mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Closed Thread

Old 2020-04-07, 07:56   #188
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Sure. But like I said above, GPU72 is about helping GIMPS. It is ***not*** GIMFS.

I feel I have wasted several days of time, being misled about what SRBase was actually going to deliver. Now I need to figure out where the needed "heavy-lifting" firepower is going to come from...
May I ask, why isn't GPU72 doing the immediately needed work at first?

To be honest, we all have to accept that Reb is spending quite an amount of his time on supporting a project he has never fell around nor wanted to work with. SRBase is predominantly about helping CRUS. I may read you wrong, but whatever Reb decides to do, it is still because of the time you invested and whatever is done at BOINC will free GPU72 ressources to do the "immediately needed" bit levels.

There is also the thing about BOINC. Just to make things clear, if I decided to run bit 77-78 at n=98.7M, I would have to spent 2.9-3.5 days without interruptions, before completing 1 workunit. That way I will be excluded from participating in supporting GPU72 through BOINC, simply because I would fail to reach the deadline that is 8 days+1 day grace period. So we simply also have to offer something for those having slow and old equipment, rather than smashing what may be immediately needed work, that excludes a lot of willing users. So with that conlclusion in mind, if Reb decides to run breadth first - then more users can actually support the project and therefor more firepower would be immideately available.

Please note that I can see it from both sides, but I just can't see what we should reduce the potential firepower that BOINC can administer, by doing work at BOINC that excludes some users from participating, when there is users at GPU72 that could just as easily do the heavy lifting.

Take care and stay safe
Old 2020-04-07, 08:56   #189
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

23×52×23 Posts

For the current work queued it is good to see that the guy with 13no. RTX2080 is back, by his own he can process 110 wus/day (77-78 bit batch) after the credits has been aligned with other BOINC projects. Well done!
Old 2020-04-07, 09:26   #190
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
For the current work queued it is good to see that the guy with 13no. RTX2080 is back, by his own he can process 110 wus/day (77-78 bit batch) after the credits has been aligned with other BOINC projects. Well done!
Cool

Glad to see that we actually has gotten the credit right
Old 2020-04-07, 13:34   #191
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24×5×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Where do you think the 10,000 candidates at 77 came from? Why do you think all the Cats (even the "churners") are being given candidates at 77?

Quote:
To be honest, we all have to accept that Reb is spending quite an amount of his time on supporting a project he has never fell around nor wanted to work with.
That explains a lot.
Old 2020-04-07, 14:44   #192
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

25·3·52 Posts

Quote:
Well, it's a good thing GPU72 has quite a bit of firepower of its own, willing to do what's actually immediately needed rather than just what's easy.

Edit: Actually, could you please change the name of your sub-project over on SRBase? You're using my Service Mark without permission. Perhaps GIMFS would be more appropriate.

I can only change the name in database but this will break everything, all is related to this word. Never seen that this name is protected. Can we have a compromise or can I have the permission?
Old 2020-04-07, 14:51   #193
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

25·3·52 Posts

Quote:

To be honest, we all have to accept that Reb is spending quite an amount of his time on supporting a project he has never fell around nor wanted to work with. SRBase is predominantly about helping CRUS. I may read you wrong, but whatever Reb decides to do, it is still because of the time you invested and whatever is done at BOINC will free GPU72 ressources to do the "immediately needed" bit levels.

There is also the thing about BOINC. Just to make things clear, if I decided to run bit 77-78 at n=98.7M, I would have to spent 2.9-3.5 days without interruptions, before completing 1 workunit. That way I will be excluded from participating in supporting GPU72 through BOINC, simply because I would fail to reach the deadline that is 8 days+1 day grace period. So we simply also have to offer something for those having slow and old equipment, rather than smashing what may be immediately needed work, that excludes a lot of willing users. So with that conlclusion in mind, if Reb decides to run breadth first - then more users can actually support the project and therefor more firepower would be immideately available.

Please note that I can see it from both sides, but I just can't see what we should reduce the potential firepower that BOINC can administer, by doing work at BOINC that excludes some users from participating, when there is users at GPU72 that could just as easily do the heavy lifting.

Take care and stay safe

Why we are starting from the lowest? We still need to track down issues with the apps. If this is solved we can double the current output, attracting more users to help will double the output again. There are so many issues with mfakto and we could need these apps too for all OS. The range 73-74 could be done in 2 weeks, 74-75 in a 1/2 year, etc. If you can see only with a few users we have enough output to climb to the TOP10. Primegrid can do this faster but they havent any interest in this project thats why someone asked me to give it a chance. My server software is rather old but its working.
Old 2020-04-07, 14:57   #194
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24·5·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
Never seen that this name is protected.
GPU72 has existed since before 2012. Please see this Internet Archive snapshot for independent confirmation. Copyright, and all rights were reserved, from that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
Can we have a compromise or can I have the permission?
You may not have permission. However, as a compromise, I will allow you one month (from today) to make the transition.

I don't want to have confusion between your sub-project, and my own BOINC project, which I'm currently in the process of implementing.
Old 2020-04-07, 15:27   #195
kuratkull

Mar 2007
Estonia

2·67 Posts

Just a note: You can not (usually) copyright a word/name. A word/name needs a (possibly registered) trademark. What you may have on your hands with GPU72 is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unregistered_trademark

Last fiddled with by kuratkull on 2020-04-07 at 15:28
Old 2020-04-07, 15:39   #196
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

904010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuratkull;542029What you [I
may[/I] have on your hands with GPU72 is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unregistered_trademark
I'm aware. But, clearly, GPU72 has been (demonstrably) around for significantly longer than Reb's little sub-project. Not just the Domain registration records and the Internet Archive snapshots, but also the nomenclature recorded here at Mersenne Forum.

I'm not trying to be a prick here, but the precedent is those who do not protect their copyrights, trademarks and service marks risk losing them.

And, further, I again don't want confusion in the BOINC space about what project is really working towards GPU72's goals of helping GIMPS. Frankly, it probably would have taken me less time to set up my own BOINC project than the amount I invested trying to help Reb.

To be clear, I'm not asking SRBase to stop doing TF'ing. They're free to continue getting the easy work from GPU72, so "toes aren't stepped on". And, several years from now, some if it will actually have been useful.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2020-04-07 at 15:51 Reason: s/pick here/prick here/;
Old 2020-04-07, 15:41   #197
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5×13×127 Posts

Colouring mine
Quote:
GPU72 has existed since before 2012. Please see this Internet Archive snapshot for independent confirmation. Copyright, and all rights were reserved, from that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuratkull View Post
Just a note: You can not (usually) copyright a word/name. A word/name needs a (possibly registered) trademark. What you may have on your hands with GPU72 is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unregistered_trademark
Quote:
You're using my Service Mark without permission. Perhaps GIMFS would be more appropriate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_mark

Currently on GPU72 main page:
Quote:
Copyright 2009 - 2020 Ideas 4 Lease (Barbados) (I4L). "GPU72" and "GPU to 72" are Service Marks of I4L. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy
From IA fetch of above link:
Quote:
Copyright 2009 - 2012 Ideas 4 Lease (Barbados). All rights reserved. Privacy Policy
From April 1 IA capture:
Quote:
Copyright 2009 - 2020 Ideas 4 Lease (Barbados) (I4L). "GPU72" and "GPU to 72" are Service Marks of I4L. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-04-07 at 15:43
Old 2020-04-07, 15:51   #198
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24·5·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Colouring mine
Yup. Intellectual property rights laws are a little complicated, particularly in the international domain...
Closed Thread