mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > GMP-ECM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-12, 09:31   #265
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

40016 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Compiled the latest SVN 1681 (The official 6.4 is SVN 1672):

GMP-ECM.html

Didn't have a chance to do the speedtests yet. I will add them tomorrow or monday.


I skipped the core2 32bit and pentium4 versions. I'll add them if someone requests them, but I don't have access to the Core2 Conroe anymore, so the 32bit version will be on the Core2 Yorksfield.
I get "signal -1073741795" from the i7 mpir w asmredc version. Google
seems to have seen this, but isn't very informative. Not sure which i7's we
have, maybe older ones missing avx? -Bruce
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 09:34   #266
Karl M Johnson
 
Karl M Johnson's Avatar
 
Mar 2010

3·137 Posts
Default

I can confirm that "ecm64-1681mpir250corei7-64-asmredc" works on Bulldozer.
Karl M Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 12:39   #267
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

2·5·313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
I get "signal -1073741795" from the i7 mpir w asmredc version. Google
seems to have seen this, but isn't very informative. Not sure which i7's we
have, maybe older ones missing avx? -Bruce
I added a new corei7 binary built with -march=corei7 -mtune=corei7 instead of core7-avx, maybe that helps.

GMP-ECM.html
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 13:24   #268
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I added a new corei7 binary built with -march=corei7 -mtune=corei7 instead of core7-avx, maybe that helps.

GMP-ECM.html
Thanks, but looks like I'll need another link on the page to get a 5th
corei7 binary. Also, I won't be able to test the new binary until there's
a site that closes for the day. -Bruce
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 16:10   #269
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

2·5·313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
Thanks, but looks like I'll need another link on the page to get a 5th
corei7 binary.
Did you try to hit F5 to refresh the page? Otherwise here is the direct links with and without --enable-asm-redc:
ecm64-1681mpir250corei7noavx-64-asmredc.zip

ecm64-1681mpir250corei7noavx-64.zip
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:58   #270
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Did you try to hit F5 to refresh the page? Otherwise here is the direct links with and without --enable-asm-redc:
ecm64-1681mpir250corei7noavx-64-asmredc.zip

ecm64-1681mpir250corei7noavx-64.zip
Thanks, I see the two new binaries now. Our i7's turn out to be
"i7 quad core 870"'s, not the i7-2700k 2nd generation chips. Typical
purchasing for us, commodity chips for public pc's, library. More than
sufficient for word processing and web surfing. I have
Code:
 341602 Jan 24  2011 ecm63mpircore2-64-asmredc.zip
 999345 Jan 12 13:44 ecm64-1681mpir250corei7noavx-64-asmredc.zip
and on
Code:
Input number is 18497627458323369222497070876046723999931638433141649181124615832553914429217118808483686055543196404160468420183749785716365582925168760774103407003448171479049297661884597054335772234218906543053621 
(200 digits)
the new binary appears just slightly slower
Code:
< GMP-ECM 6.3 [configured with GMP 5.0.1 and --enable-asm-redc] [ECM]
---
> GMP-ECM 6.4 [configured with MPIR 2.5.0, --enable-asm-redc] [ECM]
3,5c3,5
< Using B1=400000000, B2=5821851770290, polynomial Dickson(30), sigma=62857100
< Step 1 took 4328684ms
< Step 2 took 1681738ms
---
> Using B1=400000000, B2=5821851770290, polynomial Dickson(30), sigma=637635111
> Step 1 took 4481549ms
> Step 2 took 1691316ms
Suppose it's good to switch anyway. Regards, Bruce
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:44   #271
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

2×5×313 Posts
Default

I'm surprised the GMP build is faster than MPIR. Maybe you should try the Core2 build instead of Corei7 one? It might be closer to your Corei7 870, or maybe the Corei7 old 6.3.1 build with MPIR?

MPIR has been faster for 64bit in both 6.3, 6.3.1 and now 6.4. Maybe it is a 32 bit Windows? If it is I can build a 32 bit binary if needed.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2012-01-13 at 03:53
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 11:36   #272
Yamato
 
Yamato's Avatar
 
Sep 2005
Berlin

2×3×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
...
the new binary appears just slightly slower
Could you please compare that with my core2-binary (link) on your i7, I only have a core2, but the timings for stage 2 differ from the timings posted here. As I see it, MPIR is faster on Win64 but not on Linux64 (there is no real difference to gmp).
By the way, has anybody successfully run the 'tuneup' command for building MPIR, according to /doc/mpir.info-1 ? I got an error message here.
Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 11:47   #273
lorgix
 
lorgix's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Scandinavia

3×5×41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I added a new corei7 binary built with -march=corei7 -mtune=corei7 instead of core7-avx, maybe that helps.

GMP-ECM.html
I switched from ecm631mpir240core2-64-asmredc to ecm64-1681mpir250core2-64-asmredc.

I did a little testing, and it seems the new version is slower (at least for small inputs).
lorgix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 13:36   #274
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post
Could you please compare that with my core2-binary (link) on your i7, I only have a core2, but the timings for stage 2 differ from the timings posted here. As I see it, MPIR is faster on Win64 but not on Linux64 (there is no real difference to gmp).
By the way, has anybody successfully run the 'tuneup' command for building MPIR, according to /doc/mpir.info-1 ? I got an error message here.
Thanks, but these are windows7 machines. Regards, Bruce
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 14:19   #275
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I'm surprised the GMP build is faster than MPIR. Maybe you should try the Core2 build instead of Corei7 one? It might be closer to your Corei7 870, or maybe the Corei7 old 6.3.1 build with MPIR?

MPIR has been faster for 64bit in both 6.3, 6.3.1 and now 6.4. Maybe it is a 32 bit Windows? If it is I can build a 32 bit binary if needed.
I've assumed that I have the MPIR build and

GMP-ECM 6.3 [configured with GMP 5.0.1 and --enable-asm-redc] [ECM]

is a reporting error? I'm double checking, and get
Code:
unzip -v ecm63mpircore2-64-asmredc.zip 

Archive:  ecm63mpircore2-64-asmredc.zip
 Length   Method    Size  Ratio   Date   Time   CRC-32    Name
--------  ------  ------- -----   ----   ----   ------    ----
  887156  Defl:N   341454  62%  01-22-11 21:43  95f18f0f  ecm.exe
--------          -------  ---                            -------
  887156           341454  62%                            1 file
-----------
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 bad0 faculty  887156 Jan 22  2011 ecm63core2-64asm

and

diff ecm63core2-64asm /tmp/bdtmp/ecm.exe

[binary files are the same]
This is surely the binary that was in the MPIR tarfile last January.

As I was reporting back then, these pcs run windows7, an upgrade for
our public sites from xp, and the 64-bit performance was way-up from
any of the 32-bit binaries. -Bruce
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Links masser Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 25 2011-11-26 09:21
Links to Precompiled Msieve versions wblipp Msieve 0 2011-07-17 20:59
Links davieddy Information & Answers 9 2010-10-08 14:27
Links question ET_ PrimeNet 0 2008-01-26 09:35
Links. Xyzzy Forum Feedback 2 2007-03-18 02:17

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:17.

Tue May 11 02:17:38 UTC 2021 up 32 days, 20:58, 1 user, load averages: 2.21, 2.59, 2.79

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.