Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2012-04-17, 08:49   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·2,137 Posts
Default {G,GG,S}NFS

I did a C185 from Fib1049 (Sean Irvine beat me to it, but I finished it) by GGNFS (yafu) all by myself except the poly you gave me, and that was the largest successful personal attempt. But I asked because I imagine that ratio between the effort on a C204 and the effort on a C185 is the same as the ratio between a C185 and a C155, (a+b)/b=b/a, as we are talking golden ratio now :P

Short version, the C204 would need much more effort, time, resources and... knowledge than I can afford.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-04-17 at 08:50
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 11:27   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

163748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I did a C185 from Fib1049 (Sean Irvine beat me to it, but I finished it) by GGNFS (yafu) all by myself except the poly you gave me, and that was the largest successful personal attempt. But I asked because I imagine that ratio between the effort on a C204 and the effort on a C185 is the same as the ratio between a C185 and a C155, (a+b)/b=b/a, as we are talking golden ratio now :P

Short version, the C204 would need much more effort, time, resources and... knowledge than I can afford.
Typical ignorant remarks from someone who refuses to study this subject.
F1049 was a C219 (not C185) and was done via SNFS by Sean. Anyone
who might have tried to do the C185 by GNFS rather than the (far
easier!) C219 by SNFS would need to have his/her head examined.

Are you actually claiming that you did the C185 by GNFS????

The C204 is via GNFS.

Yet you blather about a "ratio between the C204 and a C185" and the
"golden ratio" (as if the latter had any relevance!!!! Bleh!). Are you
even aware that the this "ratio" is a bogus measure since the time
complexity function is sub-exponential?

Do yourself a favor. Go learn about this subject.

Do the rest of us a favor. Go away until you have something intelligent
to say.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 15:06   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

216416 Posts

Welcome back Mr Silverman! Please turn on your joke detector, related to the "golden ratio" part. I am sure that anyone except yourself got the joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Are you actually claiming that you did the C185 by GNFS????
Yes, I do! I am claiming that I did the C185 by GGNFS using yafu and ggnfs binaries. I had the poly from fivemack and sieved the rational side with -siever 14, as per bsqured advice, and I can make available all the relations and log files to who is interested. The history, at least partial, is on the yafu thread and on the link supplied in the former post.

Quote:
Do yourself a favor. Go learn about this subject.
I try, but you somehow overestimate my capabilities. :P For the time being I would limit meself to addition and nodular subtraction (not a typo).

Quote:
Do the rest of us a favor. Go away until you have something intelligent
to say.
Do you mean forever? :P According with your standards, that could be so, that is why I can't do that. Ye better keep yer promise and put me in that (in)famous ignore list of yers... I'm a bugger, ye can't get rid of me so easy..

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-04-17 at 15:10
Old 2012-04-17, 15:14   #4
axn

Jun 2003

3·1,531 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I do! I am claiming that I did the C185 by GGNFS using yafu and ggnfs binaries.
He didn't ask GGNFS -- he asked GNFS. And you certainly didn't do GNFS, you did an SNFS.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 15:18   #5
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
He didn't ask GGNFS -- he asked GNFS. And you certainly didn't do GNFS, you did an SNFS.
Well then to be fair, RDS misinterpreted him first... as did I.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 15:29   #6
axn

Jun 2003

3·1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Well then to be fair, RDS misinterpreted him first... as did I.
Yes and no. When talking about SNFS numbers, the size of the actual composite is irrelevant, only the size of the "special number" for which you constructed the poly is relevant [in this case, I take it that that is a S219] So comparing the efforts for C204, C155 and C185 naturally leads one to assume that the C185 was done by GNFS (since the other two were GNFS efforts).

Last fiddled with by axn on 2012-04-17 at 15:30
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 15:48   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Like always, a pleasure when you step in! Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I did as I explained, and I never claimed I understand this stuff. If you say it is SNFS, well, I really believe you. My knowledge frontier is a tick wall just behind SIQS (and in front of NFS) as I repeatedly claimed here around. Everyone according with his own capabilities . No need to argue about...
Old 2012-04-17, 16:49   #8
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

11100111111002 Posts

Quote:
Like always, a pleasure when you step in! Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I did as I explained, and I never claimed I understand this stuff.
Then why do you prattle about subjects that you acknowledge that you
don't understand? Ignorance does not make one a fool. I am
ignorant about almost everything. But I do not discuss things that I know
I do not understand.

What makes one a fool is being unwilling to correct one's ignorance
combined with continuing to discuss the subject while ignorant.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 17:25   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·2,137 Posts

Who's the f'king mod who has split the thread? Out of the original context (where, remember, I was starting by asking, not necessary for me, but for everybody who reads!) this thread really looks like RDS says, and I really look like an idiot...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-04-17 at 17:27
Old 2012-04-17, 17:29   #10
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

634910 Posts

I regret that you look like an idiot because, in this case, you have done what RDS is accusing you of.

The difference between SNFS and GNFS is really not a subtle one; akruppa and I are unlikely to be throwing CPU-decades and CPU-centuries around in a conversation about a task equivalent to something that you've done on one computer in the last few months. The response to being called on it is 'oops, my bad' and to moderate your writing style to something less aggressive in the future.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 17:39   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·2,137 Posts

I was only trying to help, by eventually offering my hardware resources for the linear algebra phase. The question was trying to clarify if I have the resources or I am only dreaming (not I personally, but generally speaking). The (additional) joke was just a joke. The one which was aggressive, uncalled for, and attack to person (not to idea) was not my post. Beside of making fun around, some of us know more then they let to be seen.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-04-17 at 17:40