mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-16, 21:28   #166
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default

I'm still hoping for a sieve file.

Also, I've thought about it, and I've decided I'm willing to sieve for any base from 2-31. I'm thinking I might download the various sieve files and see what kinds of numbers I come up with.

Of course, I intend to start with my already reserved number. k=16734 base=4. :)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 22:30   #167
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

241778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'm still hoping for a sieve file.

Also, I've thought about it, and I've decided I'm willing to sieve for any base from 2-31. I'm thinking I might download the various sieve files and see what kinds of numbers I come up with.

Of course, I intend to start with my already reserved number. k=16734 base=4. :)
What kind of sieving resources do you have? There are 2 'factoring holes' in the Sierp base 16 drive for n=100K-200K up to P=1T. They are at P=772.8G-800G and 976.5G-1T. After the holes are filled in , we need to take it up to P=1.5T or so.

I'm thinking to get it to 1.5T would take about 10 CPU days but just getting it to about P=1.2T-1.25T would be helpful.

I need to remove k's found prime by the drive in the last few days but I could send them to you within about 6 hours or so. (4 AM GMT)

Let me know and I'll give you more specifics about what is needed.


Gary
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 23:30   #168
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
What kind of sieving resources do you have? There are 2 'factoring holes' in the Sierp base 16 drive for n=100K-200K up to P=1T. They are at P=772.8G-800G and 976.5G-1T. After the holes are filled in , we need to take it up to P=1.5T or so.

I'm thinking to get it to 1.5T would take about 10 CPU days but just getting it to about P=1.2T-1.25T would be helpful.

I need to remove k's found prime by the drive in the last few days but I could send them to you within about 6 hours or so. (4 AM GMT)

Let me know and I'll give you more specifics about what is needed.


Gary
That'd be great(receiving the sieving files, I mean), I have to play catchup with some non-Mersenne forum stuff(I'm very forgetful, need to take better notes), but I ought to be able to run the sieving in the next few days, and be done in a week or so. 10 cpu days sounds pretty easy, considering I have a Core2Quad. :)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 04:40   #169
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

7·1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
That'd be great(receiving the sieving files, I mean), I have to play catchup with some non-Mersenne forum stuff(I'm very forgetful, need to take better notes), but I ought to be able to run the sieving in the next few days, and be done in a week or so. 10 cpu days sounds pretty easy, considering I have a Core2Quad. :)
I just realized that I'll have a dual-core machine freed up later tonight. I'd like to fill in the 'factor holes' first so that it is cleanly sieved up to P=1T. That should take < 1 day. I'll then send the files to you for sieving to P=1.5T. Look for them sometime late Thurs./early Fri.

Are you familiar with how to run sr2sieve? If not, I should mention that it doesn't remove candidates, it only writes out factors. I'm fine if you want to run the sieve and send me the factors. I can then remove the candidates using srfile.


Gary
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 05:53   #170
tcadigan
 
tcadigan's Avatar
 
Sep 2004
UVic

7010 Posts
Default 13438 prime found

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcadigan View Post
...
sieve-sierp-base16-13438.txt
...
13438*2^395260+1 is prime! Time: 232.374 sec.

aka 13438*16^98815+1

results file attached. (file completed)

Gary can you send a pm with directions how to submit properly? I do believe it's large enough and I've never done it before...

reserving:
sieve-sierp-base28.txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt lresults.txt (140.3 KB, 209 views)

Last fiddled with by tcadigan on 2008-01-17 at 05:59
tcadigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 06:39   #171
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

7×1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcadigan View Post
13438*2^395260+1 is prime! Time: 232.374 sec.

aka 13438*16^98815+1

results file attached. (file completed)

Gary can you send a pm with directions how to submit properly? I do believe it's large enough and I've never done it before...

reserving:
sieve-sierp-base28.txt

Wow, lightning strikes twice in two days! Congrats on your first top-5K prime!

And just in time before the file ran out. It saves me sieving time for n=100K-200K also. (I'm including all k's remaining in it; not just the 'team drive' k's.) Life is good!

I'm thinking it makes sense to publically post the instructions on submitting a top-5K prime. I'll do that in the 'report primes here' thread in a little while.

Edit: This one will be a little 'different' so to speak. You can choose to submit it as is but the top-5K site will 'normalize' it to 6719*2^395261+1. I would suggest submitting it in this normallized format. I prefer to do it that way because otherwise you get a cryptic message that is not an error but is hard to understand if you've never done it before. I'll send you a PM in addition to the public instructions.


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-01-18 at 01:57 Reason: Changed comment about where instructions thread is
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 11:20   #172
michaf
 
michaf's Avatar
 
Jan 2005

479 Posts
Default

No, I did not add it back (haven't even seen it coming up :>)

I'll add it to my files, and sieve/llr it as far as the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Micha,

Did you add back MOB k=17496 to Sierp base 24? I had tested it to n=6.5K with no prime and had added one to your remaining k's from before. I had assumed that you had previously removed it per the prior project description. So this would now make 170 k's remaining unless you found a prime for it.


Gary
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 19:34   #173
Xentar
 
Xentar's Avatar
 
Sep 2006

11×17 Posts
Default Status update Sierp b17 and b18

Sierp b17: LLR around n~90k for all three k. I reserved till 100,000, but I think I will continue. Will start sieving soon, but have a question again.
What's more effective:
- Sieve all three k together, or alone? Alone, I can use sr1sieve, which is much faster..
- Sieve n = 100,000 - 200,000, or should I already sieve a bigger range (for example 100,000 - 1,000,000)?

Sierp b18: LLR around n~150k, still one k remaining, and still no prime :(

Last fiddled with by Xentar on 2008-01-17 at 19:35
Xentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 20:18   #174
Siemelink
 
Siemelink's Avatar
 
Jan 2006
Hungary

22×67 Posts
Default

342*27^36291+1 is prime.

found PRP by LLR, proven with pfgw. I won't continue that range obviously.
Has anyone ever found a PRP that turned out not to be prime after all?

Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 22:20   #175
michaf
 
michaf's Avatar
 
Jan 2005

479 Posts
Default

Usually, taking a bigger range doesn't affect the speed too much.
Then again, whenever you find a prime, the extra time is 'wasted'.

I'd say that after n=0-100k, a good choice would be n=100-500k.

Best would be to test-sieve a few ranges and see how it affects the speed
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 22:35   #176
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

7·1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siemelink View Post
342*27^36291+1 is prime.

found PRP by LLR, proven with pfgw. I won't continue that range obviously.
Has anyone ever found a PRP that turned out not to be prime after all?

Willem.
Excellent! Only one k to go on Sierp base 27. If you knock that one out, it could be our first proof of a conjecture!

I know I haven't found a PRP to be not prime.

Edit: I think there is some smaller ones listed on the top-5000 site. Supposedly the larger the PRP, the less chance it has of being not prime. I heard someone say that there's a much better chance of a hardware error causing an incorrect prime than a PRP being found not prime.


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-01-17 at 22:46
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bases 501-1030 reservations/statuses/primes KEP Conjectures 'R Us 3857 2021-05-09 14:34
Bases 101-250 reservations/statuses/primes gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 898 2021-05-08 18:09
Bases 251-500 reservations/statuses/primes gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 2281 2021-04-26 18:08
Riesel base 3 reservations/statuses/primes KEP Conjectures 'R Us 1098 2021-04-18 21:07
Bases 33-100 reservations/statuses/primes Siemelink Conjectures 'R Us 1682 2021-04-13 23:50

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:20.

Wed May 12 00:20:46 UTC 2021 up 33 days, 19:01, 0 users, load averages: 3.73, 3.96, 3.88

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.