Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2011-10-20, 08:07   #683
aketilander

"Åke Tilander"
Apr 2011
Sandviken, Sweden

2×283 Posts
Question WAGs ?

I don't understand the meaning of WAGs in this context. What does it mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_(disambiguation)
aketilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 08:20   #684
aketilander

"Åke Tilander"
Apr 2011
Sandviken, Sweden

2·283 Posts
Question Forced B/S test?

If you really, very much, would like your P-1 test to include a B/S test is it possible to force P95 to include a B/S test in your P-1 test even though you don't have "enough" memory?

Of course I do understand that it would slow down the test and it will not be the most rational thing to do, but is it possible?
aketilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 08:32   #685
axn

Jun 2003

23·233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aketilander View Post

http://www.acronymfinder.com/WAG.html

I'll let you figure out which one I meant
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 12:08   #686
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

116910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Actually, it is not at all obvious that it _is_ beneficial. Period. The current P-1 code just makes WAGs about B/S efficiency.
That's true.

Quote:
It is probably more beneficial if people don't give enough memory for B/S so that they can run thru more P-1 tests -- rather than some tests getting super P-1 and some getting none at all.
I've argued before that people taking P-1 assignments are trying to solve a different optimisation problem from that faced by those doing P-1 as a preliminary to LLing the same exponent, and that the former should do P-1 to lower bounds than the latter. I wouldn't, however recommend reducing the available memory to speed up the computation. Rather I would suggest increasing the nominal number of bits factored in the worktodo file.

But I honestly don't think this makes a lot of difference, and I don't do this myself.

Last fiddled with by Mr. P-1 on 2011-10-20 at 12:08
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 12:39   #687
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

17×619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aketilander View Post

Try: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wag
Def #5.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 13:12   #688
axn

Jun 2003

23×233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
I've argued before that people taking P-1 assignments are trying to solve a different optimisation problem from that faced by those doing P-1 as a preliminary to LLing the same exponent, and that the former should do P-1 to lower bounds than the latter.
Indeed. In the context of this thread, we're trying to avoid "no P-1 LL" as much as possible, so the volunteers should ensure the maximum number of exponents to be "reasonably" P-1'ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
I wouldn't, however recommend reducing the available memory to speed up the computation. Rather I would suggest increasing the nominal number of bits factored in the worktodo file.

But I honestly don't think this makes a lot of difference, and I don't do this myself.
As long as increasing memory decreases the run time, go for it. But after a certain point, B/S will kick in, and increase the run time. Not good (at least from this thread's context).
Another factor: larger memory usage means, if you're stopping and starting the P-1 run frequently, the overhead will be higher [naturally, this is not relevant if you allow it to run to completion]

----

I'd be interested to see the precise relationship b/w memory allocated and stage2 run time for the current group of exponents under consideration [modulo the caveat that memory change will slightly alter the bounds chosen and success probability].

I'd like to see some realworld data. To avoid the effect of different cpus, this can be measure as the ratio of stage2 run time : stage1 run time. I can haz data?
Old 2011-10-20, 13:53   #689
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

116910 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to see some realworld data. To avoid the effect of different cpus, this can be measure as the ratio of stage2 run time : stage1 run time. I can haz data?
That doesn't necessarily avoid the effect of different cpus. A while back I experimented with underclocking my PC by reducing the multiplier, effectively giving it a "different" cpu. This had appreciably more effect on stage 1 than it did on stage 2, presumably because stage 2 is bound by memory bandwidth and perhaps also latency to a greater degree than stage 1.

Also I find that, when it's otherwise idle, my dual core system spends considerably longer in stage 2 than stage 1. Consequently, with maxhighmemworkers=1, it accumulates uncompleted stage 2 over time. To counteract this, I run the stage 2 process at high priority. Stage 2 gets the entire core almost all the time, and produces results to a quite regular schedule, while stage 1 competes with every other process for the other core, and timings vary wildly depending upon what other applications I'm using. I still accumulate stage 2 over time, and have to switch to maxhighmemworkers=2 every now and again, but not as often as I otherwise would.

So I'm not sure how informative the ratio would be to you.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 14:20   #690
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

144658 Posts

Quote:
As long as increasing memory decreases the run time, go for it. But after a certain point, B/S will kick in, and increase the run time. Not good (at least from this thread's context).
Isn't it only bad if the increased runtime doesn't give a proportionate increase in probability of factor?

Tom
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 14:51   #691
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2×3×151 Posts
Default Changing worktodo after additional TF work

When I receive a P-1 assignment, sometimes I do additional trial factoring with the GPU from 68—>71 before the P-1 work begins. It it important to change the worktodo file to reflect this increase before the P-1 process starts?

Chuck
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 15:18   #692
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3×11×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
When I receive a P-1 assignment, sometimes I do additional trial factoring with the GPU from 68—>71 before the P-1 work begins. It it important to change the worktodo file to reflect this increase before the P-1 process starts?

Chuck
I don't think any changes are critical but I think you should change the second last parm that indicates the bits of TF done.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 16:22   #693
axn

Jun 2003

23·233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
Isn't it only bad if the increased runtime doesn't give a proportionate increase in probability of factor?

Tom
Yes. Problem is p95 doesn't have any hard data for calculating the probability. And AFAICT, it overestimates the worth of B/S. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that it is around a 10% increase (which would mean roughly 1 in 10 P-1 factor that was found where B-S was used could only have been found that way -- not sure empirical data supports that).

OTOH, _I_ don't have hard numbers as to how much worse the runtime is with different degrees of B/S. If it is say 20% more, then probably B/S is not worth it (in the context of this thread).

Last fiddled with by axn on 2011-10-20 at 16:25