mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2011-12-16, 14:38   #12
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
Life expectation of raw panels is 25 years, and I was using the £5 figure which includes installation, connection and warranty rather than the £2 figure for the panels alone.
Life expectation is less, believe me, I work in the area.
em99010pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 17:19   #13
debrouxl

Sep 2009

977 Posts

Yeah, the life expectation of solar panels isn't that high indeed.
debrouxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 19:00   #14
stars10250

Jul 2008
San Francisco, CA

3118 Posts

I recently noticed on my power bill that I pay double for power at 6 pm, 22 cents/KWH, compared to other times that are 11 cents/KWH. They charge different hourly rates throughout the 24 hour cycle, with those being the high and low. I know storage via batteries is a costly proposition but I wonder if using them to provide compute power at those peak-rate times would pay for itself in a reasonable period. They could be charged by solar or the local utility. I too spend a lot on power for GIMPS, more than the cost of the computers themselves.
stars10250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 19:19   #15
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars10250 View Post
I recently noticed on my power bill that I pay double for power at 6 pm, 22 cents/KWH, compared to other times that are 11 cents/KWH. They charge different hourly rates throughout the 24 hour cycle, with those being the high and low. I know storage via batteries is a costly proposition but I wonder if using them to provide compute power at those peak-rate times would pay for itself in a reasonable period. They could be charged by solar or the local utility. I too spend a lot on power for GIMPS, more than the cost of the computers themselves.
Here we also have that possibility, one price for all hours or two prices for different hours and even three prices for three ranges of hours. You need to make some calculations about what equipments you have consuming and at hours to see which one is more beneficial. What I did was to know what equipments are usual on, like the frig...and the ones you turn on occasionally, like the wash machine, oven, etc You need to play with all those things to be sure to choose the right regime of payment.

By the way, a small correction, it's kWh and KWh. k of kilo and not K of Kelvin (temperature).
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 20:14   #16
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

143148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars10250 View Post
I recently noticed on my power bill that I pay double for power at 6 pm, 22 cents/KWH, compared to other times that are 11 cents/KWH.
I too am on a staged-rate scheme ('Economy Seven'); there's a standing charge of about £120 per year, then 16.1p per kWh for seventeen hours per day and 5.9p per kWh for the other seven. It's designed for people with electric storage heaters, but it seemed when I did the sums to be the best deal (13.1p/kWh) for people with a constant 24/7 load.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 00:46   #17
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22×29×47 Posts
Default People who live in glass houses ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Here we also have that possibility, one price for all hours or two prices for different hours and even three prices for three ranges of hours. You need to make some calculations about what equipments you have consuming and at hours to see which one is more beneficial. What I did was to know what equipments are usual on, like the frig...and the ones you turn on occasionally, like the wash machine, oven, etc You need to play with all those things to be sure to choose the right regime of payment.

By the way, a small correction, it's kWh and KWh. k of kilo and not K of Kelvin (temperature).
By the way, a small correction, it's equipment and not equipments. "Equipment" is both a plural noun and a singular noun.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 01:39   #18
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
By the way, a small correction, it's equipment and not equipments. "Equipment" is both a plural noun and a singular noun.
Don't you just love the English language?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 01:59   #19
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

59·167 Posts

"I recently noticed on my power bill that I pay double for power at 6 pm, 22 cents/KWH, compared to other times that are 11 cents/KWH."

Sheesh! And I was feeling put upon by a 7.7xx cents rate. (I don't remember the last two digits. It would round to 7.8 anyway.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 05:34   #20
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

I'm an engineering hacker...the price of solar panels is becoming competitive with the $1 per installed watt for thermal power generation.

The ultimate GIMPS hacked installation would be solar panels feeding into some part of the DC power system that operates the GIMPS computer(s), and GIMPS runs in proportion to the available solar power.

This saves all the cost (in semiconductors and filters and backfeed control) associated with trying to generate AC, and it makes maximal use of the solar power.

Not that it will be cheaper than simply plugging in the computer, but it won't be *too* expensive, and it will produce a pleasing result.

Now, maybe I ought to ask if it's practical to get my hot water from my roof, which I do own...it freezes here, and it's been a year since I've been up there to clean the gutters, which need it.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 07:10   #21
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

59·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
I'm an engineering hacker...the price of solar panels is becoming competitive with the $1 per installed watt for thermal power generation.

The ultimate GIMPS hacked installation would be solar panels feeding into some part of the DC power system that operates the GIMPS computer(s), and GIMPS runs in proportion to the available solar power.

This saves all the cost (in semiconductors and filters and backfeed control) associated with trying to generate AC, and it makes maximal use of the solar power.

Not that it will be cheaper than simply plugging in the computer, but it won't be *too* expensive, and it will produce a pleasing result.

Now, maybe I ought to ask if it's practical to get my hot water from my roof, which I do own...it freezes here, and it's been a year since I've been up there to clean the gutters, which need it.
Cool concept on the self-regulating solar GIMPS station.

On the solar/thermal panels, I think you can use anti-freeze in the exposed parts, and run it through a heat exchanger. Does your roof get buried in snow? Face a convenient direction for solar rays?
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 09:20   #22
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3·1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Thank you for the correction, English is not my native language and therefore I appreciate your note. SI units are universal.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote