mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data > Teams

Old 2006-07-03, 02:55   #1
strates

155578 Posts
Default Distinquishing Team from Individual accounts

Hello,

I have followed the project for many years, and have often contributed computer time. Being an avid distributed computing buff, I consider GIMPS to be one of the most noble projects available. The only thing that deters me from extensive participation is the way the GIMPS project looks at teams. I understand that teams are able to form, but I feel the way a team account is handled destroys the individuality of members of the team. I believe this is a prevailing feeling for much of the wider distributed computing network, and I believe that participation in the GIMPS project could be greatly increased if there was more established team tracking system, such as that provided by some of the other distributed computing prime search projects. I understand that this migration would require a very extensive overhaul of the stats database. I would like to open a discussion with the wider GIMPS community on the advantages of such a team tracking system. I would also be willing to volunteer my time and experience in carrying out this overhaul.

Perhaps this is a discussion that has already been had, so sorry if this is a repost.

With Respect,
Shane Strate
Old 2006-07-05, 13:03   #2
rx7350

Feb 2006
AR, US

24×32 Posts

These are my feelings, and I believe that they represent some % of the GIMPS community. I only recently started participating (Jan 2006), and distributed computing, with GIMPS in particular, are so compelling that I've gone at it whole hog. I intend to continue particpating whether the stats system is revised or not.

But, a great deal of the appeal for me is the competitve nature of 'my cruncher against yours'. When teams are formed that are able to amass 500 (or more) machines, I have no chance whatsoever of ever being able to compete, and the appeal is somewhat diminished.

I would like to see an individual stats ranking list similar to the combined ranking list now available.
rx7350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 15:01   #3
RMAC9.5

Jun 2003

32·17 Posts

Two years ago this design document initially captured the v5 system concept and objectives, though it's now woefully outdated and lacks details for feature-level implementation. However, the v5 GIMPS client web API specification is current for the system in development and describes data-level dependencies that hint at how the system works and what will be available for users on the web site.

A single web interface (a set of forms/pages) will manage all the computers of an account, as a whole or specific computers, and its operating options and preferences. Another set will manage all the resources of a team, which is created and managed by a teamleader. An important design philosophy of v5 is allowing users to manage distributed computing resources across multiple projects and on various workloads without having to physically revisit their computers once they have installed the v5 client.

Before you can install your first v5 client program, you normally need to create an account on the web site. This sets up an account summary page you can optionally make public and to which you can link or frame-embed from elsewhere, and enables your access to manage your account, computers and workload. It also provides an account binding the v5 client expects when you install it, though it's also possible to install a v5 client with an anonymous account binding that is instead managed by the project admin (in GIMPS' case, that's big GW).

When you install a v5 client, you give it just your account name, an optional computer name, and nothing else! This can be setup for batch installs, too. Once installed the v5 client does not need to keep a record of who owns it or its name, just its identity key. From that point forward the v5 server tells the client, when it asks, who owns it and what its name is.

Installed v5 clients will appear on your personal admin web page. You can still manage the client directly at the computer to some degree (including changing its account owner and local options and work preferences), but for the vast majority of the time you will select your project and work-type preference options on the web and your group (or cloud) of computers will simply perform your wishes on their own, collectively, or even individually or even as different CPUs on a computer if you want to fine-tune them. You will also be able to rename computers and transfer them between accounts. The local v5 client settings, however, will always have the ability to over-ride your web account (or team) settings.

You choose your optional team on your admin web page and can change it as often as you wish - your computers ride along with you. We haven't finalized decisions about team-level computer control, but we are carefully thinking it through. The current plan for crediting work in teams is that whatever team-level credit you earn while you are part of a team stays with the team. The same plan applies to computers on accounts - you can give away or lose the computer but the work credit it earned for your account stays on your account.

Much of the alpha & beta test phases will be focused upon these web management tasks, teams, and stats reporting rather than the v5 client and server. For alpha in particular we don't need a ton of computers per person - only enough to work out the kinks until beta. At first the v5 web site will be a little rough around the edges until the functionality is firm, but we'll pretty it up later. Get it working, then tune it up.

The italicized text above was copied from a February 06 entry in the v5 PrimeNet alpha and beta testing thread in the PrimeNet section. Hopefully your concerns will be addressed by the v5 data base software upgrade which is on the "horizon".
RMAC9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 02:07   #4
outlnder

Aug 2002

1001111102 Posts

How would you say what was a team and what was an individual??

I have, at sometimes, had 20 personal machines, all in my apartment, running GIMPS.

Would I be a team or an individual??
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 00:02   #5
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

426710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlnder View Post
How would you say what was a team and what was an individual??

I have, at sometimes, had 20 personal machines, all in my apartment, running GIMPS.

Would I be a team or an individual??
If the person checked the box saying "Create a team using the information above...." then it's a team, otherwise it's an individual.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 20:50   #6
PrimeCrazzy

Dec 2005

2×7 Posts

I like the idea of posting individual stats.

Can something be done about this?
PrimeCrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote