mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Homework Help

Old 2015-03-28, 12:27   #1
harishdeen

Mar 2015

12 Posts
Default Factoring Calculations

Hi,

I have my maths test on next week and also i have little struggle on factoring calculations. Basically i have used factoring calculator to solve my homework problems. For class tests, i don't have this type of options. So, can anyone help me how to do factoring easily without calculator? any shortcuts? I am horrible at math expression factoring.

thanks in advance.
harishdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 13:47   #2
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

5×569 Posts

divide by all prime below the square root of it.
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 13:51   #3
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishdeen View Post
Hi,

I have my maths test on next week and also i have little struggle on factoring calculations. Basically i have used factoring calculator to solve my homework problems. For class tests, i don't have this type of options. So, can anyone help me how to do factoring easily without calculator? any shortcuts? I am horrible at math expression factoring.

thanks in advance.
Is this a troll?

I have never seen a math exam in which factoring numbers were given as problems.

Noone factors numbers without a calculator except the trivial 2-3 digits ones that arise in the
context of other problems.

There is no such thing as "math expression factoring". It is gibberish.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 14:08   #4
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×3×5×109 Posts

Perhaps harishdeen is referring to factoring polynomials?
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 20:05   #5
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

24×19 Posts

Nope. That factoring calculator factors numbers.

Perhaps if the OP had worked on doing his/her homework by hand instead of using the tools available on the internet, then he/she wouldn't have this problem.
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 21:21   #6
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

45B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishdeen View Post
Hi,

thanks in advance.
Could you show us an example of a problem that might appear on your homework or on an exam?
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-30, 03:45   #7
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5·223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Is this a troll?

I have never seen a math exam in which factoring numbers were given as problems.

Noone factors numbers without a calculator except the trivial 2-3 digits ones that arise in the
context of other problems.

There is no such thing as "math expression factoring". It is gibberish.
The OP did not indicate their age/grade level. It is entirely possible that they are in elementary/middle school (K-8) and learning for the first time about the concepts of prime numbers and factoring. Indeed, the first time I was introduced to the uniqueness of prime factorizations of integers was via constructing "factoring trees" in the sixth grade (age 11). Elementary mathematics (that is, K-5) tends to concentrate more on the basic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division (sometimes to an unnecessary degree; I can remember homework problems on multiplying two five-digit numbers and performing long division of a five-digit number into a twelve-digit number). Then again, I can still multiply and divide quite well in my head even now at age 32. The "higher" concepts of "how" and "why" mathematics "works" are not usually explored until the middle school years.

I understand, Bob, that most (if not all) of your experience has been in higher education, but I guarantee that if you have children or if you have taught mathematics to children, it is most certainly not true that you "have never seen a math exam in which factoring numbers were given as problems". Or, if not such an exam, then certainly at least a quiz. It is therefore quite unfair to dismiss the OP's question as trolling.
Old 2015-03-30, 09:46   #8
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

746010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
The OP did not indicate their age/grade level. It is entirely possible that they are in elementary/middle school (K-8)
Not from the way it was phrased.

If you believe what you wrote then I have a bridge for sale.
Old 2015-03-30, 10:25   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

261608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Not from the way it was phrased.

If you believe what you wrote then I have a bridge for sale.
The way it was phrased included "I am horrible at math expression factoring" which led me to conclude that factoring polynomials was what was intended.

Note that integer factorization is useful for factoring polynomials --- try factoring 132x2 - 83x - 1365 by hand if you disagree.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-30, 18:33   #10
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

I think I have figured this one out: the OP is at least spamming and at worst a bot. Note that the unusual phrase "expression factoring" appears in both the OP's post and in the URL for the "factoring calculator". Trying to drop keywords to bring Google searches their way, I'd guess.
Old 2015-03-31, 00:00   #11
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

164448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
I think I have figured this one out: the OP is at least spamming and at worst a bot. Note that the unusual phrase "expression factoring" appears in both the OP's post and in the URL for the "factoring calculator". Trying to drop keywords to bring Google searches their way, I'd guess.
Any bets as to whether this troll responds to the various questions and/or offers clarification?