mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Closed Thread

Old 2019-12-30, 18:35   #1
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

32·101 Posts
Exclamation GPU72 and BOINC a match made in ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
But if anyone has any GPU compute available (perhaps Santa was kind???) we could *really* use some more TF'ing firepower.
Even though many parts of this forum doesn't like to hear it, I'm going to say it anyway: IT IS TIME TO GO BOINC.

There is litterally a whole forest of GPUs available for you to use for free and bring you years ahead of Ben Delo. I believe that some of you could easily make mfakt(0)(c) work on BOINC and setup a database to run BOINC.

I know at least one project here has benefit a LOT from allowing BOINC to support their project. It now seems that you are in no way in a position where you can actually keep up "on your own". So please put the appropriate people to work and maybe let the CPU trial factoring people start working on higher bits in stead of just working the same bit for the increasing n-range (that could also help a little).

Just my 2 cents, to help bring back som true lead and efficiency to the trial factors wich is currently fighting a "loosing" battle

Take care and happy new year everyone
Old 2019-12-30, 18:48   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

11×19×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Just my 2 cents, to help bring back som true lead and efficiency to the trial factors wich is currently fighting a "loosing" battle
I'm certainly not against the idea, although I wouldn't be able to do all the work myself. I'd be happy to work with anyone capable, to make the reservations available by way of an API (if what is currently available is insufficient).

But with regards to having CPUs doing the TF'ing... While there's nothing stopping anyone from doing this, it _really_ doesn't make sense. GPUs are just /so/ much faster at this work type.
Old 2020-03-15, 09:04   #3
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

2,357 Posts

I have started to setup GPU72 on SRBase (BOINC). There is still a lot of work to do and making some tests. If all is going as planned there will be a speedup in processing. I cant promise anything but Iam confident.
Old 2020-03-15, 13:15   #4
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

2×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
I have started to setup GPU72 on SRBase (BOINC). There is still a lot of work to do and making some tests. If all is going as planned there will be a speedup in processing. I cant promise anything but Iam confident.
That might be very interesting for Mac users running the latest 64 bit OS
Old 2020-03-16, 09:03   #5
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

2×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
I am unable to creat an account, as new accounts are not been created, how does one start?
I have used BOINC in the past for many, many years

Sorry if this is off topic
Old 2020-03-16, 12:29   #6
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

32·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayanne View Post
I am unable to creat an account, as new accounts are not been created, how does one start?

It is not nescessarely off topic

Have you followed the steps on the main site: http://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/index.php

and have you prompted the invitation code "pillepalle" (without "") when asked for?

Btw there is not yet loaded any new work for Mersenne/GPU72. I've shown Reb how to reserve a large chunk of work for testing purpose at mersenne.org but unfortunantly he has not been online after I sent him that private message. So hopefully in a few days Pre Alpha test work will be loaded and hopefully you will have an account at srbase ... in case of further problems, reach out in a PM and I'll try to trouble shoot what you may experience

Please note I'm not a programmer, just experienced helper
Old 2020-03-16, 14:03   #7
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

2·151 Posts

Thanks
Old 2020-03-16, 18:26   #8
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayanne View Post

Hi, you must create an account over the website then you can connect with BOINC to SRBase, because of SPAM protection Iam using an invitation code, thats the best protection.
Old 2020-03-17, 17:06   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

11×19×43 Posts

Quote:
Please note I'm not a programmer, just experienced helper
Just to put on the table... This "BOINC / GPU72" thing is not even alpha at the moment.

No testing has been done. Nor is there /any/ IPC between the two systems.
Old 2020-03-18, 10:58   #10
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

32×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Just to put on the table... This "BOINC / GPU72" thing is not even alpha at the moment.

No testing has been done. Nor is there /any/ IPC between the two systems.
Were that not what I actually wrote in that reply you are now quoting?
Old 2020-03-18, 19:08   #11
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

2,357 Posts

Quote:
Were that not what I actually wrote in that reply you are now quoting?

Its a slow progress. The setup for win64 AMD / Nvidia apps are done. Linux and Mac will follow. I hope I can start testing on weekend after I have all server daemons and work scripts up.
Closed Thread