xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

5×31×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I'm going to have to expand the dictionary that my program uses. I mentally knew the word after the first two of my three standard clues, which had captured all five letters (two in their correct placement), so I didn't even need my program.This was good, since my program didn't find it.
Let me know if you want the list of 15949 5-letter words I have available. Probably not optimal because it contains some very obscure words.

Now wasting my time on a refugee from the early 90s. Another thread ...
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 13:41   #46
nordi

Dec 2016

7816 Posts

Solved it in 3 today. Got very lucky on my first guess, not so lucky on the second.

shore
shire
nordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 14:10   #47
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

3·5·112 Posts

There are some combination of letters that have too many possibilities, turning the puzzle into a lottery.

An obvious example in French is the following R_A_?_E, four letters only, but there are 14 different possibilities (in a 26 letters alphabet) to fill in the last missing letter. The same kind of things probably exist in other languages.
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 14:50   #48
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·5·11·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Let me know if you want the list of 15949 5-letter words I have available. Probably not optimal because it contains some very obscure words.

Now wasting my time on a refugee from the early 90s. Another thread ...
I'll pass for now and am looking at your other thread.

I did d/l a British dictionary and that had today's word - no surprise. Oddly, it has less five-letter words than my original

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordi View Post
Solved it in 3 today. Got very lucky on my first guess, not so lucky on the second.
That is why I have three test words that contain unique letters. The words are based on the frequency of letter use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
There are some combination of letters that have too many possibilities, turning the puzzle into a lottery.

An obvious example in French is the following R_A_?_E, four letters only, but there are 14 different possibilities (in a 26 letters alphabet) to fill in the last missing letter. The same kind of things probably exist in other languages.
Instead of trying to change the single letter, I would choose the next guess by including a word with several of the possibles that doesn't include those I know are there (as far as possible). For your example, I would try T_A_C_K and then maybe G_A_P_S, if needed.

As an aside, look at all the words you can get from S, T, O, P.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 23:05   #49
nordi

Dec 2016

23×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
That is why I have three test words that contain unique letters. The words are based on the frequency of letter use.
In hard mode you have to use all hints you have for the next guess, you can activate it in the settings. So that trick does not workfor me.
nordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 23:29   #50
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

23·3·439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordi View Post
In hard mode you have to use all hints you have for the next guess, you can activate it in the settings. So that trick does not workfor me.
But, if you are using a program to help you out, that is how it should work. The trick is to start with a word that tends to give good clues.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 07:38   #51
axn

Jun 2003

5·29·37 Posts

Got today's in 5. After using up my standard 4 guesses, only got 4 hits, one of which was in correct position. After checking word lists matching the pattern (https://word.tips/), guessed the most common noun, and it worked.
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 13:23   #52
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2×5×11×41 Posts

My three standard guesses didn't solve it, either. But I constructed my fourth guess based on the gathered data from the other three and that left me with one solution. In actuality, after the first three, it was narrowed to two solutions, so if I had guessed one, right would have solved in four, wrong would have solved in five, anyway. I probably should have guessed. . .
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-19, 11:45   #53
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

100010011102 Posts

I solved today's Wordle in 5 guesses.

happy
slide
frogs
turns