mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2006-10-11, 16:59   #1
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts
Default Bummer

Not going to be supporting much of anything for a while at least. Just had a massive electrical failure that took several computers out. Surge supressors didn't supress enough I guess. :( The strange thing is that none of the older socket A stuff got hurt, but the 939 stuff really took it in the shorts. Lost my main server with stuff for Lars, and also my backup server, and some other equipment too. Pretty disheartened about the whole scene at the moment.
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 19:56   #2
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

First of all: make a cup of tea (preferrably with a non-electrical cooking plate).
And then I am sure that not everything is lost. The HDs may be recoverable when plugged in a different computer, idem for other parts as CPUs and memory.
You might not get working everything, but something.
Don't loose courage. Yours H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 03:51   #3
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Well didn't do the tea.... :) But did spend the day digging through stuff. Did save my crunched stuff, and sucked down many many diet cokes. The HD's were okay, which is really the most important thing. I've now got two backup systems along with the primary server. I looked out the window and noticed that it had become dark outside, so I guess the world is still turning. Didn't appear that way earlier this morning though. Still in business crunching, not as much, but still crunching.
Old 2006-10-13, 09:22   #4
Chino112

Mar 2006

1910 Posts

bummer indeed. condolences from me and my family. we all felt a disturbance in the force which felt like a million bytes crying out then suddenly silenced.
Chino112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 16:56   #5
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

LOL............... as they should! :)
Old 2006-10-24, 09:27   #6
hhh

Jun 2005

5658 Posts

You're crunching quite well again, it seems to me. So finally, not that much of your equipment went to smoke?
H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 20:44   #7
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

I'm back to crunching again, minus one system. Will wait until around the New Year probably before I pick up any new systems. For sieving the old systems are fine since it's really more a function of the cpu clock speed. So I've got a couple older systems (xp1800's) I can use until I get the new stuff. :)