, etc. I was already receiving feedback that the reference info compilation was too large, 100 reference info posts ago.

(Don't act like a four-year-old. Why? Why? Why? ... The four year old has the excuse of being unable to read, and immaturity. What's yours? If you have a brain injury or other medical condition, or are quite young, allowances will be made, if we know of it. A certain minimal level of function is needed to be able to productively participate here. That's not us being cruel, it's just what's so.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-06-28 at 16:19
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 17:31   #6
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

41478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
The answer given in post #2 was much more helpful to me (and probably the OP) than the answer given in post #3. Not to mention a lot shorter.

There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. People around here have gotten really sensitive lately. My point is that it really is OK to answer questions. Many readers like myself can benefit from it.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 19:31   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×11×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
"just to say it is a pity that those lazy questions do get answers :-("
+1

One should be careful to distinguish between lazy and incompetent. The latter deserve answering the first time they are asked.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-06-28 at 19:32
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 21:51   #8
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

110110100002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
I beg to differ : the answer given concerns "relative primes". Just the words are enough explanation. It doesn't expalin it in context.

Generally, if I don't understand a word I would look it up. In a conversation between a few people I might ask the speaker to explain, but not in a conference or forum. On a mathematics related forum the first thing to do is look up the word. The OP is relatively new to the forum, isn't it the right time to tell him to do some research for himself before asking a forum ?

Perhaps the fact that I am not a native speaker, but more or less multilingual makes looking up things more natural for me. (It would be one more reason to try to learn more than one language.)

Doesn't the netiquette say to observe, read and learn before posting ? I see so many new people to GIMPS, asking questions that can be found in the readme file... If only they would read it.

But I might have been a wee bit grumpy.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 22:22   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Doesn't the netiquette say to observe, read and learn before posting ? I see so many new people to GIMPS, asking questions that can be found in the readme file... If only they would read it.
Hear hear!

I think it's OK if a total newbie asks a question or two when they're just starting out. But... It's when they act like children and refuse to learn for themselves after being told where to read that the problems manifest (IMO).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote