chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

101011001110002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I miss you, Dad. And I am sorry I don't have better news to report on the day meant to honor you, and all those who served.
Deeply resonate. If I may please share...

I was born Canadian because my father and his twin brother (eager young British lads) lied about their age, and volunteered to be trained as fighter pilots. Life expectancy approximately ten (10#) missions. Lucky (for me), the war ended before my father could be deployed.

My stepfather (somewhat older) was actually "on the ground" during D-Day. As an engineer. Getting tanks and troops and ammo through.

I also miss my fathers. It is somewhat sad having to report the current state of things to them. And I always find that those who have actually "served" tend to be a bit more serious than those who just talk.

So much sacrifice. Few truly remember, let alone understand.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-11-11 at 21:59
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-11, 23:27   #79
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

254708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Which democracy is that? Are you seriously suggesting it is the USA?
Actually... I left the democracy I was talking about undefined intentionally. I'm currently working with more than one.

The UK, and its Pound, is also in a bit of a state of uncertainty.

Markets don't like uncertainty.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-15, 13:50   #80
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×1,553 Posts

Electile Dementia candidate Kari Lake will NOT be Arizona's next Governor. Democrat Katie Hobbs has been declared the winner, with a margin of about 20,000 votes or 0.8% (50.4% to 49.6%).

Lake, of course, is refusing to concede. Given the less-than-1% margin there may well be a recount. Based on results of recounts in previous elections, it would not change the tally by anywhere near enough to change the outcome.

EDIT: During the campaign, Liz Cheney took out an anti-Lake campaign ad. Lake tweeted her thanks, claiming the ad actually helped her campaign.

When the outcome was announced, Liz Cheney replied by tweeting, "You're welcome."

Lake's refusal to accept the outcome came in a tweet saying "Arizonans know BS when they see it."

To which I reply, "Yes, that's why you lost."

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-11-15 at 14:39 Reason: as indicated
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-18, 20:42   #81
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×1,553 Posts

Kari Lake, the loser in the 2022 Arizona Governor's race, is whining about a "broken election system" in Arizona.

How that could have happened is an interesting question, since the Republicans have held the office of Arizona Governor since 2009, a majority in the Arizona State Senate since 2003 (and since 1993 except for a 15-15 split from 2000 to 2002), and a majority in the Arizona State House of Representatives since 1967.

Despite the election already being over, she has put out a video using Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down" as background. And guess what...
Quote:
The Tom Petty estate and our partners were shocked to find out that Tom's song 'I Won't Back Down' was stolen and used without permission or a license to promote Kari Lake's failed campaign.

This is illegal. We are exploring all of our legal options to stop this unauthorized use and to prohibit future misappropriations of Tom's beloved anthem. Thank you to all of the fans who brought this to our attention and who help us protect his legacy every day.
She can refuse to concede until the cows come home, but it won't make a bit of difference. But if she doesn't back down on her song abuse, she may be sued.

UPDATE: The estate of Tom Petty has sent Kari Lake et al a message. I was unable to get the exact text so the following may not be completely accurate:

Well, you used our song
It was just so wrong
The copyright owners are truly pissed
So you will cease and desist

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-11-20 at 01:01 Reason: as indicated
Old 2022-11-19, 08:02   #82
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

10,273 Posts

Quote:
Kari Lake.
We followed her through the eyes of Trevor Noah since very beginning, i.e. 3 weeks ago when he "featured" her for the first time (he has few more vids which include at least "mentions" about her, and he made us very curious from start, to see how the story will end).
Very funny to watch.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-19, 13:19   #83
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

141048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
We followed her through the eyes of Trevor Noah since very beginning, i.e. 3 weeks ago when he "featured" her for the first time (he has few more vids which include at least "mentions" about her, and he made us very curious from start, to see how the story will end).
Very funny to watch.
Stephen Colbert showed the offending video, but with a more appropriate choice of background music - Tom Petty's Don't Come Around Here No More.

Kari Lake has learned from The Master:
Quote:
I do whine because I want to win and I'm not happy about not winning. And I am a whiner and I keep whining and whining until I win.
-- [Guess who] (August 11, 2015)

What a great inspiration for the next generation!

Anyone who believes the loser of the 2020 US presidential election "really" won, must also believe he is no longer eligible for the office. It's in the Constitution (Twenty-second Amendment, ratified 1951).
Old 2022-11-19, 13:34   #84
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

1A1716 Posts
Default The squeaky wheel gets the oil

Quote:
Quote:
I do whine because I want to win and I'm not happy about not winning. And I am a whiner and I keep whining and whining until people give me what I want just to shut me up.
Fixed that for [Guess who].
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-01, 14:20   #85
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×1,553 Posts

After the last occupant of the White House had the infamous White Supremacist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes (picture below), along with Ye (FKA Kanye West) to dinner at Mar-a-Lago, Republicans have been trying to outdo each other in pretending that the Republican Party hasn't been the political party of US racism since at least 1964.

Mitch McConnell did some world-class gaslighting:
Quote:
There is no room in the Republican Party for antisemitism or white supremacy. And anyone meeting with people advocating that point of view, in my judgment, are highly unlikely to ever be elected president of the United States.
I hate to break it to you, Senator McConnell, but this man already has been elected president of the United States. After virtually every racist on the planet claimed him as their champion.

Nick Fuentes' supporters certainly would have been surprised if the gracious host had condemned Fuentes' views, as Kevin McCarthy said he had. Of course, he was lying. As is every Republican who tries to pretend they're either shocked or surprised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nick_fuentes_2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	27683  
Old 2022-12-01, 14:47   #86
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

10,891 Posts

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, Senator McConnell, but this man already has been elected president of the United States. After virtually every racist on the planet claimed him as their champion.
It was highly unlikely. Some kid in his basement rolled 20 15 times in a row.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-01, 15:50   #87
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

154608 Posts

Regarding McConnell's statements, he is also not aware of how many racists were elected elsewhere in this past election. Apparently he only thinks that racism is an issue WRT the role of POTUS.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 14:06   #88
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Regarding McConnell's statements, he is also not aware of how many racists were elected elsewhere in this past election. Apparently he only thinks that racism is an issue WRT the role of POTUS.
You mean like, making sure a Black US president can't fill vacancies in the Federal judiciary, including on the US Supreme Court?