mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > GMP-ECM

Old 2010-11-20, 04:54   #1
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

10000011000102 Posts
Default Is a Less-than-perfect machine valuable for ECM?

I have an Intel P4 2.8GHz machine that fails under the Blend test in mprime (linux) after an extended time. It has not, as yet, failed any FFTs. It has on occasion, spontaneously closed programs and/or shut itself off, but not recently.

I don't trust it for anything having to do with my normal computing.

However, today I ran some ECM curves with it, as a test.

It is currently limited to 374MB for memory and took about 40 minutes per curve for the 141 digit composite cofactor of aliquot sequence 4788, iteration 2561. I used 11e7 for B1 and the B2 value came back as 776278396540.

My question is whether I should relegate this machine to ECM curves, or not. Would the odds be more in favor of working fine, missing a factor, or displaying a false factor? Any factors found could (would) be proven good/bad when tried. If I can use it for ECM, I might even "find" more memory for it.

Thoughts. . .
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 07:43   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1114510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I have an Intel P4 2.8GHz machine that fails under the Blend test in mprime (linux) after an extended time. It has not, as yet, failed any FFTs. It has on occasion, spontaneously closed programs and/or shut itself off, but not recently.

It is currently limited to 374MB for memory and took about 40 minutes per curve for the 141 digit composite cofactor of aliquot sequence 4788, iteration 2561. I used 11e7 for B1 and the B2 value came back as 776278396540.

My question is whether I should relegate this machine to ECM curves, or not. Would the odds be more in favor of working fine, missing a factor, or displaying a false factor? Any factors found could (would) be proven good/bad when tried. If I can use it for ECM, I might even "find" more memory for it.

Thoughts. . .
Go for it!

As long as you don't mind the power bill most any machine built in the last ten years will be useful for ECM. Faster machines will churn through the work more quickly, of course, but they will get there in the end. Any machine I have lying around which is doing something useful (a file server for instance) also runs ECM just to keep it doing something else useful when its cpu is not otherwise needed.

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2010-11-20 at 09:02 Reason: Fix speeling misteak
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 08:00   #3
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2·1,061 Posts

Quote:
It is currently limited to 374MB for memory

If I can use it for ECM, I might even "find" more memory for it.

Thoughts. . .
What kind of RAM does it use? I've got a couple of machines lying around that have various types of memory available.....I really need to make a run to the dump; I just hate having to pay the necessary e-waste fee. I sure there are more than a few others with the same thing.
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 15:17   #4
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:

Thoughts. . .
The machine may miss a factor owing to a faulty computation, but it
will not return a false one.

Noone can assess the odds of its working properly.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 15:54   #5
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

419410 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably set it up for ECM use, then. Now, all I have to do is choose what to ECM. . .

I'll have to check the board capability for RAM. Right now it's running PC2100. I had PC2700 in it, but moved that to another machine. I know it doesn't recognize a PC3200 that I tried, but that particular memory stick wasn't recognized by a machine that should have. I would hate to cost anyone shipping, but do often accept things heading for the trash.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 18:15   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

240168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
I really need to make a run to the dump; I just hate having to pay the necessary e-waste fee. I sure there are more than a few others with the same thing.
I suspect you mean 'landfill', not dump. And most places don't charge a fee for e-waste (now the term that is being used for stuff like that and batteries and oil is 'universal waste').
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 00:28   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I suspect you mean 'landfill', not dump. And most places don't charge a fee for e-waste (now the term that is being used for stuff like that and batteries and oil is 'universal waste').
Well, at least where I come from (rural Western NY), there is a distinction; various small towns/villages/etc. have their own collection sites (techincally "transfer facilities", colloquially "dumps"). Residents who opt not to pay a local garbage company to take out their trash on a weekly basis can drive it there and pay a few bucks a can (recyclables free; other towns use different pay scales, but the basic idea is the same) to throw it into a garbage truck parked there. At the end of the day the truck goes to the large regional landfill (not directly open to the public) and dumps its load there. I would guess in this case that schickel was referring to a transfer facility when he said "dump".
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 05:12   #8
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3×1,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
FYI: e-waste is the appropriate term. "Universal waste" is a narrow category that doesn't include computers (or oil); it's mostly light bulbs and batteries.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 05:56   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

280E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
FYI: e-waste is the appropriate term. "Universal waste" is a narrow category that doesn't include computers (or oil); it's mostly light bulbs and batteries.
Ok, not oil, but computers are on the list.
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/hazardouswast...aste/index.cfm
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 19:24   #10
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
The machine may miss a factor owing to a faulty computation, but it
will not return a false one.
Even if it did, it wouldn't matter, because all factors are verified by the server on submission.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote