mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2021-06-22, 20:53   #1
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

6778 Posts
Default Excessive hording of P-1 factoring assignments (and people's attention)

I was looking at the active exponents, and in particular the P-1 factoring assignments. User "Lisander Viaene" has completed 12 P-1 factoring assignments in the last year
https://www.mersenne.org/report_top_500_p-1/
and contributed 102.621 GHz days of P-1. All very useful.

However, that same user has roughly 24 active P-1 assignments
https://www.mersenne.org/assignments...xtf=1&excert=1
with ETAs of between -30 and -36 days (i.e. all later than expected), with the most that any individual assignment has completed is 1.4% of stage 1 - most show no work whatsoever. All are on computer "Desktop", which may or may not be the same machine.

Is this not a bit excessive? These would be category 0 if they were PRP tests, so it does not seem reasonable to me for someone to hog all these, but not really doing any work on them. I'm not suggesting the user is breaking any assignment rules, but do believe there should be rules to prevent this.

I am aware of exponents that have been owned by a user for longer - even seen reports on here of some being years, where rules are not enforced.

Last fiddled with by drkirkby on 2021-06-22 at 21:12
drkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 21:10   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100110101110112 Posts

First thing. This thread should have been over in PrimeNet or Data, not New to GIMPS It will be moved. Please be cognizant of where you post new threads. Also, try to find an existing thread that is of the same subject before posting a new one.
For example this one: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=26001
or this one: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=26655

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkirkby View Post
I was looking at the active exponents, and in particular the P-1 factoring assignments. User "Lisander Viaene" has completed 12 P-1 factoring assignments in the last year
Is this not a bit excessive? These would be category 0 if they were PRP tests, so it does not seem reasonable to me for someone to hog all these, but not really doing any work on them.
If you look at these: 104056151, 104056079,and 104055901 you will see that someone is going in and liberating those that Lisander has in their clutches. It appears that that person is working from the lower exponents upward. If someone else (such as you) worked from the higher downward, or found other such exponents that are being tied up with no work being done on them, that could help clear this problem until the the powers that be fix the assignments rules WRT P-1.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 21:27   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,231 Posts

Quote:
Is this not a bit excessive?
IMHO, no more excessive than polluting the bandwidth of the forum supporting the project with posts with SNR approaching zero.

At least the former can be managed by "sharpshooters" bringing kit to bear to eliminate the problem (AKA strategic poaching).

The latter problem takes more effort to manage. (And patience; much like educating a young and inexperienced mind which demands constant attention.)

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2021-06-22 at 21:29 Reason: s/bring kit/bringing kit/; # That one always gets me...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 22:07   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3×5×661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
At least the former can be managed by "sharpshooters" bringing kit to bear to eliminate the problem (AKA strategic poaching).
That also comes with observation over time and wisdom and insight. One might even stumble across this thread.

Quote:
The latter problem takes more effort to manage. (And patience; much like educating a young and inexperienced mind which demands constant attention.)
That takes reading and diligent observation and self-study of 'prior art'. It should no longer surprise me that technicians often grok the problem space much better than those that choose to add more letters to their name. A former coworker had a 4 year degree in (IIRC) physics and didn't understand the relationship of volts and amps and ohms. I used the water analogy to explain it. They also did not understand that running the heater in their car has no practical effect on fuel economy. They would arrive sometimes bundled up like a 6 year-old in Moscow waiting for the school bus

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2021-06-22 at 22:10
Old 2021-06-22, 22:39   #5
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
If you look at these: 104056151, 104056079,and 104055901 you will see that someone is going in and liberating those that Lisander has in their clutches. It appears that that person is working from the lower exponents upward. If someone else (such as you) worked from the higher downward, or found other such exponents that are being tied up with no work being done on them, that could help clear this problem until the the powers that be fix the assignments rules WRT P-1.
Is someone liberating them, or are they perhaps expiring? All those you point to were assigned the same date (2021-05-16) as those I see, but those you point to were expired today. The only thing that is odd is that they expired after 37 days, which is a bit of an unusual number.

I'm not going to poach them.
Old 2021-06-22, 22:48   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,231 Posts

Quote:
Is someone liberating them, or are they perhaps expiring?
O.M.G.

I don't think I've ever encountered a lower level of comprehension and analytic capability in an entity. Except, of course, for trolls, who do it deliberately.
Old 2021-06-22, 22:58   #7
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
O.M.G.

I don't think I've ever encountered a lower level of comprehension and analytic capability in an entity. Except, of course, for trolls, who do it deliberately.
cp /dev/null
Old 2021-06-22, 23:04   #8
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3·5·373 Posts

P-1 on exponent E is assigned to user L.

Little or nothing happens. For weeks or months.

People notice.
P-1 for exponent E is run to completion by some other user T, and a result submitted to the PrimeNet server.
The server enters the P-1 result for E from T into the database, notices the bounds are sufficient for E, retires the P-1 task for that exponent E as completed, and marks any pending P-1 assignment for that exponent E as expired in the database, in this case user L's stagnant P-1 assignment for E, since it's no longer needed.
Subsequent review of the exponent E on the web page will show, T's P-1 result submission for E, and expiration of L's P-1 assignment for E, occurred on the same day.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-06-22 at 23:44
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 23:16   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,231 Posts

Quote:
cp /dev/null
Thanks for confirming my fears. And to be pedantic, you didn't define the STDOUT for the command, so it will throw an error. Perhaps you meant cat instead of cp?
Old 2021-06-22, 23:29   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·5·661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Subsequent review of the exponent E on the web page will show, T's P-1 result submission for E, and expiration of L's P-1 assignment for E, occurred on the same day.
And that the PRP for exponent E has been assigned to user B. User B complete PRP, server assigns Cert run to user C. User C completes C run and the exponent is marked in the database as Verified.

Rando forumite D is too busy to thoroughly examine exponent status page that has been linked to, thus wasting other forumites K, C, and U's time.
Old 2021-06-23, 00:11   #11
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3×5×373 Posts

s/hording/hoarding/ #totally different meanings
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote